Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auxillary Diesel Fuel Tank

Old 04-18-2013, 03:11 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
marchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by etcouple View Post
I have a 2011 F-250 SD short bed too, I pull a 36' Carriage 5th wheel, I have a Pullrite Superglide hitch, installed in my bed. I wanted a regular transfer tank with tool box but would not fit, I removed my tool box and installed a 37 gal fuel tank, I opted for making it a gravity flow. I had it painted to match truck, It looks great and will install this weekend.
Welcome aboard et!

Sounds like you got it going your way.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:15 PM
SavageNFS
Post Fiend
SavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by etcouple View Post
I have a 2011 F-250 SD short bed too, I pull a 36' Carriage 5th wheel, I have a Pullrite Superglide hitch, installed in my bed. I wanted a regular transfer tank with tool box but would not fit, I removed my tool box and installed a 37 gal fuel tank, I opted for making it a gravity flow. I had it painted to match truck, It looks great and will install this weekend.
Welcome to FTE! I'd love to see a pic of that tank some day when it's convenient

Old 04-18-2013, 03:17 PM
etcouple
Freshman User
etcouple is starting off with a positive reputation.
Trying

Thank You

Old 04-18-2013, 03:21 PM
SavageNFS
Post Fiend
SavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputation
The easiest way to post pictures is to create a photobucket account. Upload the pictures to your account and then copy the IMG link. Then come here and paste the IMG link directly into your post. It will show up as a picture when you actually post.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:35 PM
etcouple
Freshman User
etcouple is starting off with a positive reputation.
Help

Thanks everyone for the all the great information. I keep learning something new on every new post I read. Keep up all the great work.
Ron

Old 04-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Tboogie9599
New User
Tboogie9599 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the welcome all. I didn't mean to hijack this post by the way but it was the most recent on the subject I could find.

My problem is the height. At 19" i'll be touching the bed cover. I've found several "auxiliary" style rectangular/horizontal tanks that will fit, tight but they will fit. I haven't been able to find a true "transfer" tank if that makes sense?

I guess I am really trying to figure out if there is much of a difference and if it is possible to use one of the auxiliary tanks with a small transfer pump? I'll be checking out the recommendations posted here in a bit. Thanks again for the welcome and your opinions and expertise.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:06 PM
SavageNFS
Post Fiend

I don't know if 17 7/8" makes a difference or not, but the one I linked to is not 19". You could spin it around and be good to go.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:39 PM
n3hcp
Senior User
n3hcp is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.n3hcp is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Tboogie9599 View Post
New to the forum and looking to extend my fuel range also because I haul a 5th.

Due to having a short bed and a roll bak bed cover I'm short on space. The only tank I can use is a rectangular box small enough to fit under the bed cover near the cab. Problem is I can't find a transfer tank that will fit, only auxiliary tanks. Can I use an auxiliary tank to pump from instead of an transfer tank? I don't want to go to the trouble and expense of piping the auxiliary tank to the on board fuel system. I think it would work with a DC pump but I'm no mechanic and don't want to waste my time and more importantly my money!

Thanks for any help and advice.
Ours is an 8' bed with a roll back bed cover and the 50 gallon Transfer Flow tank fits nicely under the cover. It's kind of hard to see in this picture but here it is anyway.

(There's a black tool box and a blue tarp also visible between the fuel than and the hitch.)

Old 04-18-2013, 05:01 PM
n3hcp
Senior User
n3hcp is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.n3hcp is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Tboogie9599 View Post

My problem is the height. At 19" i'll be touching the bed cover. I've found several "auxiliary" style rectangular/horizontal tanks that will fit, tight but they will fit. I haven't been able to find a true "transfer" tank if that makes sense?
My cover is also 19 inches above the bed and the tank fits with a couple inches to spare. The Transfer Flow 50 gallon tank with the Trax system is the best thing I ever did for my truck. 80+ usable gallons at the start of the day that all feed automatically. No need to stop for fuel even with the 12.000 pound fiver on the back. Don't leave home without it!!

While I didn't install mine myself, the installer told me it's not a big deal and many do-it-yourselfers do it with no problem in just a couple hours. I'm just too old and lazy to do it myself. Besides, I'm stimulating the local economy!

Old 04-18-2013, 08:36 PM
desertnomad
Senior User
desertnomad has a good reputation on FTE.desertnomad has a good reputation on FTE.
I just wish the Trax 50 gal wasn't so damn $$$.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:27 PM
majkthreads
Elder User
majkthreads is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.majkthreads is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just picked up the truck from the dealer today after they installed a 50 gal. transfer flow tank in the bed. It fits under my bak-flip bed cover nice.
The 70 gal was about 1" too tall for the cover to fit. Really wish the 70 gal would have fit. But the 50 extra gallons should help immensely when towing. Can't wait to try it out next month.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:35 PM
n3hcp
Senior User
Originally Posted by majkthreads View Post
Just picked up the truck from the dealer today after they installed a 50 gal. transfer flow tank in the bed. It fits under my bak-flip bed cover nice.
The 70 gal was about 1" too tall for the cover to fit. Really wish the 70 gal would have fit. But the 50 extra gallons should help immensely when towing. Can't wait to try it out next month.
You will love it, except when you fill it up, of course!

Old 04-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Tboogie9599
New User
Tboogie9599 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by desertnomad View Post
I just wish the Trax 50 gal wasn't so damn $$$.
Amen! I second that. But dang that's exactly what I've been looking for.

Thanks savageNFS and n3hcp for pointing me in that direction. That's awesome but I don't think the wife will allow me to spend that much. Thinking about a 9" high box from Northern Tool with a gravity feed at this point. $450 is more in line with my budget!

For anyone out there using gravity feed, how long does it take to top off your main tank?

Old 04-19-2013, 05:19 PM
carpbob
Freshman User
carpbob is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 30 gal in bed tank thats upright from kshmarine.com that doesn't take up much room.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:36 PM
majkthreads
Elder User
majkthreads is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.majkthreads is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by n3hcp View Post
You will love it, except when you fill it up, of course!

Filled it up today and with 8 gallons in the main tank it cost me $243.00 at $3.68 a gallon. I figure roughly $270-$280 from dead empty.

Not too bad, since I can save money on long hauls by price shopping diesel. The problem towing is that you have to stop before you get too low because you never know what the next station will be and how much they charge.
When I go up to NE. I had to top off right before IL and then fill up in MO. I hate IL. bio diesel. Now I never have to worry.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auxillary Diesel Fuel Tank

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: