Sponsored by: Moser

Factory Topper repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 12:27 PM
TexinCali
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Topper repair

Hey guys I may have a line on a factory topper with no side or rear windows. Anybody know if later shell windows will work or have any luck with having glass cut to fit? Assuming tracks are still there.

Thanks

Old 03-25-2013, 01:49 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by TexinCali
Hey guys I may have a line on a factory topper with no side or rear windows. Anybody know if later shell windows will work or have any luck with having glass cut to fit? Assuming tracks are still there.

Thanks
Do you have any pics?

Old 03-25-2013, 02:51 PM
TexinCali
Senior User
Originally Posted by redroad
Do you have any pics?
Not really only this add

ford topper

owner was told it was a factory ford 73-79 but who knows. I don't see the compass emblem but could have lost that. Didn't they have a "made for Ford" tag inside? I mnight have him look for that. Either way I wouild have to drive up and take a look at it 45min North of me. With no windows I might go $50 if the condition is decent. I really want to go factory on the shell.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:59 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
I wouldn't know how to ID one if it were made for Ford .. What I do know is it will cost a lot more to replace the windows than what you could buy a newer better quality fiberglass topper if that's what your after ..

Old 03-25-2013, 04:51 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The glass is held in by just the gaskets. I believe the front is the same as the rear cab glass, however I have not tried to install it yet.
Ford toppers originally had a circular emblem on the side toward the front.

Search will yield mucho info.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:55 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would take a #3 screwdriver with you. Them bolts get pretty rusty and you can snap them off easily. Penetrating oil and work them back and forth.

Check for cracks in the front corners by lifting up on one side of the cap so it flexes and they will appear if they are there. Also around the latch handle in the rear door.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:45 PM
74 F350 SCS
Elder User
Per the posting, it does appear to be an original Ford topper. I've owned/restored 2 and have looked at dozens. There is a great documented write up on restoring them over at Fordification.net if interested. I can't quite tell for sure but it looks like it might have had a painted lower accent stripe, along the bottom. It's the tan part towards the front of the shell. If so, it was probably a deluxe topper as Ford made a standard and a deluxe. The deluxe had the sliding side windows with bright aluminum trim in the gaskets around the side and rear windows, also an interior light. The deluxe also offered a matching painted accent stripe along the front and bottom. Sometimes there is a small sticker inside that shows the Ford emblem and part number but usually they are long gone. If the windows are missing, I personally would pass on the deal. It looks like the window gaskets are also missing and I can't tell if the rubber gaskets that lined the bottom of the shell that sits on the truck is still there or not. It would be very difficult to find the gaskets and windows and quite frankly, original stuff would cost a lot even if you could find it. I'd keep looking for one that still has the windows and gaskets. I see them for around $50-100 around here. I paid $50 for each of my toppers. I agree with Gringetter about the corners. If you do find one, look at the front corners as well as the front lower center section along the bottom of the front window. Notorious weak spots and many have cracks. You can repair it but something to try and avoid. Good luck!

Old 03-25-2013, 05:53 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 74 F350 SCS
Per the posting, it does appear to be an original Ford topper. I've owned/restored 2 and have looked at dozens. There is a great documented write up on restoring them over at Fordification.net if interested. I can't quite tell for sure but it looks like it might have had a painted lower accent stripe, along the bottom. It's the tan part towards the front of the shell. If so, it was probably a deluxe topper as Ford made a standard and a deluxe. The deluxe had the sliding side windows with bright aluminum trim in the gaskets around the side and rear windows, also an interior light. The deluxe also offered a matching painted accent stripe along the front and bottom. Sometimes there is a small sticker inside that shows the Ford emblem and part number but usually they are long gone. If the windows are missing, I personally would pass on the deal. It looks like the window gaskets are also missing and I can't tell if the rubber gaskets that lined the bottom of the shell that sits on the truck is still there or not. It would be very difficult to find the gaskets and windows and quite frankly, original stuff would cost a lot even if you could find it. I'd keep looking for one that still has the windows and gaskets. I see them for around $50-100 around here. I paid $50 for each of my toppers. I agree with Gringetter about the corners. If you do find one, look at the front corners as well as the front lower center section along the bottom of the front window. Notorious weak spots and many have cracks. You can repair it but something to try and avoid. Good luck!
I guess my blood doesn't run that blue Did you get your springs ? Denver spring will order anything you need .. There a top notch outfit

Old 03-25-2013, 06:13 PM
TexinCali
Senior User
Thanks guys, kinda what I was thinking. I have been looking for about a year and that is the first one I have seen within a reasonable distance. I did see one at a local pick and pull $200!

Think I will keep looking, not something I have to have just want eventually.

Thanks again fot the thoughts.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:50 PM
JackedUp78
New User
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
I would take a #3 screwdriver with you. Them bolts get pretty rusty and you can snap them off easily. Penetrating oil and work them back and forth.

Check for cracks in the front corners by lifting up on one side of the cap so it flexes and they will appear if they are there. Also around the latch handle in the rear door.
Hey you emailed me about my topper, Im not sure if the email went through. I am new to the forum, but if you did not get the email my number is 815 531 4196