Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auxillary Diesel Fuel Tank

Old 09-30-2013, 08:04 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by jim48 View Post
Great, maybe they will have one you like. I use a RDS fuel sender in mine and it's hooked to an Autometer fuel gauge on my dash. Airtex pump, Wix 33123, and 12 V. fuel valve all feeds to rear stock tank. Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way...........

Jim
thanks.. I am going to do gravity feed. that extra filter tho.. seems a smart thing..

Old 09-30-2013, 08:21 PM
jim48
Elder User
jim48 has a good reputation on FTE.jim48 has a good reputation on FTE.jim48 has a good reputation on FTE.
I used RDS gravity feed fitting on last truck, it worked perfectly. I switched to Airtex pump on this one, just wanted to feed faster. And, besides I just wanted to hook this one up differently. The Wix 33123 has a petcock in the bottom for draining, real handy to check for contamination.

Jim

Old 09-30-2013, 08:26 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
I used RDS gravity feed fitting on last truck, it worked perfectly. I switched to Airtex pump on this one, just wanted to feed faster. And, besides I just wanted to hook this one up differently. The Wix 33123 has a petcock in the bottom for draining, real handy to check for contamination.

Jim
I assume you had from the tank

shutoff valve
thru bed
filter in
filter out
the RDS inline kit.

where did you mount the filter base?

Old 09-30-2013, 08:53 PM
jim48
Elder User
jim48 has a good reputation on FTE.jim48 has a good reputation on FTE.jim48 has a good reputation on FTE.
I used heavy aluminum to make brackets for all the components and mounted all to the outside of the left frame rail, drivers side. The fuel comes out the top of the aux tank, thru the bed, in to the 12 volt valve, then the Airtex pump and finally thru the Wix filter/separator and into the aft tank. The electrics are hooked to upfitter swithch #3. The Autometer fuel gauge sits in left corner of dash.

Jim

Old 09-30-2013, 09:18 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
I used heavy aluminum to make brackets for all the components and mounted all to the outside of the left frame rail, drivers side. The fuel comes out the top of the aux tank, thru the bed, in to the 12 volt valve, then the Airtex pump and finally thru the Wix filter/separator and into the aft tank. The electrics are hooked to upfitter swithch #3. The Autometer fuel gauge sits in left corner of the dash
Jim
Thx. I was more asking about the gravity feed setup.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:31 PM
jim48
Elder User
Sorry about that, that was really simple. Fuel out the bottom of tank all the way back to the gravity feed valve at the stock tank. That was all there was to it.

Jim

Old 05-07-2015, 12:25 PM
bkuuz1
Elder User
bkuuz1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bkuuz1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wondering if anyone has set up an aux tank that doesn't have a fill spot inside the bed of truck? I've been pondering the idea of an aux pump that could pump fuel from the main to the aux tank. When I add a topper on the truck, I won't have access to the fill spout.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:45 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.
I think your best option is a Titan replacement tank, 50 gal or more if you have a long bed, tank replaces the stock tank under the truck. It's spendy and installing the fill hose is critical for keeping water out, but solves your issue.

Search "Titan tank" in the SD forum and read up.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:07 PM
Danthebrat
New User
Danthebrat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check out "The Fuel Box" @ Auxiliary - Transfer Tanks + Toolbox Combos The Fuelbox

These are great Aux fuel tanks with a toolbox to boot. They have many different configurations. I installed a 60gal Aux tank with transfer pump in my 2015 F-250 for 1900 installed. The toolbox is only 6" deep, good enough for hand tools. I will post pics if anyone wants.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:46 PM
2005 Ex Limited
Senior User
2005 Ex Limited is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Going to bring this back from the dead a little.

Has anyone mounted a truck tank under an excursion? I have a few ideas on how I want to do it, but I don't think that drilling into the structure is something I'd want to do.

So instead I am thinking that I will use the existing in-tank pump to just transfer to my main tank. Then worst comes to it I can run that as the main with a little work. But how to fill it? I'd rather not cut a hole in the body to add a second filler. Can I sneak a second filler neck in the same fill-er-up hole as I use now? Is there a way to just split the one fill hose and let gravity equalize them both?