6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Anyone switched from 6.0 PSD to 6.2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 04KingRanch
So is it a consensus that everyone here would go to the 6.2 over diesel if they were going new? The ONLY thing that I am worried about is the lack of torque. What kind of numbers does the 6.2 make for torque? I have also read some guys using tuners to free up some torque. Is this common?

I am sure that when it comes time I will go with the 6.2 and not the 6.7, I am just trying to do as much research as possible and use my resources .

Adam

What does that trailer weigh you tow? How far do you tow? How often? Towing/mpg's is the only area where the diesel will shine over the gas truck. But as we know, it comes at a cost. Don't get caught up in having more HP/Torque if you don't need it. The 6.2 has plenty IMO 385HP/405TQ

Old 03-26-2013, 11:59 AM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sammy77
What does that trailer weigh you tow? How far do you tow? How often? Towing/mpg's is the only area where the diesel will shine over the gas truck. But as we know, it comes at a cost. Don't get caught up in having more HP/Torque if you don't need it. The 6.2 has plenty IMO 385HP/405TQ
Very we'll said Sam!Your actually swaying me over to the gas side!Haha

Old 03-26-2013, 12:35 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by nico963
Very we'll said Sam!Your actually swaying me over to the gas side!Haha

I think it just makes more sense these days Nico. Back when I first bought my 6.0 all I did was tow the toys every weekend with it. Fast forward to today, wife, two lil ones and a mortgage, the toys aren't there anymore.
(ok you know I'm lying)

Don't get me wrong, I love driving/towing with my truck. It's been the best truck I've owned thus far. I know you get the same feeling with yours. Just use your head when the time comes to replace it. If we don't need a diesel, no reason to buy it. Don't convince yourself you need it either. Remember the only downfall of the gasser is the MPG's... Especially the way you drive!

Old 03-26-2013, 06:00 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
I think it just makes more sense these days Nico. Back when I first bought my 6.0 all I did was tow the toys every weekend with it. Fast forward to today, wife, two lil ones and a mortgage, the toys aren't there anymore.
(ok you know I'm lying)

Don't get me wrong, I love driving/towing with my truck. It's been the best truck I've owned thus far. I know you get the same feeling with yours. Just use your head when the time comes to replace it. If we don't need a diesel, no reason to buy it. Don't convince yourself you need it either. Remember the only downfall of the gasser is the MPG's... Especially the way you drive!
I agree with you 100%!!!I am getting married in August and soon after buying a house.I know what your talking about,I need all the money I can get!My truck like yours,Has been the best truck I've owned.At this point in my life one major truck repair and I'll be hurting though.I know what I want,But I also know what I SHOULD do.What scares me the most about buying a 6.7 is not it breaking down,But if it does break,The stories I've been hearing about Ford denying warranty on everything lately.I was just watching a YouTube video of a guy with a 6.2 and he was pulling a 8000 lb TT and the truck was doing a great job.I was impressed!He wasn't getting great MPG's but that kinda goes hand in hand with a gasser.That is my only worrie right now but I do have a small car to drive also.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:20 PM
04KingRanch
Junior User
My average tow back and forth is 80-100 miles and the trailer with cattle is roughly 14-16k. I will make this haul 10-12 times a year plus hauling around the farm and other trailers that won't be nearly as much weight. I am really swaying towards the gas due to the lack of everyday use and the fact that our farm already has a 7.3 PSD and a 6.7 Cummins.

Adam

Old 03-26-2013, 07:22 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by nico963
I agree with you 100%!!!I am getting married in August and soon after buying a house.I know what your talking about,I need all the money I can get!My truck like yours,Has been the best truck I've owned.At this point in my life one major truck repair and I'll be hurting though.I know what I want,But I also know what I SHOULD do.What scares me the most about buying a 6.7 is not it breaking down,But if it does break,The stories I've been hearing about Ford denying warranty on everything lately.I was just watching a YouTube video of a guy with a 6.2 and he was pulling a 8000 lb TT and the truck was doing a great job.I was impressed!He wasn't getting great MPG's but that kinda goes hand in hand with a gasser.That is my only worrie right now but I do have a small car to drive also.

Congratulations Buddy.

If you ever decide to go with a 6.7, buy it from Willowbrook, keep your fuel/maintenance receipts for a while and keep draining your DCFM. They will cover you. Just in case you ever have a major problem, which you won't. Stop worrying. There are thousands of them out there, most guys don't come on here unless there's a problem. We are all here to learn

Old 03-26-2013, 08:08 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
My average tow back and forth is 80-100 miles and the trailer with cattle is roughly 14-16k. I will make this haul 10-12 times a year plus hauling around the farm and other trailers that won't be nearly as much weight. I am really swaying towards the gas due to the lack of everyday use and the fact that our farm already has a 7.3 PSD and a 6.7 Cummins.

Adam
Are you able to use the Cummins for these tows at all? I'm not sure, can the 6.2 tow 16k lbs...? I think you are pushing it's max.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:16 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Congratulations Buddy.

If you ever decide to go with a 6.7, buy it from Willowbrook, keep your fuel/maintenance receipts for a while and keep draining your DCFM. They will cover you. Just in case you ever have a major problem, which you won't. Stop worrying. There are thousands of them out there, most guys don't come on here unless there's a problem. We are all here to learn
Thank you!

Old 03-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Snowman 8
Elder User
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Are you able to use the Cummins for these tows at all? I'm not sure, can the 6.2 tow 16k lbs...? I think you are pushing it's max.
If the truck is set up right the 6.2 will pull anything you want. Who wants to listen to one of those noisy Cummings all day long!

Old 03-26-2013, 09:28 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
It's rated to pull 15600 with 4.30 gears DRW 2X4 SC, that's what I plan on pulling with ours when we get it .

Denny

Old 03-27-2013, 06:26 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rvpuller
It's rated to pull 15600 with 4.30 gears DRW 2X4 SC, that's what I plan on pulling with ours when we get it .

Denny

That's a lot of trailer...

Old 03-27-2013, 08:18 AM
rvpuller
That's a lot of trailer...
It's what we live in most of the year Our present 2V V10 has done a fine job for the last 10 years with this trailer and the trailer that weighed just as much before this one. We are planning on having just as much fun with our new truck we just hope it has as many trouble free years and miles as the one we have now.

Denny

Old 03-27-2013, 08:46 AM
04KingRanch
Junior User
We use the Cummins daily, it would definitely be used as well. We use the other two full-time and mine is more of an extra, so I don't think that the gas will be a problem. I am going to look into prices. What do you think that a 6.2 crew cab would run? I see prices listed on the internet for used ones at 30-35k, is that standard? Thank you for all of the help that everyone has provided so far.

Adam

Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 AM
rvpuller
We use the Cummins daily, it would definitely be used as well. We use the other two full-time and mine is more of an extra, so I don't think that the gas will be a problem. I am going to look into prices. What do you think that a 6.2 crew cab would run? I see prices listed on the internet for used ones at 30-35k, is that standard? Thank you for all of the help that everyone has provided so far.

Adam
Depends on how fancy you want it

Denny

Old 03-27-2013, 09:27 AM
04KingRanch
Junior User
Originally Posted by rvpuller
Depends on how fancy you want it

Denny
I'm not looking for bare bones...Cloth seats, cruise, pw, pl, etc. All of the standard needs/wants. I am not looking for the hillbilly version with no options, if I am buying a newer truck, I don't want to lose all of the options that I have in my king ranch now.

Adam

Quick Reply: Anyone switched from 6.0 PSD to 6.2?