6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Auxillary Diesel Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 02:25 AM
dhatfield6
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auxillary Diesel Fuel Tank

The 380 XLR has been delivered, the new 2013 F-450 King Ranch will be shipped next month and I know I need an aulillary tank.

Any specific likes or dislikes out there you would recomend? Is it worth the cost to have a transfer pump?

Old 03-20-2013, 06:02 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a transfer flow 50gal tank in the bed with the trax-II fuel pumping system. Check it out. I love it.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:46 AM
PhuzzNutz
Freshman User
Check out this system.

It's what I'm going to get what I get my truck and I have been looking around for a while now.

They are available from 40 up to 87 gallons and have an automatic fill system available if you want it also.

The Fuel Box | Auxiliary Fuel Tanks | Zylstra Automotive

Old 03-20-2013, 05:49 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's the same idea behind my transfer flow tank. Fills the main tank as I drive, really nice to have. When towing I can drive over 700 miles without fueling!

http://www.transferflow.com/fuel-tanks/in-bed

Old 03-21-2013, 05:54 AM
jetpilot2
Tuned
Instead of an Aux tank (needed the bed for my retractable cover), I opted for the 65 gal. Titan tank to replace the OEM and I LOVE it!!! I can drive just about 700 miles pulling 19K+ or over 1000 miles w/o.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:30 AM
U235Fishin'
Senior User
Looking at a Titan 50 Gallon Tank

The 26 gallon stock tank (about 22-23 gallon usable) just does not cut it towing, so a Titan 50 gallon tank is high on my list. I passed a sign last fall going into the northern reaches of the Gila National Forest in Southwestern New Mexico .... "No Gas Food Or Lodging next 121 Miles" and this was 50 miles AFTER the last gas station. Now it would be my luck that I would get in 100-110 miles and the road would be blocked and I would have to come back out!!!

Old 03-21-2013, 09:39 AM
majkthreads
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
I have a transfer flow 50gal tank in the bed with the trax-II fuel pumping system. Check it out. I love it.

Getting this installed in two weeks. Can't wait.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:33 PM
n3hcp
Senior User
I just had a Transfer Flow 50 gallon installed in the new truck. I had one in the old 2006 and wouldn't be without one. We pull a 35' 5th wheel camper and not having to stop for fuel with the trailer on makes it worth the investment just for that.

I did have a problem with the new control unit. Transfer Flow sent a new one second day air. Super customer service!!

Old 03-21-2013, 09:14 PM
jim48
Elder User
I have a chassis cab and it has 40 gallon tank. I added RDS 60 gallon, Airtex pump, AutoMeter fuel gauge on dash, Wix fuel filter/water separator and 12 volt fuel shutoff. It's hooked to upfitter #3 and it works great. 1,000 mile fuel range when towing the 34' 5th wheel, but I refuel twice on my 1,800 mile trip as they are the two cheapest fuel stops on the trip. This is the second truck I've had this arrangement on, and won't be the last. That is as long as I'm pulling a 5th wheel from Kansas to California.

Good luck with your choice!!!

Jim

Old 04-07-2013, 07:59 PM
desertnomad
Senior User
Originally Posted by ruschejj
That's the same idea behind my transfer flow tank. Fills the main tank as I drive, really nice to have. When towing I can drive over 700 miles without fueling!

In-Bed Fuel Tanks - Transfer Flow, Inc. - Aftermarket Fuel Tank Systems
I been thinking of getting one of these, thank you very much for the link. Found a local authorized transferflow installer nearby. Where exactly did they mount the LCD display in your truck? I have my eye set on the 50 Gallon Cross Bed Fuel Tank - Trax System.

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2013, 09:02 PM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jim48
I have a chassis cab and it has 40 gallon tank. I added RDS 60 gallon, Airtex pump, AutoMeter fuel gauge on dash, Wix fuel filter/water separator and 12 volt fuel shutoff. It's hooked to upfitter #3 and it works great. 1,000 mile fuel range when towing the 34' 5th wheel, but I refuel twice on my 1,800 mile trip as they are the two cheapest fuel stops on the trip. This is the second truck I've had this arrangement on, and won't be the last. That is as long as I'm pulling a 5th wheel from Kansas to California.

Good luck with your choice!!!

Jim
Hey Jim,

Where did you ,mount the tank?

Old 04-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Tboogie9599
New User
New to the forum and looking to extend my fuel range also because I haul a 5th.

Due to having a short bed and a roll bak bed cover I'm short on space. The only tank I can use is a rectangular box small enough to fit under the bed cover near the cab. Problem is I can't find a transfer tank that will fit, only auxiliary tanks. Can I use an auxiliary tank to pump from instead of an transfer tank? I don't want to go to the trouble and expense of piping the auxiliary tank to the on board fuel system. I think it would work with a DC pump but I'm no mechanic and don't want to waste my time and more importantly my money!

Thanks for any help and advice.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:02 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tboogie9599

Due to having a short bed and a roll bak bed cover I'm short on space. The only tank I can use is a rectangular box small enough to fit under the bed cover near the cab. Problem is I can't find a transfer tank that will fit, only auxiliary tanks. Can I use an auxiliary tank to pump from instead of an transfer tank? I don't want to go to the trouble and expense of piping the auxiliary tank to the on board fuel system. I think it would work with a DC pump but I'm no mechanic and don't want to waste my time and more importantly my money!

Congrats on the truck and welcome aboard.
I carry three 5 gallon diesel fuel jugs when I travel with my 5er. Although I have the 38 gallon tank with the dually, I still like to have a little leeway when it comes to fueling up. This little $20 transfer pump works great and is powered by two D-cell batteries. You can get them at Home Depot and other fine hardware stores like Ace. Just a thought.

Buy Trademark Tools Battery Operated Liquid Transfer Siphon Pump & More | drugstore.com

Old 04-18-2013, 03:04 PM
etcouple
Freshman User
Transfer Tank

I have a 2011 F-250 SD short bed too, I pull a 36' Carriage 5th wheel, I have a Pullrite Superglide hitch, installed in my bed. I wanted a regular transfer tank with tool box but would not fit, I removed my tool box and installed a 37 gal fuel tank, I opted for making it a gravity flow. I had it painted to match truck, It looks great and will install this weekend.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:09 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,053 Likes on 2,212 Posts
Originally Posted by Tboogie9599

Welcome to FTE. Have you looked at the 37 gallon Transfer Flow tank? It fits under most bed covers and is pretty slick.
Transfer Flow 37 gallon rank

Quick Reply: Auxillary Diesel Fuel Tank