Bronco II Ford Bronco II

moody ford bronco II

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:23 AM
jolinberg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
moody ford bronco II

I have a1987 Ford Bronco two 2.9L 5speed.. it dies about 3 months after I get it and won't start turns over fine just won't start. Go back to it three days later starts right up drives rough idles bad when driving pull over and it idles out and then runs fine the rest of the time I'm driving. if I turn off it does it again but only once. well three months later after It started back up it I park at school for a few seconds turn truck off. one back out won't start. I open and slam the hood.. starts right up. drives a few days. and dies when I'm headed out to college. won't start at all. start towing it back home and try and start it.. starts for 5-10 seconds idling bad and dies. starts and idles fine so I shook it from towing and drive it three blocks. it dies again. start towing it back... and starts fine again. drive it home then drive it to work and back. wake up next morning and it starts fine. half way yo school it dies and won't start. You can hear the fuel pump wine when it starts but when it doesn't you hear the fuel pump click on and click off as if its trying to prime to start. I was thinking maybe an ecu problem but could also be dirty fuel filter. I'm going to change fuel filter today. if anyone can help that would be great! Thanks.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:45 PM
mattoney
Senior User
I've delt with stuff like this on my 87 Ranger. On the back of the distributor is a "Thin Film Ignition" module. TFI for short. Over time, these things can break down due to heat and vibration and stop reporting to the computer correctly. It usually results in weird symptoms like what you've described. The symptoms can come and go, or it'll just due completely. It's a little bit of a pain in the butt to change, and they can be a little $, but these tend to be the problem.

If I remember right, you have to have a special thin wall socket to get those screws out too...or take an old socket and grind it down into a thin wall. I'm sure alot of the members on here will have suggestions too.

Good luck!

Old 04-01-2013, 01:40 AM
jolinberg
New User
I found a burnt wire leading to the inertia switch the clip was fried replaced. still idles bad when warms up I have to put in neutral or pull over till it fixes its idle. when cold runs fine. also my rear axle is sounding like crap is there a way to rebuild them or do I have to purchase new axle or just rear pumpkin assembly?

Old 04-23-2013, 04:48 PM
rjent
Senior User
Originally Posted by jolinberg
I found a burnt wire leading to the inertia switch the clip was fried replaced. still idles bad when warms up I have to put in neutral or pull over till it fixes its idle. when cold runs fine. also my rear axle is sounding like crap is there a way to rebuild them or do I have to purchase new axle or just rear pumpkin assembly?
Absolutely rebuild it. Nothing magical about the diffs in these things. while your at it, put a detroit locker in it ....