1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks
View Poll Results: Where Should The Turn Signals Be Placed?
On the cowl, as pictured
37.93%
On the top of the fenders as seen on many trucks this vintage
20.69%
Raised slightly off the front bumper
41.38%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Where Do I Put the Turn Signals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:30 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Where Do I Put the Turn Signals?

When I got this '49 F4, it had the turn signals on the cowl as pictured. I've only seen one other truck with the turn signals in this location and I have seen pictures of another. All three have been Monkey Face trucks.
I kinda like them on the cowl as different.
My truck also has holes on the fender tops where I guess some kind of lights were placed at one time.
So it is time to decide which holes to fill and which holes will hold the turn signals.
My third option is to weld up all four holes and place the signals on the bumper.
Of course, the truck will have rear turn signals and stop lights.
The truck is being built as a driver.
What do you guys think?

Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2013, 09:52 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
I like them on the cowl, personally. I think they're safer and less prone to damage than on the fender tops. Not in the way when working under the hood, either. Less wire to run and more convenient, too. A 4th option would be to convert the park lamps to dual filament bulbs for a park/turn function, or just use the single filament for turn signal and ax the park light function. Not have an auxiliary lamp altogether. Decisions, decisions.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Well, I voted for the bumper. When I saw the picture with them on the cowl, I didn't really like it. But as I look at it more, I'm not sure. It's kind of growing on me to have them on the cowl, it is unique.
I'm not fond of the lights on the bumper.

Very nice looking truck, by the way. What are your plans for it?

Old 03-22-2013, 09:55 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They will be highly visible on the cowl and a little less likely to get hit. Personally, I never liked them on top of the fenders. The bumper would be good too and easy to see from the front and from both sides, but may not last as long there.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
I like them on the cowl, personally. I think they're safer and less prone to damage than on the fender tops. Not in the way when working under the hood, either. Less wire to run and more convenient, too. A 4th option would be to convert the park lamps to dual filament bulbs for a park/turn function, or just use the single filament for turn signal and ax the park light function. Not have an auxiliary lamp altogether. Decisions, decisions.
Shoot, I kind of like the park lamp idea. That location would detract less from the lines of the truck like the other locations....

Old 03-22-2013, 10:04 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrier

Very nice looking truck, by the way. What are your plans for it?
The truck is currently getting an engine transplant that includes a .70 ratio OD transmission and 4.10 gear final drive. It will run 33 inch tires front and rear. My plan is to have a stock appearing driver capable of keeping up with traffic.
Most all suspension, brake work, etc has been completed.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:07 PM
wavetrain75
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put new sockets in the running lights in the grille, no holes, no change to outward appearance and work great.

The other option is the new headlights that include turn signals in the bottom portion of the headlight. If those had existed at the time it's probably what I would have done.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:09 PM
ChuckRob
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been thinking about the led's that are in the headlights. Only seen the bulbs on ebay never on a truck. A little darkside but I think their cool.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:17 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
I vote cowl. And bumper. Buggers eyes should be drawn to 'em. There should be no doubt that you intend to turn.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:59 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I voted for the bumper for practical and not aesthetic reasons. The reason being, you know when you have your signal on, but they're more visible to others on all sides when they're out in front. For example... you're at a 4-way stop and another vehicle is stopped on your right. You're turning left (will be in front of them after the turn). They can't see your left turn signal on the cowl and probably not on the fender.

Just my opinion...

Old 03-23-2013, 02:14 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Definitely the cowl. Well maybe the bumper. No, I think the cowl. But the bumper is okay also. Seriously I could live with either and probably prefer the cowl ever so slightly over the bumper.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:47 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
My vote would be in the stock parking light location with LED bulbs.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:06 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where they have the most visibility to OTHER drivers and don't produce a glare to the vehicle driver. - Unless your mind is like mine the signal is for the other driver

Old 03-23-2013, 07:34 AM
needhelp49
Elder User
i vote parking lamps

Old 03-23-2013, 08:13 AM
teardropty
Posting Guru
I know its not a 49, but I moved my turn signals from the fender mount down to the bumper on my 54. Here is why - both lights can be seen when looking at the front. The reason that is important is because in limited visibility situation on coming drivers have a point of reference to line up on. If they are mounted on the cowl for example, if someone is at a sharp angle they may only see one of the cowl lights but not know if its the right or left side of the vehicle. Think of it like you are in a fog and see only one light. With both lights visible on the bumper your mind gets a better picture. I know most people don't drive their classics in adverse weather or at night but safety and cool looks are important. The same lighting effect happens on trailers from the rear. When the lights are mounted directly on the rear you have a reference point. When they are mounted further in, like on most boat trailers, it's harder to see both sides and know which light you see.

Also, its easy to remove the lights from the bumper if you don't like them, with the cowl, you would have to patch in a hole and fix it. Whatever you do, enjoy your truck.

Quick Reply: Where Do I Put the Turn Signals?