Notices

cleaning a black truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by ALAN_50501
think it is 30 days before you can apply wax or polish to area with fresh paint
While there is no timeframe recommended & even the bodyshops wash new paint after any detailing is done, IMHO....I like to have the paint set for a month or 2....as it shrinks and minor flaws that you would normally try to 'fix" typically will almost disappear!

An ol time technique also is to (after washing) is to wash the vehicle with ice water...again, it really induces shrinking and the exposure to the snow.....you have basically done that.

The only recommendation that I do have is with regards to any stickers, vinyl stripes, clear bra...wait a year.....There is nothing official (doc) to support this but it just seems that when these products are applied to fairly new paint, down the road there are issues that pop up....when the paint is 1 year old...just doesn't seem to happen.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
If you just got your truck, look at the production date on the sticker in the door jamb. Your paint is probably already a few months or more old.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Thanks again for all the advice...

I just went ahead and pulled the trigger and ordered the Profection sealant. I think it will be shiny enough for me. I was about to chicken out and just pay to have it detailed due to the acreage of paint on an extended cab truck with a topper. But I think if I just go a little slower that it won't be so tiring. I'll also take the truck down to CO to do the washing and waxing.

I tried washing my work truck with this well water and it left a white residue behind from the bicarbonates and sulfates. That wasn't too bad since the truck had just gotten sprayed down with dirty oil accidently. I didn't think an automated car wash was going to get that mess off.

Thanks again

Old 06-05-2013, 09:05 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
Thanks again for all the advice...

I just went ahead and pulled the trigger and ordered the Profection sealant. I think it will be shiny enough for me. I was about to chicken out and just pay to have it detailed due to the acreage of paint on an extended cab truck with a topper. But I think if I just go a little slower that it won't be so tiring. I'll also take the truck down to CO to do the washing and waxing.

I tried washing my work truck with this well water and it left a white residue behind from the bicarbonates and sulfates. That wasn't too bad since the truck had just gotten sprayed down with dirty oil accidently. I didn't think an automated car wash was going to get that mess off.

Thanks again
Post pics when your done...would love to see it....
BTW- it is really easy to work with.........what I would also recommend is picking up a $20 -6" orbital and use a foam pad to apply the sealant...you would be surprised how ell those little guys actually work....you should be able to do the entire truck in about an hour- hour & 1/2 including the wipedown....and definitely do that by hand...

Old 06-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Thanks for the confidence but like I said before...I can ruin new paint faster than anyone so I'll do the whole thing by slower by hand. I also stopped by the fabric store and picked up 2 yards of flannel...it cost about $12.00 and the way the cashier asked I'm sure I should of had a coupon with me...LOL...you think some redneck WYO cowboy is gonna have a coupon with him??? Or that I'm gonna drive back home after comming to town to look for one???

The only thing I'm dreading is the 3 coats you're recommending...but I know that sometimes you can make things worse by dwelling on them rather than just getting up and doing them.

I noticed this weekend that I probably don't even do a good enough job washing a car after I washed one. o I will wash it at least twice and try a bit harder.

I think you will be surprised at how easy it goes on & comes off......the 1st coat like all other products will go on a little slower because you are working it into the paint....but the additional coats are just coatings....just wipe it on and off.....

Old 06-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
Thanks for the confidence but like I said before...I can ruin new paint faster than anyone so I'll do the whole thing by slower by hand. I also stopped by the fabric store and picked up 2 yards of flannel...it cost about $12.00 and the way the cashier asked I'm sure I should of had a coupon with me...LOL...you think some redneck WYO cowboy is gonna have a coupon with him??? Or that I'm gonna drive back home after comming to town to look for one???

The only thing I'm dreading is the 3 coats you're recommending...but I know that sometimes you can make things worse by dwelling on them rather than just getting up and doing them.

I noticed this weekend that I probably don't even do a good enough job washing a car after I washed one. o I will wash it at least twice and try a bit harder.

I think you will be surprised at how easy it goes on & comes off......the 1st coat like all other products will go on a little slower because you are working it into the paint....but the additional coats are just coatings....just wipe it on and off.....
Pics yet?

& what was your opinion on the product so far?

Old 06-24-2013, 11:09 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
That Profection polish was much easier to use than the Meguiars wax I had been using. I bought a few yards of flannel like you recommended and it worked very well for removing the wax. I put it on and took it off by hand and it wasn't as much work as regular wax. I did a double coat on the front grill area and the bugs wash off real easy.

Thanks again for all the info...

These pics aren't as nice as the ones you put up but they do show the shine with all the reflections you see...

Old 06-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Beechkid
Hi Guy!

That is a beautiful truck to start with!!!!!

While no pics ever really show what the eye sees & the hand feels, the paint on yours does have a very high level shine....(I see, reflection on reflection).....
I am very happy you found the product worked for you as you had hoped (and even a little less work than expected is always a good thing!!!!!!!!!)

You definitely did a good job of cleaning the paint before apply the sealant- that make a big difference...even on new paint!

g back at ya!!!

Old 06-24-2013, 12:30 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Yes, I washed it twice and put the sealer on right over the decals. I even put the sealer on the lights to help slow down the oxidation that plastic lenses seem to suffer from. The sealer doesn't leave the white residue like wax does on the edges of the decals and emblems.

I'll put on a scond and third coat in a few weeks...