Painting my chrome bumper questions....

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting my chrome bumper questions....

So I would like to paint my front chrome bumper black on my 2005 Super Duty. This is what I was thinking of doing.
Remove or sand the chrome with an angle grinder using a Zirconia grit flap disk going from 60 to 120 grit.
cleaning it with Acetone, priming it with Duploi-Color Adhesion Promoter and than painting it Matte Black or using truck bed paint.

Here the links of what I would be using:
Flap Disks: Type 29 Flap Discs | DEWALT Tools

Dupli-Color :: Adhesion Promoter

RustOleum.com

What do you think? Has anyone done this?
Thanks everyone

Old 04-19-2013, 09:41 PM
Bodyshopboy
Freshman User
The chrome itself is very hard and you'd be grinding on it forever. The only way I'd successfully painted a chrome bumper was having a rechromer dip it to remove the coating. Then you can sand it down like sheet metal, prime and paint. Done this on a few gmc Sierra bumpers because they never did come colored.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:23 PM
04fivefour
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gage2502
So I would like to paint my front chrome bumper black on my 2005 Super Duty. This is what I was thinking of doing.
Remove or sand the chrome with an angle grinder using a Zirconia grit flap disk going from 60 to 120 grit.
cleaning it with Acetone, priming it with Duploi-Color Adhesion Promoter and than painting it Matte Black or using truck bed paint.

Here the links of what I would be using:
Flap Disks: Type 29 Flap Discs | DEWALT Tools

Dupli-Color :: Adhesion Promoter

RustOleum.com

What do you think? Has anyone done this?
Thanks everyone
you ever thought of plastidip?

Old 04-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Bodyshopboy
Freshman User
If you're just going black you can always have it powder coated. They can blast it, primer and cost for a fair price. (Around here at least)

Old 06-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
Ok so looking to do my dechrome and paint my bumpers soon. I emailed Dupli-Color and heres what they said...
hank you for taking the time to contact Dupli-Color. We appreciate your interest in our products.

In order to paint chrome, you would really have to scuff that surface. Then use the CP199 as a primer. This will allow the paint or truck bed coating to bond to that surface. I would not use the Self-Etching primer.

I hope this information is helpful. Please respond back you require additional assistance.

What do you guys think I was going to use the Self-Etching primer, than paint.
You think that the Adhesion Promoter #CP199 would be better.
Thanks

Old 06-17-2013, 02:38 PM
Bodyshopboy
Freshman User
Sealer

Only time I bother with n adhesion promoter is when I'm dealing with plastic. It it's metal theni go with a 1k primer. Acid etch will help stick to the bare metal and give you a good base for whatever you to apply to the top of it. Good luck.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 04fivefour
you ever thought of plastidip?
I thought of doing plastidip but dont know if it would look good, because I dont think it would be smooth. Would that stick to chrome?

Old 06-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Bodyshopboy
Only time I bother with n adhesion promoter is when I'm dealing with plastic. It it's metal theni go with a 1k primer. Acid etch will help stick to the bare metal and give you a good base for whatever you to apply to the top of it. Good luck.
Ya I thought that adhesion promoter is mainly for plastic too. Question what is 1K primer? Also Im having trouble finding the brand "Duplicolor self-etching primer" I went to Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Ace, Menards.....
I bought some Rustoluem self-etching primer, or is Duplicolor a better brand?
Thanks again

Old 06-19-2013, 04:25 PM
Bodyshopboy
Freshman User
The stuff we is in the shop either standox or sherwin Williams. Any auto body supply or paint store should be able to set you up. Sorry 1k is a self etch that needs no hardener. Usually an aerosol. 2k is the same stuff it's just a 2 part mix and spray product.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:18 AM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Bodyshopboy
The stuff we is in the shop either standox or sherwin Williams. Any auto body supply or paint store should be able to set you up. Sorry 1k is a self etch that needs no hardener. Usually an aerosol. 2k is the same stuff it's just a 2 part mix and spray product.
Thanks for the reply.....So I just redid my factory running boards on my Super Duty...they where chrome plated aluminum. So last summer I sanded the chrome off with an angle grinder with 50grit paper and than down to 80grit, I than just painted them with Rustoleum bed liner and they started to chip in some spots so the other day I sanded all the bed liner off and some was stuck really good but I wanted to take it off to the bear aluminum and then apply self etching primer and than the bed liner....So I hope this time it works.
I was impressed on how well the Rustoleum Self Etching Primer works and their bed liner works really well too. I was looking for the Duplicolor Self Etching Primer but I could not find it around here.

Ok so I have another idea....I was thinking on using Rust Bullet on my bumper project....So I emailed them and heres what they said...

"Thank you for your interest in Rust Bullet Products. When applying Rust Bullet to chrome surfaces we would recommend scuffing the surface with 150 grit sanding sponges or sand paper. Also, we suggest you treat the surface with Rust Bullet Metal Blast Surface Cleaner and Conditioner. It will not only treat the dirt, oil, etc., it will lightly etch the surface to provide an appropriate profile to enhance the paints adhesion to the chrome.

Please do not hesitate to contact Rust Bullet Technical Support if you have additional questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Technical Support
Rust Bullet, LLC"

What do you think?

Do you think that im "over thinking this" bumper project?