Sponsored by:

My turn; rear C springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:50 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
My turn; rear C springs

It's been nearly 18 months since I swapped out the front Excursion springs for some used V's. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...y-turn-vs.html

Finally got enough motivation this weekend to attack with rears with considerable help from a friend (Nathan ). I picked up some cob-webbed 'C' rear springs off a F350, got'em painted and spiff'd up nicely. Actually, I picked up 4 springs for $20; guy just wanted them out of the yard (or his wife did). As I recall I paid $30 for the front pair of used V's also on CL. The rear U-bolts I picked up for a shipping fee from C50bart (). He's one of the rare birds not trying to find parts, but actually giving parts like the thread was intended , but I digress.

First off, the only level place in my drive way is in the garage (Humorus and fun factor later ). Used 4 6-ton jack stands (before I start a another discussion they are 12Ton in a pair, Harbor Freight 20% off, you know the routine) which did a fair amount of leaning for a level garage, but they held fine.

Wasn't sure how the Ex would sit on C's, so we went the modified B route with a twist. Insert Sammy Davis Jr. here, 'I gotta be meeee'.

1. Of course support the vehicle safely using as many jack stands as you think ridiculous - that's double what you think - 'cause your family will appreciate it.
2. Remove lower shock mount.
3. With the truck on stands, support the axle with a study floor jack and start removing the U-bolts. Might be helpful if someone had washed the truck since the last FTE get 2-gether - Pismo beach sand...
4. You've been soaking them with penetrating oil the past 6 months right? So they come off without too much effort; or with some cheater bar help.
5. Wrestle that spring out after removing the front eye bolt and rear lower shackle bolt (both have nut retainers for ease of extraction - thx Ford).
6. Gravity works pretty good with the removal; not so much with the modified C install .
7. Original idea was use the classic Mod B on the C spring. But then I knew the U-bolts were a tad long and wouldn't an extra leaf be the bee's knees? Free up the 3rd leaf with a grinder. Plus, why not use that paper weight, I mean slapper bar as an additional 1/2'' of height? After all, with 2 sets of truck nutz, Ex's need their slappers.

Attached Images        
Old 03-17-2013, 10:29 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Part Deux

8. The second photo shows the wpnaes Mod. Yeah... from the bottom, springs 3&4 gotta turn 180 degrees. Would have been nice to see that before the springs went up and in.
9. Luckily, not yet bolted in. We got the bottom springs the right way. Honestly, no beers had been consumed up to this point.
10. Once that beast of a spring pack was in, she put up a good fight, but eventually lay in place to get the bolts in - notice this is the drivers side, so no stinkin' A/C lines to deal with (more on that later).
11. The axle moved back 1.5 inches, so we used the winch in front to pull the axle forward to allow the spring pack to fit into the stock 2'' block with bumper bar. Note yellow dust is deWalt paint off their sawzall blade used to trim the extra long U-bolts.
12. Don't get your shorts in a knot; yes I used a 3/4'' nut as a spacer on top of the leaf pack plate (ran outta threads); will replace them when I get some shorter U-bolts.
13. 5th photo - noticed an issue; truck is now too tall to exit garage. I'm one of the few who appreciate the stock luggage rack bars - so much so that I have extra ones up there; and they weren't helping height clearance.
14. Make some room to drive out and commence beer consumption - it's after noon. Notice nice side to side Bro-Lean.

Attached Images        
Old 03-17-2013, 11:12 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Part Trois

15. Turn the truck around and start working on the passenger side.
16. Remove 2 nuts holding the rear A/C lines nearest the front eye. You'll need those loose to fish out that 5'' bolt. Works best to fish it out between the top 2 lines and the bottom 2 (4 total). Careful not to damage them.
17. Exhaust was hacked off long ago after an offroad trip with lots of backing out of a tight spot.
18. Remove the loose rear anti-sway bar link; I put it in wrong the first time.
19. Fish out the stock spring with the shackle attached. Make up the wpnaes Mod for C's - paying attention this time to spring direction.
20. Note axle shifts rearward when detached; move forward with winch and orange strap.
21. Tighten up all the U-bolts and shackle/eye bolts to 185 ft/lbs. That's hard to do on a creeper dolly.
22. Get serious about making headroom for the garage door. Or forget you had the deflator on the tire while enjoying a beer.
23. Enjoy your work; double check you tightened everything; check again in 100 miles.

Attached Images        
Old 03-17-2013, 11:28 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Final photos

The rear went up 3.5 inches over stock with 315 tires. I drove to downtown LA this morning for a get together. Honestly, the ride is not that different; firmer, but not uncomfortably. Not as much wallow going through a turn and street gutter combo which is really welcome. I'll play with 9000 shock settings, currently on 5. A few before pics (4 & 5) posted. Last pic, I'm the guy on the left - supporting the Irish today.

Attached Images       
Old 03-18-2013, 01:20 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Three and a half inches is a nice lift without getting your CG higher than you want it, and it looks completely stock from the "business" point of view.

Does this mean the EX never gets to back inside again?

I'll bet that you'll feel better when the shorter U-bolts go on....

What's with the mix-n-match rims?

Pop

Old 03-18-2013, 01:30 AM
VQT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How high is the front? How come it looks like the rear is lower, or is it an optical illusion.

Thanks

Old 03-18-2013, 07:17 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Three and a half inches is a nice lift without getting your CG higher than you want it, and it looks completely stock from the "business" point of view.

Does this mean the EX never gets to back inside again?

I'll bet that you'll feel better when the shorter U-bolts go on....

What's with the mix-n-match rims?

Pop
Thx Pop. Yes, no more garage, but I never used it before due to wife's vehicle getting first priority...

I'll need to be careful at indoor parking garages now.

'Before' pics had mix match rims, got'em matching now.

Originally Posted by VQT
How high is the front? How come it looks like the rear is lower, or is it an optical illusion.

Thanks
In post 4 - Pics 4 and 5 are 'before' photos. I'll get you some measurements in front.

Attached Images  
Old 03-18-2013, 09:13 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
The new photo really shows off the effort, Sean! The work is obvious! Looks very-well-balanced now.

The squatting was pretty apparent in the earlier photos.

Your efforts really "payed-off", with an even-better-looking truck!

I've got a 2000 two-wheeler Eddie Bauer in my driveway this morning to play with today. New water pump from Clay.

Also, the fuel valve O-rings. Got the blue, "best" ones from Guzzle.

Pop

Old 03-18-2013, 10:25 AM
VQT
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wpnaes
In post 4 - Pics 4 and 5 are 'before' photos. I'll get you some measurements in front.
That the pictures I was looking at and thought it was the after pics. More picts of the new set up please

Old 03-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Great job! It looks great!
And kudos on your write-up,
Very entertaining AND informative.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Thx Misky! You know FTE pays more for humorous posts ... I'm just thankful a few of us have the same dry funny bone.

Just measured from blacktop to bottom lip of the fender.

44'' rear, 42'' front.

Pop, ya gotta start a thread on the 2000. Many can learn from your experience!

Agree, some folks go CG crazy...

Attached Images  
Old 03-18-2013, 10:29 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wpnaes

Just measured from blacktop to bottom lip of the fender.

44'' rear, 42'' front.
Really nice!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:34 AM
wrxin
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great results Sean! I need to get up the courage to get mystery springs working. All the science and mystery that goes into add a leaf here, remove a leaf there... is daunting. I need to learn more about the pins, where to get them, how to restructure a spring, etc. I have dismantling yards near me in Denver but they want stupid money for used springs, basically almost as much as new springs... not much pops up on Craigslist here besides these dismantling folks.

PS

What front bumper do you have? Love it...

Old 03-19-2013, 09:48 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Wrxin, don't give up. In no time you can be doing the same with some more reading and questions on FTE. Springs are just curved slabs of steel, pins are just grade 8 bolts from the local Ace or True Value. Trial and error with spring assembly is the fun part.

Lots of mfgers make these bumpers. I got'em from here.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:26 AM
VQT
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wrxin
I have dismantling yards near me in Denver but they want stupid money for used springs, basically almost as much as new springs... not much pops up on Craigslist here besides these dismantling folks.
That's why I gave up and paid new from Tousley Ford and Sunrise Ford in Southern CA. It was all about which one has better the shipping cost for the heavy springs.

Quick Reply: My turn; rear C springs