Tow/Haul blinking ONLY when using tow/haul.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:21 PM
Devilmanak
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow/Haul blinking ONLY when using tow/haul.

Sorry, I have searched and searched, I cannot find a thread on my situation.
Just bought an 04 Excursion 6.0 from a used stealership, 122K miles. I test drove it, then drove it 150 miles home, seemed good. Was very impressed with the tranny compared to my 4 speed V10 Excursions I have had. So I go to hook up my trailer, (4500 pounds MAX), all seemed good on a 10 mile run to town. Until i pushed the tow/haul button. (I did push the button on the test drive, but turned it right back off again after I saw that it worked.) The button started blinking, couldn't shut it off. Trans never did anything strange, seemed fine. Same thing on the way home, everything good, pushed the tow/haul button and within a little bit it starts to blink.
I came home, dropped the trailer, went around the block to try to get it to do it again, I could feel the tranny differences as far as tranny breaking even at slow speeds. As soon as I got up to 30 or so the blinking started again. (Stops every time I shut the truck off.)
The fluid is a TICK low, not much. Like it is in the cold range when hot.
Suggestions? I don't have a problem yanking the pan and changing out solenoids and such, but I do have a problem paying a Ford dealership to do it. Especially after paying as much as I just did for this stupid thing.

The common oil pressure guage shutting off at idle happened the same trip, after I let it idle for a half hour. I cleaned the contact on the plug (very oily), then checked the filter after buying a Motorcraft one. There was a MC one in the truck, with what appears to be an aftermarket top cap, it doesn't fit right at all, the cap seems way too tall. SO now I am worried about how much unfiltered oil was running through the truck and for how long. So the point is, whoever owned this thing was a frigging idiot, so it may be something basic with the tranny. Maybe even wrong fluid? What could kick the blinky button ONLY after pressing it, without any tranny driveability issues?
Help is appreciated, my rear is bruised from kicking myself so many times for buying this truck.
Chris

Old 03-26-2013, 05:32 AM
stuart1
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First plan of attack is have the blinking codes read. No pun intended.

Did you get some form of warranty?

Old 03-26-2013, 05:41 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
There are two ways to fix this. Either start replacing everything related to the transmission one part at a time until it is fixed, or get the codes read so that we KNOW where to look for the problem. Your choice.

If you get the codes read the free places can't read Ford transmission codes. Either a good independent shop or a Ford dealer is needed.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Devilmanak
Senior User
Yah, I tried with my reader, didn't work. They want $45 to check them at Ford. Guess it is time to start pouring money into the money pit.
No warranty.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:59 AM
stuart1
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Spring for the $45.00.

Get numbers.

Numbers will point to a certain component.

Don't rush out and buy said component.

It means there is a problem detected in that particular system, loose connection, dirt, water.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Devilmanak
Senior User
Very good advice, thanks! I have to run the 15 miles to Ford to get the correct fuel filter top with wife's rig, come back, change the oil on the 6.0, then drive back down again to get the codes read. Another day shot.......

Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Devilmanak
Senior User
THey cannot get it in for a scan until later this week.
Interesting thing though, it goes to blinky ONLY when coasting/downshifting, in tow/haul mode. Never when on the gas. That sound familiar to anyone? It also did it ONCE when I threw it into park, which was strange I thought.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:54 PM
Joelsal
New User
Tow/haul shennanigans

Hello all,

i am having the same issue. My truck runs great out of tow/haul mode but once it is under load she goes hog wild. Downshifting from 5th to 3rd it revs up to 3k RPMs and throws P0751 (solenoid performance stuck off) light begins to flash and i have to manually reset through my tuner. For SnG's i towed without tow haul around town and no issues whatsoever. Once i put on tow/haul it loses its mind and shifts rough, not hard but def noticeable. Anyone have an idea of where to start? Is the 0751 code a general code or solenoid A actually the culprit? Thanks for your time!

-Joel