2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 F150 SCrew 5.4L 3v Blown Motor / Warrenty company replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 02:15 PM
genmischief
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 F150 SCrew 5.4L 3v Blown Motor / Warrenty company replacement.

So, Bought a used 2004 from a dealer, looked good, ran good, tested good.

But High Miles, so I bought the dealers preferred warranty from a 3rd party. Glad I did. Head started to fail (no idea where) and we didn’t look to hard because there was chunky metallic chucks in the oil pan.

The warranty company sent out a adjuster, he agreed it was toast, and they are stiucking in a tested used engine from a company they regularly do business with. AND the used motor has a 12mnth.12K mile parallel warranty. Since I only have the value of the vehicle to work within buy the terms of the agreement, this is good since with the Ford dealers labor and time I'm WELL into that money. LOL

So, I have all my maintenance records, I never miss the periods or toss the documents. Nor will I ever.

I am happy with the outcome. I will get the vehicle back in a week or two when the new motor is installed, serviced, and tested. I have an old Bronco that will, frankly, never die. So I'm banging around in that so I didn’t need to use the rental car option. Sure I would have liked to see them use a ford longblock, but that is neither here nor there. I have 1800 in the warrenty and am EASILY into over twice that in return (with almost three years left, Transmission anyone? LOL!!!)

Who has gone through with this process before, what sort of thoughts and opinions did you form and what were your overall impressions. I don't feel I have come out ahead, but I do think that the deal is fair per the terms of our agreement on both sides. Who wants to share?

-Jim

Old 04-03-2013, 06:35 PM
genmischief
Junior User
Dont everyone all chime in at once now...

Old 04-03-2013, 06:57 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I haven't had your problem, but I do know it's regular practice to replace engines (long block or short) with remanned units.

Even if your warrantee was through Ford, you would have gotten a remanned engine. At least that's what everyone gets when they post about this problem on the 'net.

Stewart

Old 04-04-2013, 07:32 AM
genmischief
Junior User
Im nervous as hell, so far it has been a perfect experience on the service side.

The first used engine had a fault that Ford found and refused, so the company sent another, and this one has less that HALF the miles on it my original engine did! about 40K.

They dealer has been forth coming with answers, worked hard on my behalf, and when I passed on a rental car from the warranty company (I have my old Bronco to drive) becuase I didnt want to dip into the value of the warranty agreement unless it was for repairs the Ford shop got a hold of the engine seller and had THEM get me a rental. They insisted in fact!

It has been a couple of weeks now, but like I said, I have other modes of transportation at my disposal and frankly I understand that sometimes quality work takes time to do. Stuff breaks, no install or repair ever goes quite the way we hope and more work has to happen, I understand that.

It is my sincere hope that if any of you have to go though with this process, its as pleasant as mine! lol I keep waiting for the trap door to pop...

Old 04-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Sounds like they are treating you right.

Stewart

Old 04-04-2013, 01:16 PM
genmischief
Junior User
That is EXACTLY what scares me.

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Sounds like they are treating you right.

Stewart

Old 04-05-2013, 08:05 AM
browntown3
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
i bought my 04 lariat supercrew from a small mom and pop local dealer, it had a new engine in it with a one year warranty on it. He said the original engine dropped a valve and he just replaced it instead of rebuilding the original engine. The truck was in such good shape and the price was fantastic so i test drove the crap out of it and bought it...had it about 5 months i guess and the camshaft cam apart goign down the road, punched a big hole in the side of the valve cover...I was completely in shock. Had the ford dealer diagnose it, they were asking $7000 plus tax for a new engine. I had called the dealer i bought mine off of and he got in touch with the company that did the engine swap. They came and picked it up from the ford dealer and took it to there shop where they had it for over a month..........but they did fix it under warranty and the only thing i had to pay for was the tow bill to the Ford dealer. I was scared to death b/c it was a mom and pop dealer and a mom and pop engine builder but they honored their warranty and for that i am greatful. I did however decide to sell the truck b/c i just didnt have confidence in its reliability anymore. One of the best driving/riding truck i have owned though. Hope everything works out good for you.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:56 PM
genmischief
Junior User
So, got the truck back yesterday and did some non warrenty covered maintinance. New serpentine and pullys... runs great.

Very happy, however it was a knockdown drag out over the old motor! There was no core charge and the warrenty company who bought the replacement didnt want my old engine, so I took it. You would have thought I asked to screw their sisters.

In the end, they weren't all that thrilled, but I got the damaged motor. I had promised it too a friend who I owed some work too. Hes an amateur engine guy who wanted a dead one he could tear apart and look at. Mine was perfect.

All in all, pretty happy.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:25 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
What was the problem? The dealership wanted to keep the boat anchor?

Stewart

Old 04-07-2013, 03:42 AM
ojai150
More Turbo
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I'd sure like to know the truth about why they wanted it

Old 04-08-2013, 04:50 AM
60DRB
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Somebody in the shop had plans for it, I'm sure!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 AM
genmischief
Junior User
Well, here is an update. The pullys werent part of the warranty coverage, so they put the old ones back on. And some were starting to squeak. They flat screamed when I picked the truck up, so on the way home we got some new ones and swapped it out. Now all that's left is the tension pulley which is just starting to chirp. I suspect something came loose and contaminated the pulley's and serpentine belt with coolant. Meh.

There is a very subtle new rattle under the drivers side (I think) that I can only hear when I drive a bumpy road. Almost an exhaust clang sound?

Before I crawl under that and start shaking parts tonight, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Really annoyed, but before I screw with them fixing it, I want to see what I can see FIRST.