Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auxillary Diesel Fuel Tank

Old 04-22-2013, 02:59 PM
cabindoc
Elder User
cabindoc has a very good reputation on FTE.cabindoc has a very good reputation on FTE.cabindoc has a very good reputation on FTE.
Great topic! I too was looking for tanks that fit under a cover, but did not need the toolbox option. I too wanted an aux tank, not a transfer tank but could not find the right size. So, I opted for a hybrid. I ordered a custom aux tank from a local tank mfr near me. the exact size that will fill the space. 49 gallons and $500. Then, I will order from the fuel box a Auto fuel controller. $375 Auto Fuel Controller

This will give me automatic fuel transfer as and when i need it and I can fill my tank here in NJ for $3.56 as of today.

So, $875 for 49 gallon tank, is better than some of the prices I was seeing..

Also, with a 2" bung hole for the gas cap, if I really wanted to transfer fuel to another tank via external pump, I can remove the cap and insert the pump and pump away. But, I don't see doing that very often.

Here is the link to the fuel tank mfr.
Custom marine fuel tanks for recreational, commercial crafts, U.S. Coast Guard, aluminum, steel, stainless steel, Jersey Shore, NJ, New Jersey

Old 04-23-2013, 05:57 PM
jim48
Elder User
jim48 has a good reputation on FTE.jim48 has a good reputation on FTE.jim48 has a good reputation on FTE.
Scott, glad you found a system you like. I have bought two tanks from RDS, great people. My 60 gal aux tank is right behind the headache rack. RDS is also a marine tank builder, I think that's all they use to make.

You'll really enjoy the range, I love my setup!! Sorry I didn't get to you sooner, no wi-fi in the rv park we're in here on the AFB.

Jim

Old 06-23-2013, 03:43 PM
RABRAZ
Junior User
RABRAZ is starting off with a positive reputation.
Transfer Flow

I am still learning about this stuff so excuse my ignorance.
Does anyone experience any problems with the transfer flow fuel management system and the OEM MPG monitoring system? Is everything compatible? does that system just dump fuel into the OEM tank upon demand?
Thanks for the info.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:08 PM
majkthreads
Elder User
majkthreads is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.majkthreads is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
From what I understand the transfer flow has a formula for when it transfers to the OEM tank. For mine it's usually about a 12-15 gallon difference it starts pumping.
As far as the mpg for me I don't monitor it too much. With the in bed tank ford cannot program the computer to make it read the fuel in the transfer flow tank. But for me just the extra capacity is nice, I kind of eyeball the mpg using the traxxII system from transfer flow.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:04 PM
n3hcp
Senior User
n3hcp is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.n3hcp is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by majkthreads View Post
From what I understand the transfer flow has a formula for when it transfers to the OEM tank. For mine it's usually about a 12-15 gallon difference it starts pumping.
As far as the mpg for me I don't monitor it too much. With the in bed tank ford cannot program the computer to make it read the fuel in the transfer flow tank. But for me just the extra capacity is nice, I kind of eyeball the mpg using the traxxII system from transfer flow.
I'm on my second in bed Transfer Flow tank. What I have found is the fuel gauge will give you a good overview of your fuel situation. By the time I get down to half a tank on the gauge I'm also about half full in the aux tank. From then on the two tanks go down evenly so they both would end up empty at about the same time.

One other thing I did was to put the Trax II controller on one of the upfitter switches so I can turn it off. That way when we go into an area with high fuel prices (like Canada) I can shut off the aux tank and only fill the main tank. I also can top it off and turn it off in the winter if I think the truck will not be used a lot. Less chance for condensation in a less then full tank that might sit for a while.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:54 PM
RABRAZ
Junior User
RABRAZ is starting off with a positive reputation.
TransferFlow

Thanks for the info. I hope I am not hijacking the thread but still a bit confused. What is the transfer rate once powered up or is it based on the OEM tank level? Guess I need to talk to a local dealer or find a users manual.
Thanks Again.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:40 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.
It takes 3 minutes to pump a gallon.

The system pumps fuel as you use it, when the truck tank gets depleted a little, the transfer begins.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:00 PM
majkthreads
Elder User
majkthreads is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.majkthreads is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by n3hcp View Post
I'm on my second in bed Transfer Flow tank. What I have found is the fuel gauge will give you a good overview of your fuel situation. By the time I get down to half a tank on the gauge I'm also about half full in the aux tank. From then on the two tanks go down evenly so they both would end up empty at about the same time.

One other thing I did was to put the Trax II controller on one of the upfitter switches so I can turn it off. That way when we go into an area with high fuel prices (like Canada) I can shut off the aux tank and only fill the main tank. I also can top it off and turn it off in the winter if I think the truck will not be used a lot. Less chance for condensation in a less then full tank that might sit for a while.

You could also just pull the fuse out of the back of the trax system.

Your right when it says half I'm about half of what It totally can carry. The only time it might be off is right before it starts pumping as the OEM tank will read it's lowest point before it starts pumping more fuel into the tank. Works like a charm.
I did have to get used to the clicking sound of the traxx II system when it does it's status check every couple of minutes.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:30 PM
n3hcp
Senior User
n3hcp is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.n3hcp is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You could also just pull the fuse out of the back of the trax system.

Your right when it says half I'm about half of what It totally can carry. The only time it might be off is right before it starts pumping as the OEM tank will read it's lowest point before it starts pumping more fuel into the tank. Works like a charm.
I did have to get used to the clicking sound of the traxx II system when it does it's status check every couple of minutes.
I mounted mine to the dash just above the headlight switch with double stick tape, so I can't get to the fuse. Makes for a neater appearance instead of the suction cup mount. Somebody might mistake that for a GPS and rip it off. Both of mine (the other was in a '06 F-250) seem to be off at the extremes. Between 1/4 and 3/4 it's right on the money.

For what it's worth, with the '06 I used to have a problem after filling up and then driving a long distance without shutting it down. The truck's computer got confused when it saw the fuel level go down and then back up without a stop. Gave me a check engine and a code for a fuel sensor failure. We stated carrying a OBDII reader to clear it.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:54 PM
majkthreads
Elder User
Originally Posted by n3hcp View Post
I mounted mine to the dash just above the headlight switch with double stick tape, so I can't get to the fuse. Makes for a neater appearance instead of the suction cup mount. Somebody might mistake that for a GPS and rip it off. Both of mine (the other was in a '06 F-250) seem to be off at the extremes. Between 1/4 and 3/4 it's right on the money.

For what it's worth, with the '06 I used to have a problem after filling up and then driving a long distance without shutting it down. The truck's computer got confused when it saw the fuel level go down and then back up without a stop. Gave me a check engine and a code for a fuel sensor failure. We stated carrying a OBDII reader to clear it.

That makes sense mounting it there. Between the traxx II and my edge cts that corner of the windshield looks rather full.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:29 AM
n3hcp
Senior User
Here's how I have the Trax II and my Scan Gauge mounted.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:35 AM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Filled it up today and with 8 gallons in the main tank it cost me $243.00 at $3.68 a gallon. I figure roughly $270-$280 from dead empty.

Not too bad, since I can save money on long hauls by price shopping diesel. The problem towing is that you have to stop before you get too low because you never know what the next station will be and how much they charge.
When I go up to NE. I had to top off right before IL and then fill up in MO. I hate IL. bio diesel. Now I never have to worry.
I am looking for an aux tank as well. seems they are all way overpriced.. want a vertical 60 gal, but seems all I can find are toolbox versions (to fit under bedcover when not towing).

I use gasbuddy app on my phone to look ahead at fuel prices on my route to decide when the stop. we JUST made it thru Illinois into Missouri
before needing to fill again. and iExit to tell me what is available at the highway exits.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:29 PM
jim48
Elder User
jim48 has a good reputation on FTE.jim48 has a good reputation on FTE.jim48 has a good reputation on FTE.
RDS in Florida, great people. I think Northern Tools also sells their tanks. I'm on my second. It's 60 gallon and works like a charm. 1,000 mile range for me when towing. Good luck with your choice...

Jim

Old 09-30-2013, 07:34 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by jim48 View Post
RDS in Florida, great people. I think Northern Tools also sells their tanks. I'm on my second. It's 60 gallon and works like a charm. 1,000 mile range for me when towing. Good luck with your choice...

Jim
the local Northern Tool store has 6 or 8 tanks on the shelf.. will go look.
a few are toolbox style.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:43 PM
jim48
Elder User
Great, maybe they will have one you like. I use a RDS fuel sender in mine and it's hooked to an Autometer fuel gauge on my dash. Airtex pump, Wix 33123, and 12 V. fuel valve all feeds to rear stock tank. Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way...........

Jim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auxillary Diesel Fuel Tank

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: