General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

So How Do You Secure Yer Dog in Your Truck Bed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 02:30 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question So How Do You Secure Yer Dog in Your Truck Bed?

I've got a 25lb beagle that I love to take with us to the lake, park, etc. The dilema is how do I secure her to the bed? I was using a short rope attached to my spare tire and clipped to her body harness, but since I've applied bedliner in the bed I'm not going to carry the spare tire around anymore.

I was thinking of maybe some kind of bar that extends from the left side to the right side of the bed that quickly attaches and has a center tie down point to connect her body harness.

How do ya'll keep yer dogs from exiting the truck bed?

Old 06-02-2003, 02:40 PM
jbalestri
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.cargogear.com/Pets/PetRestraints.htm

There are a few ideas like this. I found it from searching "truck bed dog restraints" on the web.

Personally, I use a crate. I crate train most of my dogs, so putting them in there isn't a problem. Then I secure the crate to the sides of the truck in each direction and take a strap over the crate. Just to hold it down just in case the truck should flip or roll, etc. I position the carrier as far towards the cab as possible, to keep the wind to a minimum. Although dogs love it, its not good for their ears.

I had a gooseneck ball in one of my trucks, and I used to tie them to that, but I had the leash/rope too long. I thought it was short enough that they wouldn't jump out, but one did and almost hung herself. Thankfully, she was big enough that her hind legs touched the rim and she could support some of her weight.

I started using the crate then.

Old 06-02-2003, 03:21 PM
gtex
Lead Driver
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm ashamed to admit that he rides free in the bed. He is 105 lbs, and getting and manging a kennel that size is a lot of work.

I know it's risky, but he loves it and he doesn't try to jump out even if I am parked at a restaraunt or grocery store for a few hours.

Old 06-02-2003, 04:27 PM
Jim242002
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My labs also ride freely....

but you might could tie his leach to the truck tiedowns on the bed walls.....it wouldn't hurt him and would keep him in....

Old 06-02-2003, 04:30 PM
Buckarcher
Posting Guru

Absolutely use a crate. You wouldn't believe the injuries I've seen to dogs that were secured with a short enough leash to keep them from falling out. Falling out is not the only hazard in an open bed. My dogs ride in the cab or in a secured crate in the bed if I am going any father than the next field to hunt.

Old 06-02-2003, 08:29 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Buckarcher
My dogs ride in the cab or in a secured crate in the bed if I am going any father than the next field to hunt.
Thank you, Buckarcher- and that is the ONLY way a dog should ride in a vehicle, PERIOD. Would you tie one of your own children to the bed, knowing they're "safe from falling out?" Of course not, and your dog deserves no less. It just blows my mind when I see someone driving with their dog in the open cargo box. A neighbor of mine used to do this- until he rolled the pickup. That was 5 years ago, and he still hasn't forgiven himself for the suffering and eventual death of his beautiful German Shepherd.

Old 06-02-2003, 08:30 PM
924x2150
Posting Guru

I don't have a dog, but I am surprised to see how many people around here, Philadelphia suburbs, let their dogs ride in the back unrestrained. The dogs seem to have pretty good balance, and seem to enjoy the scenery. It does look unsafe though, if there was an accident the dog would be thrown out or maybe even be slammed into the front wall of the bed. Restrain those puppies!!

Old 06-02-2003, 09:40 PM
Bluehawk
More Turbo

Actually, I was told by the SPCA here, that they recommend that the dog be unrestrained in the bed. This keeps them from being hung if they jump out. If the truck is in an accident, they said it can suffer worse injuries tied in the bed.

Bluehawk

Old 06-02-2003, 09:42 PM
Hank28
New User

My lab rides in the truck with me...He is pretty much human...
He tries to drink out of a glass and likes to flirt with the girls at Sonic...

Old 06-02-2003, 09:46 PM
wolfmanagh
Posting Guru

When I take the brothers dog out I put him in the cab. It just isn't a good idea to leash the dog in the bed. A body harness is recomended, but I've never used one.

If your going to make your little friend ride in the bed get a good pet kennel. When I take my cats to the vet they ride in a kennel in the cab. They are my buddys and they deserve to be treated with their saftey in mind.

Sure the dog likes the wind blowing in their face, but I don't think the little dust particles and bugs blowing in the air does any good for thier eyes.

Old 06-02-2003, 11:26 PM
79Lariat
Senior User

VELCRO...

Down

Stay

Good boy

Old 06-03-2003, 12:20 AM
dilas
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Camper shell would be the answer for transporting dogs in truck. I used to have a older F150 with shell and it's really practical. I open the windows all the way, yet it's small enough to keep dogs in the bed. I'm considering purchasing the shell for my current F150 again, yet they're not cheap and it's not easy finding a decent used fiberglass shell.

Old 06-03-2003, 12:21 AM
MEPR
Elder User

my lab rides in the fron seat just like a person, its realy funny to see her all buckled up and everything

Old 06-03-2003, 06:11 AM
AOGDEN
Senior User

Boo rides up front w/ me. If my daughter wants to go with us she can ride in the back.

Old 06-03-2003, 08:56 AM
zetec2000
New User

Kudos to those of you that use a crate in the Bed.

Mine are spoiled (they OWN the jump seats in my 83 Club Cab), but the crate is the only way to go.

Neighbor has a Mastiff (named Tinky) who rides in a custom crate made from 2x4 and 1/2" plywood.
Keeps her Dry in the wet, and With the crate lashed to the tie down's, she's safe in case something happens.

Only way to travel

~Paris

Quick Reply: So How Do You Secure Yer Dog in Your Truck Bed?