Notices

4R70W rebuild - I make Fixed

Old 04-12-2013, 09:02 PM
96_F250_Deezal
Elder User
96_F250_Deezal is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.96_F250_Deezal is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Arrow 4R70W rebuild - I make Fixed

picked up a transmission off CL last week for $80. Seller says is was removed from a 2003 F-150 4wd.

I got the transmission apart and inspected for damage. This transmission appears to have been rebuilt and fairly recently.

I found it's a 96 case that's been updated to a 2001-2003 spec transmission.
I know this because of several things; the ID tag says its a 96 transmission and the OD servo bore has a bleed hole.

2001 and newer transmissions dont have this bleed hole because of case of valve body changes.
Because of the valve body changes in 2001, the 2-3 servo piston/spring retainer was redesigned.
The new design is taller then the previous one, its supposed to measure .586".
Mine appeared to worn or ground down, it measured .540". I replaced it with a new one. 1L3Z-7B264-AA

I found several problems during tear down, ALL the clutch packs were worn and burned, including the Reverse clutch.
The 2-3 accumulator piston has a chunk of rubber missing from it.

This obviously caused a sealing issue and loss of pressure.
The direct clutch is completely fried. the clutches got so hot the fiction material was burned off and the metal plates are warped.
The internal spline clutches also appear to have spun on the splined clutch hub and are stripped.

The drum got so hot the piston seals are melted !

The torrington bearing that rides on the direct clutch hub came apart, as a result the planetary gear contacted the direct clutch hub.
This contact along with the heat caused the bushings in the sun gear and the planet to be welded to the direct clutch hub input.
I had to use large hammer and punch to seperate the 3 pieces.

Debris from what was left of the torrington bearing. (upper race and rollers)

It also appears the spacer in the direct clutch is not seated flat in the direct drum.
This spacer also acts as the race for the torrington bearing that failed.
I don't know if this is the cause of the failure or if debris got under the spacer after the the bearing came apart.

Because of the extreme heat in the Direct clutch area, the output shaft speed sensor was also cooked.
It took a lot of persuasion to remove it from the case.

The Mechanical diode one way clutch (OWC) was completely seized. The inner race is cracked in 4 places and there is a small piece broken off.
The outer race is blue and discolored.

I also discovered this transmission has a TransGo shift kit installed. In Jerry's thesis TCCoA Tech Articles, he specifically mentions you don't want to use teflon sealing rings on the front pump because it causes sealing issues with the Forward clutch hub, the TransGo kit has you install teflon rings on the front pump. Jerry also mentions hole #3 on the seperator plate needs to opened to .160/180". On this seperator plate, hole #3 was soldered closed and there was a teeny tiny hole drilled instead.

There is some sort of metal valve installed on the valve body, they claim is a EPC solenoid releif valve. Since I don't know whats been
changed in the valve body, I don't know how it will react to the J-mod calibation. So, I am replacing the entire valve body. I will do the Jmod on the replacement valve body and I know it be right.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:15 PM
jk080
Posting Guru
jk080 has a great reputation on FTE.jk080 has a great reputation on FTE.jk080 has a great reputation on FTE.jk080 has a great reputation on FTE.jk080 has a great reputation on FTE.
Wouldn't you want to find a core that is in better shape?

All that damage and a transgo shift kit, I dont know about that one it looks like trouble.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:10 PM
96_F250_Deezal
Elder User
96_F250_Deezal is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.96_F250_Deezal is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I finally got this transmission to assemble correctly. It appears during the previous rebuild, somebody install the incorrect torrington bearing in the #3 position (for the forward clutch drum).

The bearing that was installed was thicker than the correct bearing for that position, so the final end clearance was way off, installing the correct bearing solved the problem. It took me a while, but I finally figured it out.