Will this plumbing diagram for my aux tank work? MS Paint included - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this plumbing diagram for my aux tank work? MS Paint included

Old 09-13-2017, 07:38 AM
New User

lngwca is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UcaN View Post

What tank is this?. I have been looking for a small one like this. Thanks
Old 09-13-2017, 07:56 AM
Postmaster

Sous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud of
Those pictures were posted 4 years ago, so you may not get a response. To me, it looks like a homemade/custom tank.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:41 AM
Senior User

UcaN is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.UcaN is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Good morning.... yes indeed it is a custom made tank. It's been a few years but all i did was go to a metal supply shop and purchased all the threaded bungs and sheet metal (can't remember what gauge i used) then i took it to another metal shop to have it cut up and bent to the shape and size i provided them.

I plumbed both feed and return lines (feed line drivers side, return line passenger side which is visible in pic above) via a Polak switching valve bypassing the main tank completely. If you notice i have a float sender on the passenger side of the tank which was wired to a switch in the cab, thus making this a complete and separate system. When i hit the switch the main tank is disabled and the truck is fed from my top tank. Makes it real nice not having to get out of the truck and opening a valve.

It's just a small 30 gallon tank which is enough for my needs.

Forgot to mention the fittings on the top drivers side. The large fitting is to fill up the tank... the smaller fitting with the black cap is used to transfer fuel to an off-highway truck i have. I pressurize the tank via the air fitting (10lbs) and viola no need for an electric transfer pump.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:55 AM
New User

lngwca is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UcaN View Post
Good morning.... yes indeed it is a custom made tank. It's been a few years but all i did was go to a metal supply shop and purchased all the threaded bungs and sheet metal (can't remember what gauge i used) then i took it to another metal shop to have it cut up and bent to the shape and size i provided them.

I plumbed both feed and return lines (feed line drivers side, return line passenger side which is visible in pic above) via a Polak switching valve bypassing the main tank completely. If you notice i have a float sender on the passenger side of the tank which was wired to a switch in the cab, thus making this a complete and separate system. When i hit the switch the main tank is disabled and the truck is fed from my top tank. Makes it real nice not having to get out of the truck and opening a valve.

It's just a small 30 gallon tank which is enough for my needs.

Forgot to mention the fittings on the top drivers side. The large fitting is to fill up the tank... the smaller fitting with the black cap is used to transfer fuel to an off-highway truck i have. I pressurize the tank via the air fitting (10lbs) and viola no need for an electric transfer pump.
Thanks for the reply. The search continues. I'm looking for something slim like this. 20-30 gallons. But appreciate the info. I found a thin DeeZee 9" deep tank however it measures 60" and hits the "rolled" up bottom of of my f250 bed.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:04 PM
Senior User

afmedic is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.afmedic is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Northern tool has a large selection of transfer tanks. I just installed 2 90 gallon tanks on our dually at work that came from there. They hit the curve on the bed too, but a small platform took care of that
Old 09-14-2017, 02:42 PM
Posting Guru

DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.
Holy over-engineering!!

I run an aux tank, gravity feed. Simple ball valve on the side of the tank to shut it off if not needed, and can quick disconnect if I need more bed space.

It won't overflow and will disconnect and eject if you roll. If you don't want a constant feed just roll the valve, otherwise your main stays full and your gauge reads full until the aux is exhausted.

I fail to see why you would have a no win situation with just a gravity feed??

My 2 bits but always interested in learning.

Denny
Old 09-14-2017, 03:47 PM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
:I agree with Denny!!

And the 6-port pollack valve is famous for sucking air and just failing to work.

If your aux tank is smaller than main tank, no worry about overfill anyway. But, the fill kits for the aux tanks work good and that is what I would use. (If I didn't burn veggie oil!!! )
Old 09-15-2017, 09:35 PM
Elder User

carl2591 has a good reputation on FTE.carl2591 has a good reputation on FTE.
I was just going to install a 37 gallon tank in bed. I had installed a 1/4" fitting on top of tank near the back when I did the hutch mod and ran a section of fuel line to to front of bed under the cab.

I plan to put a small diesel transfer pump under there with a N/C elec solenoid valve that will be wired with the pump. (pump on valve open)

I figure when the main tank get to 1/4 I turn on pump, which opens valve and allows fuel to flow through pump to tank while going down the road..

according to spec the pump will flow 35 gallons per hour so i might need to start the pump a bit sooner like below 1/2 tank.

not complex and very useful.