Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you pick a Bronco?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 06:10 AM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What a beauty. I can pick me up one for $450 if mine sells.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:29 AM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm....what made me get a Bronco??? I guess of all the vehicles I've had over the years, the 78-79 Broncos have been my favorite. I have always lifted and and hot rodded most of my trucks and mostly had Fords. I have had some Chevy's, and played with them too, but have always wandered home with my tail between my legs.....and got another Ford. I even had a ...gulp.....1976 Dodge W300 4x4 Sno Commander!! Factory lockers front and rear, 440, 4 spd, and 44's. Sold it and got a 79 Ford F-150 4x4!!!
I guess I have calmed down a bit over the years, but still like my Fords. I got a really great deal on the 1993 Bronco I have now, ($600)!!! Got it running, still working on it, saving up for interior stuff (seat covers, carpet). Not going to hot rod this one, but maybe some headers and exhaust down the road a little.
After all that, why did I get another Bronco????? I like em!!!

Old 04-07-2013, 06:41 AM
thin blue line
Freshman User
well my bronco has been in the family since 12/94, when my grand dad bought it as a christmas present for himself. he only drove it to go fishing or to his property in farmville va. the bronco was then given to my dad when grand dad passed away. my dad drove it as a daily driver to the ship yard for years. until my brother needed a vehicle, after wrecking his mustang. my brother drove it for awhile, he never took care of it. just drove the **** out of it. he then parked it cause he bought a new family van. after a few years of sitting i bought it from him and never looked back. i love this truck.it was all stock when i got it, i have lifted it geared it and wheeled it. i have had a ton of 4x4's blazers,pickup, and imports. the bronco kills them all. mine still has the factory paint and motor with 215000, i just had the tranny rebuild 4/13. i have had to do some repairs but wouldn't change a thing. i have had a blast with the bronco, money is getting tight for everyone. it maybe up for sale soon. i would buy another when money gets right again, they are unbeatable.

Last edited by thin blue line; 04-07-2013 at 06:43 AM. Reason: edit
Old 06-06-2013, 01:07 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my latest Bronco because I love 'em and have since I got my first one.
I started with a 78 with a 400, C6, 205, Blue and White with 31x10.50x15 BGF AT's. I paid $1450 for it then spent $1400 at my mechanic getting everything fixed so I could drive it every day for the next 3 years.
I stupidly sold that to buy an 86 Jeep CJ-7 since the straight 6 and 5 speed combo was going to be better gas mileage as I drove back and forth to college. LOL
A few more vehicle swaps later and I was back into a 79 Bronco, this time a 351, C6, 203, Tan and Brown with 33x12.5x15 BFG MT's. I drove that for 3 more years including a move 1300 miles across the country pulling a large enclosed trailer.
The next Bronco was a huge disappointment. I say this because it was my dream and it turned into a nightmare very quickly. It was a 74 Bronco half cab 302, C4, Dana 20, in Red with a White top. It came from a friend (free) and my brother started the disassembly to figure out what it needed to be restored. The problem was it needed EVERYTHING! The body was rusted away, the frame was swiss cheese. My friend had replaced about a third of the body with wood panels he made himself. After finding someone who could use the few good parts from that Bronco I ended up with my current Bronco.
Current Bronco:
1978 Bronco 460, 435 4speed, BW1356, Dana 44 HD front axle, Dana 60 rear axle. Blue and White with 40x17x16.5's waiting to go on it. I hope to get it done in time to have a family trip or two to the beach this summer, but it will be around for a long time so no hurry on getting it done.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Where are the pics bigzirb???

Old 06-07-2013, 10:15 AM
bigzirb
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Encho
Where are the pics bigzirb???
Most of the pic were on the old laptop that my wife spilled a full cup of coffee on last weekend. Waiting to see if the Geek Squad can make some magic and save any of the data that was on it. I have several posts to add pictures to if they can save any of them.
The latest Bronco buildup can be found here, including pictures.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...big-truck.html

Old 06-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Retrieving that info is as easy as opening the laptop case and placing the Hard Drive in another laptop, just saying...

Old 06-07-2013, 01:28 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Mine's sort of a round-a-bout story.

The red '81 that is in my sig was given to me by my wife's father (just gf at the time) after we were in a really bad accident and the car was totaled while we were out visiting. He'd had the Bronco sitting on his ranch after someone abandoned it there and it'd been sitting 4 - 5 years. I didn't want it but needed a vehicle. Never owned a Ford, was more into import sports cars (had a Toyota Supra), and even worse was that it had a "six cylinder" in it. I figured I'd drive it for a few and then sell it. The Bronco was awkwardly big compared to what I was used to.

I was able to get it running and drove it 700 miles home from California to Idaho. Those few days under the hood and that drive home were about all it took. I loved it after that. The more I drove it, the more I fixed it up, the more I learned about the 300 six, the greater it was. A few off-road excursions and I knew there was no point in ever driving anything else. It's taken me to places and adventures. Camping, fishing, exploring, you name it. What sports car can do that? All they can do is go fast. Sure, the thrill is fun, but it's so temporary.

Everyone else in my family loves it (saying a lot since my Dad's a Chevy guy), and my brother wanted one, so he got one too. Then, while looking around a year or two ago, we found a great deal on another one, so we sold my wife's car and got her an '84. She drives it every day now.

The styling, the power, the room, the comfort, the capabilities, everything. There's just too much to list.

Funny thinking back to how I didn't want it, and how now I'll never get rid of it.

My red '81, my wife's tan/white '84, and my brother's blue/gray '86.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:07 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Man!, your truck and your brother's need some love (paintjob) urgently Abandoned... Now I get your nick! .

Old 06-07-2013, 03:11 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Heh, mine especially. He crunched his hood last winter and that's just a replacement. Needs the rust sanded off and painted. The rest is still good.

The '84 is almost show quality. Can't believe we got it for $600.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:12 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
That's a great story man.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
I remember that one, your wife must be a happy lady (despite of being stuck with you ). Nice story on the Bronco growing on you. With me it was love at first sight, and it was also a brand new truck, so you can imagine...

Old 06-07-2013, 06:17 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
In my case, I had wanted an early 80s bronco but after seeing the 79 my brother had for a short while, I fell inlove. Then I caught mine on CL and event to see it. As we rounded the corner my mom said the look on my face pretty much said that the bronco was coming home with us.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:46 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Dylan's eyes lost their virginity that day.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I got mine because I stumbled across it. I always wanted a bronco since before I could drive, but they were always rotten out. Then I found this one from Colorado that had need seen a NE winter and it was 5 miles from my house. O and the fact that it was STICK

Quick Reply: Why did you pick a Bronco?