1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Moog versus TRW versus Raybestos: suspension parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 AM
Heisenberg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moog versus TRW versus Raybestos: suspension parts

On another thread, I mentioned I was replacing the tie rod ends, drag link, pittman arm, and tie rod connecting tube (spindle) on my 1970 F-250 4WD Crew. Since I had been familiar with Moog for a long time, I decided to go with their Problem Solver parts.

When they arrived, the left hand tie rod already had the grease fitting installed and the threads were buggered up, like it had been dropped. Since all the other Moog parts had the nut, cotter pin, and grease fitting in a sealed bag, I knew this part had already been in someone else's hands. No big deal... I just called the supplier and told them to send me a new one.

After a couple of days, when they couldn't provide a tracking number, I said forget it; I will get one from somewhere else. I found that RockAuto listed the part by Moog, TRW, and Raybestos. I was already mad at Moog, and since some information I found indicated that Moog and TRW are the same (other information says they aren't, but their part numbers were the same), I decided to go with Raybestos.

Ironically, the Raybestos part and the replacement Moog part came on the same day. They had completely different part numbers and different boxes, but the parts were IDENTICAL, all the way down to the stampings, the smaller nut (versus the right side), and the missing cotter pin.

And while the Moog box was labeled "Problem Solver," it didn't have the gold colored back stamping. By all accounts, it appears Moog shipped me a Raybestos part, made by their direct competitor.

So if Moog, Raybestos, and TRW are all the same, shouldn't we just buy the cheapest? Or does anyone think Moog sent me the cheaper Chinese parts because they were out of the Problem Solver ones?