1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Chip Chasers (prospective buyers)! Read this first!

Old 05-06-2013, 11:39 AM
cjgray1974
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
CJGray, and Others (including Jason at DP Tuner):

1. I understand why you would want to monitor EGT's from each head. Can you, should you, use one gauge to monitor both EGT sensors? I.E., is there a dual gauge reading both EGT sensors? Or are you using two gauges, one for each sensor? And what gauge(s) are you using/would you recommend for reading EGTs? Do you install the sensors on the manifolds? Or in the up-pipes? For us van guys the up-pipes are easily accessible, smiling at you once you remove the "doghouse" (i.e., interior engine cover). And you can work on the up-pipes on the bench and not worry about having drill filings fall into the turbo, etc.

2. What gauge are you using/would you recommend for reading Fuel Pressure? And where do you recommend installing the sensor? After fuel pump or out of the fuel bowl? (Again, for us van guys, there is very little room at the fuel bowl, especially if we are thinking about doing the FrX.)

3. If I use somebody else instead of DP for tunes (haven't decided yet), should I use DashDAQ XL instead of Infinity for my OBDII gauge/data logger? Or is there a price or function difference which would cause me to buy Infinity regardless of whose tunes I run? (Jason, I am hoping you jump in here with both feet on this question.)

Thanks, in advance guys.
I would use the Infinity over the dash daq. The infinity has a lot more options and is set up for our trucks, also DP is making a hub that will allow you to use the infinity to switch your chip and is gonna be compatible with all chips, not just DP's. The Infinity is a complete scan tool, not sure if the Dash Daq is or not.

Justin would know more than me, but here is something he posted on another site.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
CJGray: I knew there was a reason I sent you reps... thanks!

Now how about what gauge(s) are you using to monitor your EGTs? Or are you monitoring both manifold sensors through the Infinity?

Old 05-06-2013, 12:30 PM
cjgray1974
More Turbo
CJGray: I knew there was a reason I sent you reps... thanks!

Now how about what gauge(s) are you using to monitor your EGTs? Or are you monitoring both manifold sensors through the Infinity?
Well thanks for the reps.

I'm monitoring only one EGT right now, and its an add on to my Infinity. They are coming out, hopefully soon, with a hub to add up to 8 sensors plus a dual EGT. I will be getting it ASAP, however I miss my analog guages too, so I'll probably add some of those in the future.

Adding the sensors to the Infinity will allow data logging of everything. Thats why I don't just do the analog gauges. If my truck is acting up I want to be able to see everything when I record data.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Tugly
  1. EGT is so crucial... even on a stock truck (it tells you when sumthin' ain't right). Ford did not put an EGT sensor on the truck, so that's on us. The ideal placement for the EGT sensor(s) is at the exit of the exhaust manifold: You get all four cylinders on that side and you get the closest reading to cylinder temperatures (the important aspect of EGTs). Besides... it's thick there and better for threading. Dual EGTs are ideal for the reasons mentioned by cjgray1974, but not everybody will be this "dedicated"... so a single will suffice for many. If I were frequently towing heavy, I'd want duals. One could install two sensors and a switch to go back and forth between the manifolds, install two complete gauges, or two sensors and a dual-needle gauge or dual-aux inputs on an OBDII gauge.
Hmmm... hey wait just one minute ... Isn't heat additive? So, if we stick an EGT sensor on only one of the manifolds aren't we reading only 1/2 of the EGTs going to the turbo?

And for that matter, if we stick a sensor in each of the manifolds, don't we need to double it to get the true EGT reading?

So wouldn't it make sense if we were to only use one sensor to stick the sensor at the junction of the baby's butt?

Or in the exhaust down tube?

[I wonder If my "reasoning" is stuck in some kind of infinite loop.]

Old 05-06-2013, 12:51 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm... hey wait just one minute ... Isn't heat additive? So, if we stick an EGT sensor on only one of the manifolds aren't we reading only 1/2 of the EGTs going to the turbo?

And for that matter, if we stick a sensor in each of the manifolds, don't we need to double it to get the true EGT reading?

So wouldn't it make sense if we were to only use one sensor to stick the sensor at the junction of the baby's butt?

[PS, I hate doing Ford's job for them.]
With one sensor you will read the temp on that side only - Heat is not additive, it will balance out to an average of the 4 cylinders on that side.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
You will lose significant heat by the time it reaches the collector... and there is no way to tell how much to offset the EGT reading. The exit of the manifold gives the highest reading of anywhere on the entire exhaust system (external to the block). So many people have the sensor here, this is where you can compare with their readings if you have a question.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:21 PM
cjgray1974
More Turbo

heat doesn't add up. Like heating your house, if it's 70 inside and your adding 70deg air it will never get above 70, you have to add 80deg air to heat up the house. Then it depends how long your furnace is on how big your house is and how much air your furnace puts out.

That's the reasoning for dual EGT's if your monitoring one side say at 1000deg and have a cylinder not firing the other side could be 1500deg. Then bad things start happening. Then if you have a sensor in the collector you might be reading 1250 and not realize you have a problem until you start scattering parts down the highway.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Thanks for your patience guys!

As an examiner once said to me during a group exam, "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people asking questions!" (everybody laughed but me...)

Old 05-06-2013, 03:11 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice post Rich! It is hard to get across to folks that you build from the bottom up. Not from the top down. Hope you and yours (Stinky too) are doing well.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by dn29626
There may be a straight answer here but i am not seeing it.
I am still looking at gages. Fuel pressure, EGT/pyrometer, trans temp, (drawing a blank on the other-maybe boost).
Of these, what does OBDII provide?
The OBDII port can provide trans temp and boost out of the list you have there. The PCM also monitors many more things that you do not have on that list. This would include ICP, IPR, EOT, RPM, VSS(vehicle speed), Voltage, Injector PW, Torque Converter Lockup, Glow Plug On Time, Gear Commanded, and hundreds more.

CJGray, and Others (including Justin at DP Tuner):

1. I understand why you would want to monitor EGT's from each head. Can you, should you, use one gauge to monitor both EGT sensors? I.E., is there a dual gauge reading both EGT sensors? Or are you using two gauges, one for each sensor? And what gauge(s) are you using/would you recommend for reading EGTs? Do you install the sensors on the manifolds? Or in the up-pipes? For us van guys the up-pipes are easily accessible, smiling at you once you remove the "doghouse" (i.e., interior engine cover). And you can work on the up-pipes on the bench and not worry about having drill filings fall into the turbo, etc.

2. What gauge are you using/would you recommend for reading Fuel Pressure? And where do you recommend installing the sensor? After fuel pump or out of the fuel bowl? (Again, for us van guys, there is very little room at the fuel bowl, especially if we are thinking about doing the FrX.)

3. If I use somebody else instead of DP for tunes (haven't decided yet), should I use DashDAQ XL instead of Infinity for my OBDII gauge/data logger? Or is there a price or function difference which would cause me to buy Infinity regardless of whose tunes I run? (Jason, I am hoping you jump in here with both feet on this question.)

Thanks, in advance guys.
1. You should use two separate gauges to monitor each bank separately to get the most accurate reading. As stated, most people only monitor one bank(usually drivers side) because it gives you a general idea of where you are at temperature wise. However, monitoring both banks is beneficial because as stated by cjgray1974, you may have an issue on one bank and not the other.

The end of the exhaust manifolds, right before they enter the up-pipes, is the best place to install the thermocouplers. As Tugly stated, this is the most accurate temperature you are going to see because the exhaust gas hasn't had time to cool.

2. With an additional sensor you can monitor fuel pressure with the Infinity, or you can get an analog gauge which pretty much every gauge manufacturer offers. I personally monitor everything with the Infinity and have done away with analog gauges completely.

If you have a stock fuel system, there is a port on the back side of the fuel bowl which has a plug in it from the factory. You remove this plug, screw in an adapter to convert to NPT, and then put in a fuel pressure sending unit.

3. You can still use the Infinity if you choose to use someone else's tunes on their chip. The Infinity offers many more features than the standard DashDAQ XL, and cjgray1974 provided you with the list that points out the differences. Think of it this way. The DashDAQ XL is more of a scan tool, whereas the Infinity is a scan tool, diagnostic tester, and a tuner.

You will hear the terms buzz test a lot on this forum and others. This is a engine specific test that checks the function of the injectors electronic side. It is great for helping to diagnose issues, and will cost you some money to have done at a shop. The Infinity is able to perform this test, and the DashDAQ is not. That is one example of how the Infinity goes beyond the standard DashDAQ unit.

Originally Posted by cjgray1974
I would use the Infinity over the dash daq. The infinity has a lot more options and is set up for our trucks, also DP is making a hub that will allow you to use the infinity to switch your chip and is gonna be compatible with all chips, not just DP's. The Infinity is a complete scan tool, not sure if the Dash Daq is or not.

Justin would know more than me, but here is something he posted on another site.

That is correct.

And for those of you who haven't seen it yet, here is a picture of the CEI-HUB.

Here is a picture of the screen where you are able to change tunes on any multi-position chip.

Well thanks for the reps.

I'm monitoring only one EGT right now, and its an add on to my Infinity. They are coming out, hopefully soon, with a hub to add up to 8 sensors plus a dual EGT. I will be getting it ASAP, however I miss my analog guages too, so I'll probably add some of those in the future.

Adding the sensors to the Infinity will allow data logging of everything. Thats why I don't just do the analog gauges. If my truck is acting up I want to be able to see everything when I record data.
Yes, that is correct as well. The HUB is very close to being released. Jody has put it through the ring of fire as far as testing goes, and it has performed flawlessly.

The quote below gives a great explanation.

heat doesn't add up. Like heating your house, if it's 70 inside and your adding 70deg air it will never get above 70, you have to add 80deg air to heat up the house. Then it depends how long your furnace is on how big your house is and how much air your furnace puts out.

That's the reasoning for dual EGT's if your monitoring one side say at 1000deg and have a cylinder not firing the other side could be 1500deg. Then bad things start happening. Then if you have a sensor in the collector you might be reading 1250 and not realize you have a problem until you start scattering parts down the highway.

If anyone has any questions at all, don't hesitate to contact me or anyone else here at DP-Tuner. We are all more than willing to help you out.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 05-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Thanks Justin! So, it seems that (regardless of tunes) the Infinity is a great OBDII plus external sensor gauge especially with the multi-sensor hub to be released.

Now, to justify, weigh the price, I need to compare the logging and testing abilities of the Infinity to AE. (I think there is a thread already started on this topic somewhere.)

Tug, I hope you don't consider this a thread hijack. You told us that we needed to get our vehicles up to 100% before chasing a chip. And it seems from your threads that we need: 1. gauges, and 2. analytic software/device such as AE or maybe Infinity to assure that our vehicles are up to 100%. No?

Old 05-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Thanks Justin! So, it seems that (regardless of tunes) the Infinity is a great OBDII plus external sensor gauge especially with the multi-sensor hub to be released.

Now, to justify, weigh the price, I need to compare the logging and testing abilities of the Infinity to AE. (I think there is a thread already started on this topic somewhere.)

Tug, I hope you don't consider this a thread hijack. You told us that we needed to get our vehicles up to 100% before chasing a chip. And it seems from your threads that we need: 1. gauges, and 2. analytic software/device such as AE or maybe Infinity to assure that our vehicles are up to 100%. No?
No problem.

Yes, regardless of who you use for tuning, the Infinity is still a great option. The HUB is what will let you control any multi-position chip(regardless of the tuner).

There is some info comparing the Infinity and AE in Tugly's thread. Let me know if you have any additional questions though.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 09-13-2013, 07:34 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Great thread, I'm glad I finally took the time to read it & and sorry I posted my stupid question before taking the trouble to. This explained exactly where & why I should be positioning my 2nd EGT probe.

Tugs, top marks from this side of the planet!!

Old 09-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Crazyotto1
Senior User
subscribing to this thread

Old 09-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Holy crap Tug ! must have been a boring nite in Wash. state!!! Good article and great points!!!

Smokie

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chip Chasers (prospective buyers)! Read this first!