1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

6 cly 223 Air Conditioner add on pictures

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:10 PM
old broke prospector
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 cly 223 Air Conditioner add on pictures

1962 4x4 half ton. Finally got the "Perfect Fit" ac completed, charged and tested on a 79 degree afternoon. Note the first picture shows the initial fit test fit up before cosmetics to engine and frame so excuse the rust. I choose this one due to small footprint of receiver and it includes the heater/defroster in the unit. You can not see it very well but there is plenty of room between the shifter and the ac blower face and there are air ducts on each side of the cab.

Attached Images      
Old 04-16-2013, 08:34 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
This is a cool thread
Ac on a old slick
Will a 223 turn that compressor
I love it

Old 04-17-2013, 09:15 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Good job, thanks for sharing; and yes, appears the imprint is minimal. With the summer months coming up imagine the A/C upgrade will be appreciated. Have not been in a vintage truck with A/C it would be interesting how cool it stays in the cab??

Old 04-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Is that Perfect Fit the brand of AC you are using. It looks like a great fit and any cool is better than none when it comes to these rolling ovens on wheels. With the headliner out and the firewall insulator out they heat up fast in the summer months. Right now I just go as fast as I can with the windows down.My ac sixty2down right now.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Macs1964F100
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep us posted on how well the AC preforms as the weather heats up. I live in San Antonio so the heat is past brutal 6 months of the year. I have not really considered AC but you looks slick.

Is your battery located under the cab. I am thinking of relocating the battery in my 64. I have the 292 and the battery is in the way for some maintenance.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:08 PM
Faber
Elder User
dont plan on changing a lot, but this will be done....appreciate the pics

Old 04-17-2013, 03:43 PM
old broke prospector
Elder User
Macs1964, the battery is under the cab, right hand side.
Buzz, Perfect Fit from Classic Auto Air out of Tx.

Here are a couple more pictures of how the system is installed on the 223. The kit is for a Chevy 6 cly fit up but I converted it easy enough, drilled 2 holes and used the supplied spacers.

Again, excuse the dirt and rust, these pictures are from the initial fit up before the cleaning of the frame.

Attached Images     
Old 07-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Faber
Elder User
Any word on how well it works?

Old 07-03-2013, 09:36 AM
old broke prospector
Elder User
Originally Posted by Faber
Any word on how well it works?
Glad you asked. It is too hot to work in the shop or outside so this may be .

The system works great, installation was pretty easy but a long process as expected. Pull your seat before doing this job. The hardest part is the modification to the brackets as explained before.

The longest trip I have taken with the ac installed in 15 miles through town with 6 or so red lights in 90 degree heat. I am looking forward to a 250 mile trip to test the system next month.

I modified the system electrical. I installed an inline fuse to the system and bypassed the limit switches that regulate when the ac compressor is on.

The original has the ac compressor shuttiing off when shifting to defrost or when the heater is supplied with air. I want ac supply to the defrost vents when desired so I installed an ON OFF (push off , pull on) switch between the fan switch power supply to the automatic inline temperature shut off switch / pressure shutoff on the drier / compressor clutch. This switch is installed on the right hole of the dash below the instrument panel and lookes good. It is easier to understand once you see the wiring and limit switches, etc.

I can now manully shut off the ac clutch as desired and allow for cool air to the defroster vents as desired. They system still has the automatic safety shut offs.

Initlally, I installed the side vents but did not like the "fancy" looks so I removed them. This is still a "4x4 work truck". The air now just blows under the dash out of sight.

I suggest installing a long water drain line from the cab to behind the battery holder to minimize rust.

Of note..... I lost the first ac charge due to not doing one of the basics in ac repair and installation..... check the tightness of the schrader valves (valve stems) before filling or looking for a leak. I also suggest you add a dye with the first fill.

I hope this helps.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:25 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by old broke prospector
The longest trip I have taken with the ac installed in 15 miles through town with 6 or so red lights in 90 degree heat.
Did it keep you cool?

Would you mind telling us how much it set you back?

Old 07-03-2013, 02:04 PM
old broke prospector
Elder User
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
Did it keep you cool?

Would you mind telling us how much it set you back?
Cost $1388 incl. shipping, you still have to add freon and buy a shorter belt than the one they send.

My ac on the day I tested it put out 50 degree F. air at the face and that was plenty cool for a pickup.

I was worried about the 223 over heating. Here is a quote from Hiball3985 on adding ac to his 223. I used Classic Air, he used Vintage Air which I think is priced at $1200 or so. Their in cab unit is larger (if my memory is correct) and I wanted the smaller foot print.

"I've had AC ( Vintage Air ) on my 223 for about 10 years. I had a 3 row radiator in it from day one back when I built the truck in 1975. I have never had a problem. Last summer we did a 2200 round trip from Los Angeles to Chama NM in 100+ temps pulling a lot of long grades without a problem. I'm using the stock 4 blade fan and a 180 degree thermostat. I had to move the radiator back about 1 inch to get everything to fit so the fan is now about a 1/2 from the core."

Note that Hiball moved his radiator back towards the engine to make the installation a bit easier, I did not.

If I have cooling problems with my recored original, I will install a shroud but I do not expect any problems.

Last edited by old broke prospector; 07-03-2013 at 02:11 PM. Reason: placed quotes in bold
Old 07-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Faber
Elder User
All the information is very appreciated, I've book marked this thread as this will be an add on ill do.
Thanks for the help.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:10 PM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
Back when I bought my Vintage Air they didn't have a kit for a 223. I bought a universal kit, it was about $900 at that time. I had to fab my own brackets to mount the compressor and generator.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:49 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
INFO PURPOSES: Those who are interested, and live within reasonable distance, Vintage Air website notes they will have a booth at the Goodguys Rod and Custom show in Pleasanton, Ca. Aug. 23-25, if you have not attended one of G'Guy's events it starts on Friday thru the weekend and usually can not see the entire show in 1 day. They have a number of events thruout the US of A. I tend to migrate to the swap meet section where I have come away some hard to come by items. The only issue with me is the concession folks punk you for parking and admission??.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:58 PM
old broke prospector
Elder User
Originally Posted by hiball3985
Back when I bought my Vintage Air they didn't have a kit for a 223. I bought a universal kit, it was about $900 at that time. I had to fab my own brackets to mount the compressor and generator.

Wow.... at least I had a basic bracket kit that only required drilling a few new holes and making and adding one spacer. My hat is off to your skills.

Quick Reply: 6 cly 223 Air Conditioner add on pictures