1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I decided not to sell my 7.3.. What should I do to it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 07:57 PM
landscapeguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I decided not to sell my 7.3.. What should I do to it?

For a while I have been thinking I was going to sell my 1999 F350 supercab long bed this spring but recently decided to keep it. I would like to do a few things to make it more of a pleasure to drive. More in the sense of being more reliable and having more power rather than a soft ride, could care less about that.

What would be the recomended steps from everyone else? Here is what I have thought of so far, listed below in order of how I am going to do them.

First I should say how and what the truck is used for. Its primary use is for my landscaping business and it is used to tow an enclosed 8.5x20 foot trailer weighing around 7.5-8k. it tows this trailer monday through friday with lots of stopping and accelerating, not just sitting on the highway for hours. It already has a rebuilt transmission (bought it needing rebuild) it was done by a friend with a transmission shop and he built it much strong than stock. It isnt used much for daily driving but I do go camping quite a bit with it. And I also use it to tow skid steers and tractors, occasionally around 13-14k behind it. It does tow all of these things fine but I always feel like im working it really hard and what I really want is more usable power while towing to make it feel much more effortless. I am in a fairly rural area so I do travel a lot everyday with the trailer. It already has a banks 4" exhaust from previous owner.
List of what I want to upgrade

1.) Banks big head actuator (mine was bad) already ordered
2.) Gauges- 3 pillar mounted. EGT, boost, trans temp.
3.) AFE II intake. Which is the best to get? they have 3 options
4.) DP Tuner with lots of different tunes
5.) 6.0 trans cooler. where do i get this?
6.) 05-07 style grill from sinister diesel.
7.) Where can I get 05-07 style headlights? Everything i find online are like really fancy and flashy, I like a more stock look.

and then a few other things that arent performance related, i need new bumpers and a tailgate. I also just ordered some Marathon seat covers.

In addition to these what can i do to help towing power?

Old 04-02-2013, 08:15 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to get power you need more air more exhaust gauges and a good tunner.
you have all that coming, so if you need more power then it is injector time.
i would all so do the in tank mods to keep the fuel psi up, HXP, FRX.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
injectors and turbo to accommodate those tunes. that truck is 250 hp, 275 if manual. due to you having a 1999 with the forged piston rods you can take it up to 500hp with only those bolt on replacement accessories, no motor rebuilding. My 2001 has powdered metal rods which are more brittle, can handle up to 400-ish hp.

there are wicked wheels and now second generation wicked wheels for your stock turbo or you can buy a new one, a bigger turbo. I'd buy a new one.

new injectors cost around 2k, remanufactured about half but not as reliable out of the box as brand new ones. Turbo $1350 through about, well heck, I don't even know how high the biggest of them cost but it's not cheap. and if you do take your truck to the highest level of available hp you may need a new hpop.

that's what I've learned so far. good luck.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Bigcat350
Posting Guru
Any idea on how much horse power you are wanting to achieve? All it takes is $$$ and time.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:33 PM
75Three90
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tow.alot.with my 7.3 im going with a tuner gauges.and.exaughst then im done i onl wat.250 to 300 hp mine stock has 215

Old 04-02-2013, 09:10 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
If you have a realistic hp/tq goal or a $ amount budget that you want to put into it then we can really narrow down a solid recipe for you. Without one or the other it's hard to say.
You could go as far a Texas Chain Ring said if you have the cash. Or as simple as 75Three90 is going. There's a HUGE difference in money there. With stock sticks your going to be limited to around 300ish hp
Do you know if you have an early or late 99?
Do you know if your truck is in tip top shape?
Your best bet is to make sure you are building off something that is running at 100% otherwise when you start adding power it might just magnify an existing problem.

1. Good
2. Spend some cash and get quality gauges. I would add a few but that's a great start.
3. There are cheaper routes such as the 6637. As far as afe I'm not sure but if I were to do it again I would go S&B
4. Get a good guesstimate on the weights you pull around so you can get adequate tow tunes.
5. Dealership. May as well get a brand new one for piece of mind but they can be had on craigslist or ebay.
6. Nice
7. I don't know... But when you find them buy 2 sets and mail me one

Old 04-02-2013, 09:20 PM
75Three90
Cargo Master
John is right. Um looking at about a grand exaughst is 400, gauges are about 350 then fhe tuner is about 200 but exaugst ans gauges are top priotity

Old 04-02-2013, 09:22 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
S&b is nice but doesn't flow as much as the AFE. But would be fine for the amount of horse power he would be running. Between any of the intakes it is just a personal preference. Some will be quieter others will flow a little more.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:29 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 75Three90
fhe tuner is about 200
The tuner itself is $200. No start tune and stock are free you still have to buy the tunes on top of the $200 if you go with the F5.

I just wanted to clarify for both of you

Old 04-02-2013, 09:33 PM
landscapeguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by snakedoc
to get power you need more air more exhaust gauges and a good tunner.
you have all that coming, so if you need more power then it is injector time.
i would all so do the in tank mods to keep the fuel psi up, HXP, FRX.
Thats along the lines of what I was thinking. That is what I am going to start with and see how it goes from there, but that will hopefully keep me happy. What exactly are the intank mods?

Originally Posted by Texas Chain Ring
injectors and turbo to accommodate those tunes. that truck is 250 hp, 275 if manual. due to you having a 1999 with the forged piston rods you can take it up to 500hp with only those bolt on replacement accessories, no motor rebuilding. My 2001 has powdered metal rods which are more brittle, can handle up to 400-ish hp.

there are wicked wheels and now second generation wicked wheels for your stock turbo or you can buy a new one, a bigger turbo. I'd buy a new one.

new injectors cost around 2k, remanufactured about half but not as reliable out of the box as brand new ones. Turbo $1350 through about, well heck, I don't even know how high the biggest of them cost but it's not cheap. and if you do take your truck to the highest level of available hp you may need a new hpop.

that's what I've learned so far. good luck.
So with the tuner, exhaust, and intake I need new injectors and HPOP? I was hoping to get as much out of the truck without having to do injectors and HPOP. Although I did think eventually it may be a good idea for the injectors anyway, since it has 170k on it. For that 2K price you mentioned, is that stock or bigger injectors? Im not going to lie, I do not know too much about these engines, enough to get me by but nothing like you guys do. Im not new to diesels, just new to modding them. you are right on, I did see an aftermarket ball bearing garrett turbo for 1299.
Originally Posted by Bigcat350
Any idea on how much horse power you are wanting to achieve? All it takes is $$$ and time.
Well, pretty much the best bang for the buck mods. I am not looking to get a drag racer or fully modded truck out of this. Just enough to make a bit more power for pulling. I was thinking the most common things like intake, exhaust, DP tuner. and then after that MAYBE Injectors. Pretty much keep it under 2k, its not going to be a competition truck.
Originally Posted by 75Three90
I tow.alot.with my 7.3 im going with a tuner gauges.and.exaughst then im done i onl wat.250 to 300 hp mine stock has 215
Sounds good, Let me know how it goes after you do those things

Old 04-02-2013, 09:44 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Old 04-02-2013, 10:28 PM
landscapeguy
Senior User
Wow you guys are awesome! The responses are coming in faster than I can reply

Originally Posted by JOHN2001
If you have a realistic hp/tq goal or a $ amount budget that you want to put into it then we can really narrow down a solid recipe for you. Without one or the other it's hard to say.
You could go as far a Texas Chain Ring said if you have the cash. Or as simple as 75Three90 is going. There's a HUGE difference in money there. With stock sticks your going to be limited to around 300ish hp
Do you know if you have an early or late 99?
Do you know if your truck is in tip top shape?
Your best bet is to make sure you are building off something that is running at 100% otherwise when you start adding power it might just magnify an existing problem.

1. Good
2. Spend some cash and get quality gauges. I would add a few but that's a great start.
3. There are cheaper routes such as the 6637. As far as afe I'm not sure but if I were to do it again I would go S&B
4. Get a good guesstimate on the weights you pull around so you can get adequate tow tunes.
5. Dealership. May as well get a brand new one for piece of mind but they can be had on craigslist or ebay.
6. Nice
7. I don't know... But when you find them buy 2 sets and mail me one
It is a late model 1999. and no, I do not know if it is in tip top shape. A little while back I did have it checked out by a ford dealer after I questioned if it was getting full boost, and they claim that everything was working as it should but they couldnt check the boost. I did have a budget of about $1500
for now, and thats how I came up with that list since I already have the exhaust. I do have apretty good estimate of the weights that I tow and I filled out what I would need with the tunes that he offered on the DP website, but I have heard that you can call him and really customize the tunes if need be, but I do not feel the need for that because he has quite a few good options already. I do plan on getting good gauges and thats why I decided on the ISSPRO guages. Probably EGT, boost, trans temp and fuel pressure mounted on the pillars

Originally Posted by JOHN2001
The tuner itself is $200. No start tune and stock are free you still have to buy the tunes on top of the $200 if you go with the F5.

I just wanted to clarify for both of you
Yes I did know that, the one i built came up to right around $500.

Perfect! thank you so much. are those fairly hard to do?

Old 04-02-2013, 10:47 PM
75Three90
Cargo Master
I was looking at a plug and play maybe my vocab is off maybe its a.progamer like a bully dog type.system. I sure will if e chef erything goes right my diamond eye exaughst will be bought and in the truck in about a month but we all know how that goes. Btw your stock turbo,should hold up to stage 1 injectors

Old 04-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
I don't know anywhere near as much as the guys that are giving you advice as well, just what I've picked up a from a few months of them giving advice and talking to a few diesel mechanics. The 2k is for whatever injectors I want, from stock to 238/200's, with trade in core charge of the the my old injectors. Those numbers, although explained to me a few times, are still not drilled into my head as far as what they mean exactly but someone will explain. It has to do with the nozzles and how much fuel will flow, I do know that, and I believe those numbers pertain to a percentage compared to stock injector size.

I'm running straight tunes (heavy tow, high idle, 60, 80, 120 Street Fury and 140hp All Out) on a ts chip programmed by Gearhead with stock turbo and over 300k miles on the stock injectors. It's a noticeable difference but not what injectors and a bigger turbo will do. I have a Scan Gauge II hooked to my truck that displays hp. The highest I went stock I can't say but with the tunes in 140 hp tune I got 313. In other words having 140 hp chip won't make my 250 stock truck 390 hp, it doesn't work like that. It's to the rear wheels that count and it takes a lot.

All these items are as well sold as a package to produce the whatever hp I or you or anyone wants, called stage I and stage II and so on.

Check it out. Stage II Package

http://www.diperformancetransmissions.com/stiiipa.html

I'm still learning too, but I've priced the injectors and the turbo from DI Performance. New only, I won't take a chance on remanufactured injectors myself.

These others guys are far better equipped to assist in your search than I am but I hope I helped.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:07 PM
75Three90
Cargo Master
I called and left a message pres

Quick Reply: I decided not to sell my 7.3.. What should I do to it?