6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 powerstroke white smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 10:35 AM
jwaratah
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 powerstroke white smoke?

hey there im new. i have a 2008 6.4 that is getting around 11.0mpg that being said i bought an afe aftermarket intake. someone told me it would inprove mpg and throttle response. everytime i drive my truck and it goes into regen mode (cleaning exhaust filter) if i come to a stop or stop light white smoke comes from under the hood, and if its bad it will blow out of my heater vents, smells awful like self cleaning oven. ive tried to narrow it down and im leaning towards this intake. please help me.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-31-2013, 10:44 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

I've moved your thread to the 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel forum for better response.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:51 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You should never have any smoke coming from under the hood let alone your vents, how many miles on your truck and are you still in warranty, I would guess you have an exhaust leak, but something isn't right. The intake shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:14 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Put the stock filter back on and take it. You have misaligned up pipe or some other exhaust leak. That is one big safety issue.

Secondly is the white smoke . Some white smoke at the start of a regen is considered normal but it sounds like you have alot more.

So...what else can cause the smoke would be coolant or an overfueling.

So what are all of your fluid levels?

Also you will have more frequent regens if they never get completed and you are always in stop and go traffic.

Probably need to get it on the road and get the regen completed.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:46 PM
jwaratah
New User
Originally Posted by senix
Put the stock filter back on and take it. You have misaligned up pipe or some other exhaust leak. That is one big safety issue.

Secondly is the white smoke . Some white smoke at the start of a regen is considered normal but it sounds like you have alot more.

So...what else can cause the smoke would be coolant or an overfueling.

So what are all of your fluid levels?

Also you will have more frequent regens if they never get completed and you are always in stop and go traffic.

Probably need to get it on the road and get the regen completed.

hey thanks for the help. no i dont do stop and go driving i live on hwy roads. i was just wondering if the aftermarket air intake was allowing smoke to discharge back threw the turbo from the egr at idol, you think i should just run stock air and not chip it huh?

Old 03-31-2013, 06:48 PM
jwaratah
New User
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
Welcome to FTE.

I've moved your thread to the 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel forum for better response.
thank you hopefully someone will no something

Old 03-31-2013, 06:57 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
The CAI has nothing to do with your issue, the exhaust cannot re-route through the egr and go into your hvac.

I say put the stock airbox back on it when you take it in to elimate the run around from the dealer.

You and I both know it has nothing to do with the issue. Putting the stock airbox back on elimates the unneccessary delay.

What about your fluid levels? How are they?

Old 03-31-2013, 07:15 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jwaratah
hey thanks for the help. no i dont do stop and go driving i live on hwy roads. i was just wondering if the aftermarket air intake was allowing smoke to discharge back threw the turbo from the egr at idol, you think i should just run stock air and not chip it huh?
You're asking a couple different questions. As to stock intake, it should be good up to a 350 HP tune. in other words unless you want to drag race or pull sleds the stock intake is probably best for your truck.

First thing is you need to know you are probably not gonna increase the MPG much, if any. You don't say what truck you have and what rear axle ratio but if you are hot footing it much 11 isn't that far from normal.

Now, first rule on the 6.4L forum is always listen to sennix. He thinks you have an exhaust leak. You need to find out before you kill yourself or someone else with exhaust fumes. Take it to the dealer or a shop that KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING WITH THE 6.4l and get the problem fixed or at least identified so you know what to repair. If you have any warranty left (unlikely on an 08) return the truck to stock before you go to a dealer. These are two different problems, you have a leak and you have excessive white smoke. Solve the leak first. The smoke could kill your truck, the leak could kill you.

Once the leak is repaired you need to find out why you have white smoke. It normally means that coolant is getting into the exhaust. So are you losing coolant, how much? EGR is possible problem, or head gasket. Hope for EGR it's a lot easier to fix.

Now, here's an idea. Get on this forum and read read read and learn about your truck. There are some very experienced 6.4L folks on here and most any problem you can or will encounter has already been discussed here and when possible a solution was found. This is a very complex engine and emissions system. There are a lot of things to learn if you are not gonna let it drive you to the poor house.

Once you have found and repaired your exhaust leak and your white smoke issue and done your reading on here you will be able to decide for yourself whether you should get a tuner or not.

Hope this helps, welcome to the forum and good luck.

The following users liked this post: