1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1950 F2 Rebuild Chronicle

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 05:27 PM
TBHHUNT
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you know what, I just found a thread on here asking about the same thing.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-just-buy.html

Old 03-20-2014, 10:33 PM
TBHHUNT
Junior User
Trying to figure out this bumper. Appears to be hand made. Any thoughts if this was a style of bumper found as after market at the time?

Old 03-20-2014, 11:51 PM
EAK69
Senior User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TBHHUNT
So I am beggining to gather all the engine parts to take the block to H&H flat heads for a rebuild. I come across the part the holds the oil filter on the block and it's broken. I can't find it online anywhere. Any insight on where to purchase a new piece? Checked mac's and lmc.
I have an extra one as well - the oil canister and top has been cleaned and powder coated so it looks new.....

Old 03-21-2014, 02:30 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bumper is an aftermarket for the era.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:46 AM
Dziadzu
New User
Know anyone who needs this?

51-52 fFord truck speedometer

Old 03-28-2014, 04:56 PM
TBHHUNT
Junior User
Originally Posted by Dziadzu
51-52 fFord truck speedometer
no but ill ask around

Old 03-28-2014, 05:05 PM
TBHHUNT
Junior User
Alright. Dropped off the engine block two days ago to be rebuilt! Went and checked out colors today for the body. picked out a dark cherry red at a semi gloss. So I decided to go with a dark cherry red semi gloss exterior and a jet black semi gloss interior. The interior of the engine bay will also be jet black and the engine is being painted the cherry red.

So now I am turning my attention to rebuilding the frame. I have to finish removing the rear springs then the frame will be sand blasted and painted. Also need to rebuild the rear drum brakes. I hope to have the frame rebuilt in the next 10 weeks before I get my engine back. Already bought my new front disk brakes. I still need to buy new shocks, gas and brake fluid lines, new u-bolts since I had to cut the originals, and a dual master brake cylinder. I am thinking about taking the leaf springs apart, cleaning and repainting them. But not decided. Right now I have the original carburetor sitting in front of me... and am not sure what kit I should buy to rebuild it or even how to. I was looking at Mac's auto, but not sure what kit should be purchased.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:32 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Personally I like Vintage Speed's kits for the carb, they have the correct type of power valve and decent gaskets. Most kits for the Holley 94 (original type) are really kits for the later Holley 2110 as used on Y-blocks, and while most parts fit fine, the power valves rarely do. Vintage Speed also has all the external linkages if you don't want to live with the rusty stuff. What jets were in the carb? (#51's were stock)

Old 03-28-2014, 09:55 PM
TBHHUNT
Junior User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Personally I like Vintage Speed's kits for the carb, they have the correct type of power valve and decent gaskets. Most kits for the Holley 94 (original type) are really kits for the later Holley 2110 as used on Y-blocks, and while most parts fit fine, the power valves rarely do. Vintage Speed also has all the external linkages if you don't want to live with the rusty stuff. What jets were in the carb? (#51's were stock)
I'll check the jet size tomorrow and post it. Not sure as of right now. I am betting they are stock #51 as these carbs have as far as I can tell, never been rebuilt. What size jets should I go with? Also have a link for vintage speed or do I just put that in google? I can't seem to find the website you speak of

Old 03-28-2014, 11:18 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Charlie Price's Vintage Speed | World's largest supplier of 50's – 60's Style Hot Rod fuel systems

No reason to vary from stock jets, just curious. Over the years jets sometimes get changed in an attempt to correct problems, sometimes in the mistaken idea that bigger jets = more HP.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:16 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I have had good results with over the counter carburetor kits. At one point I was rebuilding so many carbs I memorized the Car Quest part number: ECC 1434. A common mistake is to use the wrong gasket on the power valve. A less common mistake is to use the spark control valve in the power valve location.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:09 PM
TBHHUNT
Junior User
My main though on changing the jet size was that because of the introduction of ethanol, it takes more gas to get to that same mile. Therefore more gas would need to be pumped in to get the same power. At least that was what I was thinking. But if stock jets work, stock jets work.
I took the accelerator pump out of the carb this morning. It has a synthetic cup on it. Didn't they come with a leather cup stock? I am wondering if this means that this carb was rebuilt at some point. Thanks for the link Albuq f-1. The next question is, what carb rebuild kit should I go with? My carb appears to be in good shape (but this is still my first time rebuilding a carb so what do I really know about the condition of a carb). They are offering the basic, deluxe and master.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:23 PM
TBHHUNT
Junior User
Anyone have any got sites for a new wire harness? Mac's is selling theirs at 15% off, bringing the total to $200. I am going to buy it unless someone knows where I can find one for less.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:14 AM
TBHHUNT
Junior User
Where do you guys buy your fuel filter's for the stock fuel pump? I found the item on LMC trucks but they want 8$ just for shipping a 2$ item. I guess I need to just buy them in bulk? Correction, they appear to only sell the filter for 55-56. So.. that leads me to the same question, Where do you guys buy your filters?

Old 04-04-2014, 02:18 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
If you are looking for the ceramic filter to fit inside the glass bowl of the fuel pump, best to stop looking. They are not reproduced and the original versions were poor solutions. From other threads, those with direct knowledge strongly discouraged their use due to a tendency to clog and poor performance as a filter. The alternative is a generic clear plastic in-line filter from any auto parts house. I chose to put mine near the tank, others have them under the hood. They are not original but should give you the results needed.

Quick Reply: 1950 F2 Rebuild Chronicle