Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fixed some leaks in vally, may have created another one

Old 03-24-2013, 11:22 PM
LSO1123
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Fixed some leaks in vally, may have created another one

I spent this weekend fixing some leaks in the engine valley but I think I may have created another one. I did the fuel bowl rebuild and it definitely needed it. The sleeves in the fuel rails were completely shot as well as the ones in the FPR and the fuel inlet line. I also suspected that my IPR may have been leaking so I removed it, cleaned it up, and installed the new IPR to HPOP o ring that came in the combo kit from dieselorings. When I put the IPR back in, I couldn't get my torque wrench on it so I just tightened it up good, maybe too good? After getting everything back together made sure the valley was dry and started it up. I let it idle for about an hour while watching it and checking for leaks. So far so good, no leaks. Then I took it for a drive to see how it does. I got out on the interstate so I could do a WOT run and watch the IPR and ICP numbers on the scangauge. At WOT, roughly 2800 RMP and 90 MPH, IPR stayed right at 41% and ICP hovered right at 2800 psi. Then the IC boot on the passenger side of the turbo, apparently I neglected to tighten it back down good, blew off which put an end to the WOT test. I limped it back home and checked again for leaks. In the front of the engine valley, right under the IPR there was a small puddle, maybe about the amount it would take to fill up a pop bottle lid. The rest of the valley is still dry. All fuel line connections on the bowl are dry, the fuel rails and connections to the heads are dry. The HP connections on the HPOP are dry, the rear plug above the IPR is dry, the "non serviceable" plug looks dry although I can't see the bottom of it. The leak looks to be coming from directly under the IPR/HPOP. Apparently since it didn't leak while it was idling for an hour and only started to leak when I drove it, it must only be leaking when the pressure increases. If I got the IPR too tight could it have crushed or pinched that new o ring and caused it to leak when the pressure increases?

On the bright side, while I had everything apart, I took that foil crap off of the driver side IC pipe and cleaned it up good. Looks alot better and sounded better too. I also did the CCV mod and vented it out under the truck. That should keep everything from getting covered in oil residue like it was before I cleaned everything up.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:58 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now you might have damaged the oring by over tighting it. But before freaking out I would clean up the valley real good and check it again. Because it could have just been oil from when you pulled the IPR that was sitting up under the hpop. Better yet fold up some clean paper towles and leave them laying under the hpop and see if you are getting a drip that way.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:42 AM
LSO1123
Posting Guru
Funny you should mention the possibility of it being residual oil. I was just setting here thinking/hoping that might be the case. There was a good bit of oil that came out of the HPOP when I took the IPR out so it's possible that some of it was setting under the HPOP and drained from under it when I was driving it. I'll clean it up and stuff some paper towels under the hpop and IPR before I drive it again.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:31 AM
hammer65
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also look on the drivers side, to the right of the HPOP, straight down for a plug in the head. It has a 3/8" hex drive hole in it. There is an Oring there that can leak.
I looked forever for my leak before I found it there.
Under the plug is an oil check valve. Has engine oil pressure on it when running.
I cleaned it real well, and watched it leak slowly.
If that is it, I have an oring I can mail you of I can find it.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:54 AM
LSO1123
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hammer65
Also look on the drivers side, to the right of the HPOP, straight down for a plug in the head. It has a 3/8" hex drive hole in it. There is an Oring there that can leak.
I looked forever for my leak before I found it there.
Under the plug is an oil check valve. Has engine oil pressure on it when running.
I cleaned it real well, and watched it leak slowly.
If that is it, I have an oring I can mail you of I can find it.
Thanks hammer, I didn't know about that one. I'll check it today.