1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Scratch this

Old 04-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Dotnodrog51
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratch this

I have been lurking around the forum for quite awhile. I have gleamed a lot of very useful info in my efforts to build a running and driving vehicle. Every search has given some tidbit of info needed.
Alas,my last search resulted in "not found". Ya'll have been able to answer so many queries...here is another.
I am out to dinner with the wife this evening and this is what she reluctantly shared. While in the garage this afternoon she grabbed a 2X4 off the rear of the truck. Unfortunately I had used that implement to store some parts. They proceeded to fall into the rear of the freshly painted cab. There is a scratch. From what I understand, a loooooong scratch. In her defense it will "be hidden behind the bed".

My question. How is this best played?

Old 04-14-2013, 09:19 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Dot,
Hmmm... Dangerous question there... I've been married 30+ years - I've done so many gotcha's in my time - my wife is way ahead - I owe her.
Just give her a hug & say "forget about it - no big deal". But...

Don't forget about it & pull it out once in the far distant future when she's about to hit you with that 2x4. Use it as a "get out out of jail free card".

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 04-14-2013, 09:32 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
With a short memory and complete understanding. There isn't any need to remind anyone on a future date - she already knows and will never forget. You'd best act accordingly - 'cause you really don't want to get into comparing account balances.

DW

Old 04-14-2013, 09:42 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Put the smartphone down, kiss your wife, and order dessert. We are truck people--not polishers. These trucks have been scratched before and will be again. Then stop lurking and show us pics, including the scratch.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:47 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
Put the smartphone down, kiss your wife, and order dessert. We are truck people--not polishers. These trucks have been scratched before and will be again. Then stop lurking and show us pics, including the scratch.
I have to agree Just think of it this way, you won't have to worry about being afraid of that first scratch, it's already been done

Old 04-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Dotnodrog51
Freshman User
On the way home she was a little nervous about me seeing the scratch for the first time. Told her I was more interested in checking out the replies to the post. Now she sees why. Some very insightful and better yet cautionary advice.
Nice laugh at the first scratch being out of the way. I'll post some pics tues on the day off.

PS..dessert was delicious

Old 04-14-2013, 11:08 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree, just give her a kiss and let her know shes way more important than any scratch.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:18 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Five years ago my best friend in the world just finished a $30k restoration on a 67 Mustang GT. It was beautiful. His mother, God rest her soul, scratched the paint as she exited the car after the first ride. My friend, who is a great guy otherwise, LOST IT! He said things he should not have said. Two weeks later, after changing out a brake hose, he jumped in the car, backed it up, forgot he hadn't bled the brakes, rolled into the street and was t-boned by a 1995 Grand Prix with no insurance....

Hug your wife, love your wife and bring up the scratch when you do some REALLY stupid (because we are guys and do such things) and MAYBE it will get you some sympathy.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:18 PM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Love does not keep score.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:46 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think you should let it slide.

You could always act upset, then forgive her later & enjoy the make-up sex.

How about that...two different and diametrically opposed responses...that's kind of like no response at all.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:20 AM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Welcome Dot! Glad to have you upgrade from "lurker" to "poster". Soon... we hope you'll be "picture sharer". I did the same thing.

Not long after my wife and I were married she wasn't used to my car being in the drive and backed out of the garage and hit it. Didn't bother me at all... just an accident. She actually thanked me more than once later for not being mad at her. A good wife is hard to find (The first time didn't work out so well for me) and life is short...

Old 04-15-2013, 09:53 AM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
I agree, these are trucks and every (well most anyways) can consider it a character mark. Just the other day I had my daughter (almost 2) with me out in the garage.. Turn my back for a second only to hear a metallic band Ing.. Look back to see her with a wrench banging on the fender. She thought it was cool :P thankfully I haven't done bodywork or paint yet, but I do now have a cluster of small dings to smooth out. Someday when she's old enough to have her own vehical, I'll need to tell her this story and ask if I can borrow a wrench cuz its my turn

Old 04-15-2013, 10:14 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So now we have a "Dear Abby" thread.

Could we see some pictures? Here is how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan

You can also go to the "Garage" tab and start an album right here on FTE. After you post pictures to an album, we can look in your album, but you'll also be able to "insert a picture" by pasting in a link to the picture in your album.

It seems awkward, but whenever you "insert a picture" to one of these threads, the forum is looking for the picture somewhere on the web (which is always available) rather than from somewhere on your hard drive (which isn't always available).

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jolly Roger Joe

Welcome to FTE!

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
The best photos and videos | Photobucket

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

When you have the spot in your post where you want the pic to be placed, select the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post (looks like a mountain) and paste (right click / paste) the image info you copied in the highlighted box (just shows "http://" when it opens).

Your pic will be placed in the post.

Hope that helps.

Here's a tutorial Bob put together: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/67...-pictures.html

Old 04-15-2013, 04:02 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For get about it- In her way of thinking it was your fault for leaving the parts there in the first place. Suck it up quite worrying about it and enjoy the truck.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:32 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Dot,
Hmmm... If you plan to use your truck - ie drive it out on the open road &
not trailer it everywhere don't worry about dents & scratches - they just happen. We had new tires/wheels put on & they threw the old ones in the bed (scratch), Some place was helping me with a bent rod issue & slammed the hood - cracked the front valence & paint, A couple of rust spots popped out in one of the doors. It just happens. I told the guys helping with my paint I didn't care about dents - I like the character & I don't want to have to worry about every little ding.

Our paint job looks good but it's far from perfect - don't sweat it.
Our 1950 just got back from a couple of months at college with my son - he's careful but he parks with all the other kids - stuff happens - I'm glad he likes driving it.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Attached Images  

Last edited by ben73058; 04-15-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Spelling

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scratch this