Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

2010 F250... 100,000 miles... buy or no?

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Old 03-06-2013, 08:06 PM
BlackSmokeBaker
New User
BlackSmokeBaker is starting off with a positive reputation.

It has a leveling kit with 35's. fx4. 16,500. I think the price is good but Im just worried from all the bad talk of the 6.4 liter. Any opinions?

Old 03-06-2013, 08:15 PM
StanleyZ
Postmaster
StanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BlackSmokeBaker View Post
It has a leveling kit with 35's. fx4. 16,500. I think the price is good but Im just worried from all the bad talk of the 6.4 liter. Any opinions?
Yes, but I just wrote them for the post above, or I guess below now. Read there and save me some writing.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:21 PM
BlackSmokeBaker
New User
yeah, i was just checking that out. Kinda scary that these 6.4s are considered "roll of the dice" outside of warranty. I have a company truck so it would definitely do alot of sitting but I have 2 boats that wore my harley f150 flat out! Now i have a horse trailer and a 5th wheel camper so I definitely need a diesel. I felt like this was a good deal for a FX4, crew cab, short bed diesel.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:25 PM
BlackSmokeBaker
New User
what is the talk about DPF? And I know almost every diesel now days has some kind of programmer on it. I know this one doesnt but should I get one? I would definitely want to do some preventative maintenance, if i can. I know I have LOTS of reading to do but just wanna make a quick decision on this truck.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:37 PM
JWC 3
Post Fiend
JWC 3 has a superb reputationJWC 3 has a superb reputationJWC 3 has a superb reputationJWC 3 has a superb reputationJWC 3 has a superb reputationJWC 3 has a superb reputationJWC 3 has a superb reputationJWC 3 has a superb reputationJWC 3 has a superb reputationJWC 3 has a superb reputationJWC 3 has a superb reputation
A friend recently bought one .Hauled a tractor and a few loads of hay . Loved it till that last load . New engine , Ford says . sucks for him . Told him not to get rid of his 97 .

Old 03-06-2013, 09:14 PM
BlackSmokeBaker
New User
see, thats crazy.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:21 PM
StanleyZ
Postmaster
StanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to behold
what is the talk about DPF? And I know almost every diesel now days has some kind of programmer on it. I know this one doesnt but should I get one? I would definitely want to do some preventative maintenance, if i can. I know I have LOTS of reading to do but just wanna make a quick decision on this truck.
I don't want you to take ths as talking down to you but if you don't know what a DPF is it would be a bad move to make a "quick' decision on this truck. Get on this site and start reading about the 6.4L and the DPF and how it works (or don't work) and what poor or lacking maintainance can cause. You need to know that repairing almost anything in the engine starts by removing the cab. Read up on the coolant system poblems and the fuel pressure problems. I'm not saying you will have all those but you need to know the down side to these trucks. You need to know that you won't get mileage worth a crap, maybe 15 on the hghway if you will drive 60 and that these trucks are very poor daily drivers if they are stock. If you're thinking of a tuner you need to know what they cost now since the EPA has been running the makers out of business. You need to know that the truck should always be maintained on the extreme use schedule and what that cost every 5000 miles. The 6.4l is very expensive to operate and very very expensive to repair. I just called the dealer yesterday for an estimate to replace the upper and lower radiator hoses, $750 plus some coolant, and he wasn't even laughing. Hope this helps you.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:11 PM
BlackSmokeBaker
New User
I knew the cab needed to come off to do work on the motor as ive watched it be done a few times. Not too extreme of a job, once you've done it a couple times. And as far as radiator hoses, id do them myself before 700 bucks. Im no stranger to working on things as ive built plenty race cars and my dad owns a body shop. Diesels, i wont lie, i dont know much about and its completely different from a gas motor. I agree i need to read more bout them. At the same time, i bet 75% or more that buy diesels at the lot dont think twice about what a DPF is and so forth. With the trailers i have, a diesel is my only way due to basically ruining my 07 harley truck. As far as mileage, im not concerned. I drive my work truck 95% of the time cause its all free. The truck does run really well and i cant seem to find an issue with it. Thanks for the responses and ill definitely be doing some reading.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:13 PM
BlackSmokeBaker
New User
And as far as the tuners cost, throw a figure at me.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:59 PM
StanleyZ
Postmaster
And as far as the tuners cost, throw a figure at me.
You can look on ebay and get an up to date feel. The H&S mini is out of production and the last I saw they were in the high teens like 1700 bucks. If you can find one. The Spartans are still being made as far as I know, they've always been pricey somewhere around 1300 I think. But with H&S shut down spartan can charge whatever they want. Like I said go on ebay and search for "DPF delete". You need a pipe and a tuner to do it. Don't be fooled, there are tuners on there that will not let you delete the DPF. They are a waste of money in my opinion although many swear by the Banks stuff. Most economical prices are on craigs lists. I was down in Fort Myers and listed my edge for 50 bucks more than I paid two years ago. Guy from Pittsburg jumped all over it, guess I should have asked for more. Good luck.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:16 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I would not shy away from one of these with 100K and a dpf if you can verify any maintance and the engine hours are low.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:52 PM
caddy
Senior User
caddy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 2009 F250 with approx 62K trouble free miles. The only things I have changed on my truck are tires+wheels (personal preference) and a battery so far. I have not had any issues so far. On fuel I get 15-18 on hwy depending how heavy my foot is. And city 12-13. The mpg have held steady. I just bought a used spartan for 750 and expect delivery tomorrow. I have not decided whether to download a tune or just use the DD for gauges until my warranty expires. I purchased the extended warranty up to 100k when I first bought the truck. I bought the truck with 18 miles on it from dealer.

If I was in your shoes, I would do some research on multiple forums. Also do some research on the vehicle you are considering purchasing. For example how many previous owners, any large repairs in the history, any mods etc. Just as much info as you can. Any only pull the trigger until you feel comfortable with the investment you are about to make.

This is my first diesel I have owned. I crossed over from the bowtie. I have learned a lot in the forums. Just fyi I don't use extreme service schedule like others since I don't tow often and don't let my truck idle. I change oil at 7-7.5K and follow standard service schedule.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:19 PM
frdfan
Senior User
frdfan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good advice from the experienced guys. I tuned and deleted at 49,000 miles, had a few leaks (cab offs) that were covered under warranty before that. The truck now is awesome, pulls anything and I have had no issues. I do stick with the stock filters and run diesel additive religiously thou.