Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Wire off my GPR what is it for

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 12:28 PM
awillo0406
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wire off my GPR what is it for

I have been digging into my GPR problem and last night found a with w/green tracer wire along with a piece of green heat shrinked onto the end tucked up under the brown/yellow wires with the end cut off. What is this wire for and what does it do. Should I get it put back on? I have noticed it in a bunch of the pics in other post of GPR's. Thanks Adam

Old 04-03-2013, 03:27 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
White/LtGrn wire is labeled GLOW PLUG MON, and goes to the PCM (Pin #8) to monitor that the glow plugs have, indeed, received power.

Pop

Old 04-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
White/LtGrn wire is labeled GLOW PLUG MON, and goes to the PCM (Pin #8) to monitor that the glow plugs have, indeed, received power.

Pop
Nice! I was wondering what that wire was for...

Old 04-03-2013, 06:09 PM
awillo0406
Senior User
So what happens if it is unplugged and doesn't see that the gpr gets power

Old 04-03-2013, 09:58 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I don't know, but I'm not going out and clipping mine off to see.

What are YOU seeing? Any fault codes?

Pop

Old 04-04-2013, 05:55 AM
awillo0406
Senior User
No check engine lights or anything, never checked the fault codes. I think my edge evolution is supposed to be able to do that, but I've never tried it. I know that PCM is not turning on my GPR and the momentary switch that I put in was only giving me 10v at the GP pole of the relay. Any suggestions?

Old 04-04-2013, 06:00 AM
awillo0406
Senior User
Pop, Do you have a copy of the diagram you are looking at the copy I have only shows the pin 8 going to pin 42 on the underhood connector and then going to the PCM controller and never down to the GPR.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:04 AM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
So the PCM knows if the GPR is getting power? Why on earth didn't ford set the WTS light based off of that?!?

Old 04-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

I guess I did have the wiring diagram for this...

Start with drawing 3 and locate the GPR. Then follow the WHT/LT GRN wire with the fusible link to match line 19.

Line 19 picks up on drawing sheet #2 and runs across the page to match line 16.

Line 16 picks up on drawing sheet #1 and runs to pin 8 on the PCM.

I presume the PCM needs to know that the Glow Plugs are NOT hot before it allows the AIH relay to kick in (assuming all other conditions are present for the AIH to come into play).

If this system was OBDII compliant, then the SES would illuminate if the PCM detected a fault with the GP relay since it would be considered an emission control device. In Federal trucks, it might only throw a soft code if anything...

In Excursions and California trucks, problems with the GPCM will throw an SES light from what I've seen.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
1999 Drawing 1.pdf (75.4 KB, 133 views)
1999 Drawing 2.pdf (67.2 KB, 135 views)
1999 Drawing 3.pdf (63.4 KB, 123 views)
Old 04-04-2013, 11:31 AM
awillo0406
Senior User
Since my truck is an e99 I don't have the AIH...wonder if it does anything for my truck

Old 04-04-2013, 02:23 PM
River19
Elder User
OK.....I'll be the guy.......wtf is the AIH? I ahve picked up most of the other acronymns but FWIW IDK WTF the AIH is......

Old 04-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Air Intake Heater.
Ford added it to these trucks part way through the 1999 model year along with a few other bits and pieces (mostly larger intake tubes and revised air box).

I think they did this for emissions reasons because adding the AIH most likely allowed the exhaust to meet minimum opacity spec during certain cold start conditions. This in turn MIGHT have allowed Ford to remove the catalytic converter and save a bundle of money in cost on each truck built. All this is just a theory though....I have no real evidence to substantiate any of this at all.

According to the PC/ED manual for the 7.3....the Glow Plugs and AIH can not be energized at the same time. I presume this is for charging system capacity reasons since the AIH draws about 50 amps while the GPs draw about 32 amps (4 amps each).

For sake of comparison, the 4.5 liter V6 Power Stroke DOES use the GP and AIH relays at the same time under many conditions. Again, I presume this is for emissions reasons since the standards became much tighter around 2005. This may be why the 6.0 and newer diesels have higher amp alternators than our 7.3 engines do. Plus there are more 'features' on board the newer trucks so amp draw must be higher than our 'classic' models.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:05 PM
River19
Elder User
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
Air Intake Heater.
Ford added it to these trucks part way through the 1999 model year along with a few other bits and pieces (mostly larger intake tubes and revised air box).

I think they did this for emissions reasons because adding the AIH most likely allowed the exhaust to meet minimum opacity spec during certain cold start conditions. This in turn MIGHT have allowed Ford to remove the catalytic converter and save a bundle of money in cost on each truck built. All this is just a theory though....I have no real evidence to substantiate any of this at all.

According to the PC/ED manual for the 7.3....the Glow Plugs and AIH can not be energized at the same time. I presume this is for charging system capacity reasons since the AIH draws about 50 amps while the GPs draw about 32 amps (4 amps each).

For sake of comparison, the 4.5 liter V6 Power Stroke DOES use the GP and AIH relays at the same time under many conditions. Again, I presume this is for emissions reasons since the standards became much tighter around 2005. This may be why the 6.0 and newer diesels have higher amp alternators than our 7.3 engines do. Plus there are more 'features' on board the newer trucks so amp draw must be higher than our 'classic' models.
Thanks for the AIH explanation......would that be the low frequency "woosh" that I hear during the WTS process?

Old 04-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by River19
Thanks for the AIH explanation......would that be the low frequency "woosh" that I hear during the WTS process?
No. The AIH will only be energized AFTER the engine is started and the glow plugs cycled off. Even then it needs to be pretty cold outside and a few other conditions. (I can't remember them all right now...)

The 'woosh' sound might be a blend door closing if you are in the habit of leaving your climate controls on a particular setting. Try putting your controls to off and see if the 'woosh' sound goes away.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
Whether that is correct or not, I'll be damned if it doesn't being logic to the world of "there's a lack of rhyme or reason" the E99 automatics had cats and L99+ automatics didn't!

Stewart

Quick Reply: Wire off my GPR what is it for