1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

1966 F100 Shortbed Styleside Full Stock Resto Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:31 AM
theastronaut
More Turbo
Received 188 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by 1966Jacked4x4
From the looks of your C10, you must be a quick learner. Very nice. Can't wait to see F100 when it is finished.
Thanks!

The brake drums, hinges, and manifolds are sprayed with Ospho. We'll get the drums turned and spray them with epoxy tomorrow, along with the hinges and the wheels.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:40 PM
tripleframe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 298 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by theastronaut
It will be a near 100% stock/factory restoration, as close as we can get it. We will try to replicate the factory colors, materials, masking lines, chalk marks, etc. as closely as possible.
This will be more difficult since your not working with an original paint truck. What are you using for reference? There were many paint rules that get covered up when a truck gets repainted. I recommend studying a few low mileage original paint vehicles before any painting. Biggest violation on exterior repaints is covering up the argent gravel shield on '64-'66 Custom Cab F100 2WD F100 and F 250's. Interiors are usually found with incorrect seat covers, incorrect arm rest colors and incorrect steering column and wheel colors.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:12 AM
6t6merc
Cargo Master
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Like tripleframe says and - I presume you will also want to replicate the two-tone paint scheme. Different plants, and maybe different painters, painted two-tones in various ways. Variations can found at the leading edge of the hood, door jambs, and especially at the cowl and firewall.
Eric

Old 04-12-2013, 08:12 AM
theastronaut
More Turbo
Originally Posted by tripleframe
This will be more difficult since your not working with an original paint truck. What are you using for reference? There were many paint rules that get covered up when a truck gets repainted. I recommend studying a few low mileage original paint vehicles before any painting. Biggest violation on exterior repaints is covering up the argent gravel shield on '64-'66 Custom Cab F100 2WD F100 and F 250's. Interiors are usually found with incorrect seat covers, incorrect arm rest colors and incorrect steering column and wheel colors.
Thanks for posting that about the gravel shield, that is the kind of info I was hoping to find by posting here. I will have plenty of questions about what is or isn't correct as we go through the restoration process.

Originally Posted by 6t6merc
Like tripleframe says and - I presume you will also want to replicate the two-tone paint scheme. Different plants, and maybe different painters, painted two-tones in various ways. Variations can found at the leading edge of the hood, door jambs, and especially at the cowl and firewall.
Eric
I did wetsand the repainted areas back in a few spots where I knew the two-tone split was at and took pictures of the original masking lines, but I don't have all of the masking info I'll need.

I found pictures of this 15K mile original paint truck which has the same color scheme. It show the dash painted white, tan column/wheel and gas tank, and the masking lines in the rear door jamb.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:14 PM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LOOKS NICE

Old 04-12-2013, 04:49 PM
theastronaut
More Turbo
Originally Posted by The Masked Rider
LOOKS NICE
Thanks Masked Rider! We made more progress today but I don't have the pics uploaded yet.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:58 AM
theastronaut
More Turbo
Cut out the rear floor rust to get inside the floor brace. We'll blast and prime inside the brace before welding the floor pans back in. We didn't cut the front floors out yet since the new pans aren't here yet- didn't want to cut too much.

Blasted and primed the wheels and brake drums with PPG DPLF epoxy.

Cleaned out the drums, had new races installed, and had them turned.

Sandblasted the front suspension parts and pulled the bushings out. We are sending them out to have the king pins replaced and then we'll prime/paint them all separately.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:21 PM
theastronaut
More Turbo
The front drums are painted, cleaned, and bearings are packed and installed. I sprayed epoxy on the axle last night, then nibbed it and sprayed flattened single stage urethane on it after lunch today. We're getting more of the pieces blasted so we can start reassembling the frame. I will get the rear brakes installed on the axle later today.

Picked up a bunch of parts yesterday at Early Ford V8 Sales in Easley SC.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:19 PM
theastronaut
More Turbo
Had a hold-up with the brakes, it'll be Friday before Napa has the rear brake hardware (thought we already ordered it)... I did get the lines and wheel cylinders installed. Anyone have a source for the vent bolts that hold the brake line distribution block?

Drums ready to install.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:01 PM
Troublemaker427
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Astronaut you may want to take the nuts off that hold the center section to the housing an and spray them with something that makes them look like bare metal (Cast Iron paint etc.) The center sections were painted red oxide before they were installed in the housing so the nuts would not have been painted. Just a small detail, it just depends how far you want to go. Keep up the good work.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:14 PM
theastronaut
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Troublemaker427
Astronaut you may want to take the nuts off that hold the center section to the housing an and spray them with something that makes them look like bare metal (Cast Iron paint etc.) The center sections were painted red oxide before they were installed in the housing so the nuts would not have been painted. Just a small detail, it just depends how far you want to go. Keep up the good work.

Thanks! I did that today, found copper washers at our local Ace hardware.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:42 PM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
WOW, that looks like a 'work of art' that belongs on the shelf - not hidden under the truck. When you show this truck, I hope you have large sections of mirrors to slide under her.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:47 PM
Troublemaker427
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW, that looks like a 'work of art' that belongs on the shelf - not hidden under the truck. When you show this truck, I hope you have large sections of mirrors to slide under her.
X2
Looks great!!

Old 04-18-2013, 03:48 PM
theastronaut
More Turbo
Thanks Masked Rider! We'll detail the whole truck this way; mirrors would help show off the bottom side details if the owner takes it to shows.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:49 PM
theastronaut
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Troublemaker427
X2
Looks great!!
Thanks TM!

Quick Reply: 1966 F100 Shortbed Styleside Full Stock Resto Build Thread