6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 F450 w/6.4, White Smoke from exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 07:49 PM
nuckinfutz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I realize that we all here have one commonality, that we all own and operate a Ford. When a new to me vehicle blows smoke so heavy that I can't see the car behind me for at a minimum of a half mile and as long as five miles, not just once in a while, but several times a week, it become an embarrassment to own a Ford.
I would love to send anyone who is interested this fifty six second video. I would enjoy your responses if only for one moment you could see yourself in my shoes.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:26 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz
I realize that we all here have one commonality, that we all own and operate a Ford. When a new to me vehicle blows smoke so heavy that I can't see the car behind me for at a minimum of a half mile and as long as five miles, not just once in a while, but several times a week, it become an embarrassment to own a Ford.
I would love to send anyone who is interested this fifty six second video. I would enjoy your responses if only for one moment you could see yourself in my shoes.
We don't doubt you, and it shouldn't happen but once in a blue moon so something appears to be wrong. If there is another dealer around try them, they might have better luck at fixing the issue.
But having said that, if at all possible drive until it's clean, I did many a time only had to shut down during a regen a couple of times. It's a pain in the butt, but I think it's worth it for the well being of the truck.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:22 PM
nuckinfutz
New User
I will take your advice, nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:05 AM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Mine will belch a white smoke screen for about a minute while regen is heating stuff up. I was behind a fellow 6.4 doing the same once. It's vicious and nasty azz stuff to be inhaling... Smells like lighter fluid sprayed on hot briquettes

It happens most predictably when it's <60F outside after I come to a long stop light so things get to cool down. The moment I touch the gas, it'll belch and continue to belch no matter how light I'm on the pedal

I've been to different dealer several times; all have run manual regens while trying to duplicate it unsuccessfully and ultimately concluded it's normal. I've posted videos of my smoke and showed it to them. I've also had discussions with the regional customer service manager where they sent me a writeup from Ford saying the more full the DPF is and the more interrupted regens there's been since the last full regen , the more smoke it'll belch. And.... it's perfectly normal. It's not clear to me what the reasoning is in that explanation, but me thinks portions of the CAT have cooled off enough where fuel simply fizzes in it and smokes until it heats back up.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:50 AM
rjlabonte
Junior User
aquaman,

Thanks for your input and insight on this issue. This is by far the best explanation I've heard on this issue. Appreciate your input and it sounds very logical.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:20 PM
jlrFordFan
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nuckinfutz
I'd like to hear if you've taken a good long drive at highway speeds to clean your DPF. If not, set aside some time on a weekend or evening, find an interstate highway and go for a drive. If you're getting the "drive to clean" message then it shouldn't take long for a regen cycle to initiate and a good highway drive should give your truck the opportunity it's been wanting to burn off all the soot in the DPF. I have a theory about your smokin' but I'll save that until you've confirmed you've bee able to get a full/complete regen cycle.

As you'll read all over on the FTE forums, these trucks need to be able to really "work", that is so the EGT can get up in the range where the exhaust treatment methods work as designed. City driving, lots of idling, and shutting down during a regen are just a few of the conditions that these trucks "don't like".

Keep us informed.....

Old 05-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Dorito
Senior User
Mine did the same thing a few days ago, except I have lost some coolant. I'm not sure where it went though. My oil level didn't rise and I have not seen any coolant on the ground. Any ideas?

Old 05-05-2013, 08:44 PM
john gyori
New User
off topic but looking at 2008 6.4 wondering what kind of fuel mileage

Old 05-05-2013, 08:44 PM
nuckinfutz
New User
Originally Posted by jlrFordFan
Nuckinfutz
I'd like to hear if you've taken a good long drive at highway speeds to clean your DPF. If not, set aside some time on a weekend or evening, find an interstate highway and go for a drive. If you're getting the "drive to clean" message then it shouldn't take long for a regen cycle to initiate and a good highway drive should give your truck the opportunity it's been wanting to burn off all the soot in the DPF. I have a theory about your smokin' but I'll save that until you've confirmed you've bee able to get a full/complete regen cycle.

As you'll read all over on the FTE forums, these trucks need to be able to really "work", that is so the EGT can get up in the range where the exhaust treatment methods work as designed. City driving, lots of idling, and shutting down during a regen are just a few of the conditions that these trucks "don't like".

Keep us informed.....
I've had an appointment with the dealership for sometime before I joined this site. So the dealership has it now, and they watched the video that I sent to the repair desk. The truck tech seems to believe it's coolant.
It makes me even more apprehensive. Water doesn't compress, thus putting tremendous pressure on the head and head gasket. Yieks, stress on a head that my not show damage for sometime later. My luck, 5 years and 1 day...kaboom! Then its my problem.
As for the notion that my driving is city, ha, I may have 2 stops in my 33 mile commute. I would venture to say that my driving style is spirited. Although my load hauling is only occasional, my foot is usually in the pedal.
I did ask the dealership to do a manual regen, only time will tell if they do it.
I certainly will post their results or findings. The end of this month, the trailer goes on and we're heading out for a 100 mile or so travel with the trailer attached for the 3 day weekend.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely try the next time the regen signal comes on. How often does yours come on? Mine has come on about 5 times in the 10 months I've owned it.
Looking forward to your reply.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:48 PM
john gyori
New User
6.4 diesel fuel economy pulling dump trailer

off topic but considering 2008 f 350 and wondering if dealership knows what kind of fuel mileage it gets

Old 05-06-2013, 05:28 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,412 Likes on 1,007 Posts
Originally Posted by john gyori
off topic but considering 2008 f 350 and wondering if dealership knows what kind of fuel mileage it gets
Dealership may give you an idea but they do not know. Everyone else does not know what you will get either. There are too many factor involved. EPA does not even rate them.

I get about 13 city and 17 hwy unloaded.

I tow alot so my lifetime average is 11.5.

But that is me.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:35 AM
nuckinfutz
New User
On my truck with and my driving style, I regularly get 12.8 MPG in the warmer weather. Dead of winter I get about 11.2, I don't think the truck likes winter like I do!
I agree with Senix, your truck, your driving style and the trucks gearing at the rear end all make the MPG fluctuate. And also the ambient temperature will affect it.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:47 AM
nuckinfutz
New User
Originally Posted by jlrFordFan
Nuckinfutz

Keep us informed.....
As I said, I'd get back after the truck was completed. During the 8 days the dealership had the truck I asked them to do a manual regen, review the TSB on the leaking radiator and hoses, review the supplied video showing the exhaust smoking and attempt to repair.

They called me to say the truck tech watched the video and believed the smoke was from the coolant. So, I told them to keep me informed.

The following day they called to ask when the last oil change was and I told them. He replied that the oil level was about 2 to 3 quarts high. So suspiciously I asked if there was any coolant in the oil, suspecting blowby. He said they would check it out and let me know.

They also did replace the radiator and the upper & lower hoses as per the TSB. Thanks to this site, it saved me quite a bit of cash.

So Friday when I picked it up they told me there was no water or fuel in the oil that they observed. When theycalled Ford and explained the smoking situation, Ford asked them to check the oil level and said if the oil was overfilled, it would put the truck to regen without placing the notice on the info panel. So quite possibly the truck has been attempting to cycle the DPF and regen without completion as you suggested and there is a considerable buildup. Although they made no mention of doing a manual regen, I'll have to see the results of the current repairs.

Thank You for Your Help.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:17 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
2 to 3 quarts is a lot of "growth", but not unheard of. how many miles since your last oil change? You just cannot go long beween changes on these stock trucks. I don't know if I asked you or not but are you using biodiesel? According to the EPA report on bio in DPF technology engines, the "growth" is more than with just diesel. The bio will not boil out of the oil like regular diesel will. And, I believe that EPA test was done with B5 (5% bio) now many states are requriing retailers to sell only B20. If you read the owners manual our trucks are rated for only B5.

I used to have some growth and a lot of dilution so I developed a little oil management program that you might consider. It worked well for me, was cheap and once I got to using it I could drain and refill in just a few minutes. 1. Install a fumoto or similar valve on the oil pan. 2. Do a full oil and filter change every 5000 miles. 3. Between changes at each 1000 mile interval drain down to one quart low and add a quart of fresh. Cost is one gallon of oil (about 17 bucks) each cycle. Results are no over filled crank case, less oil dilution and better oil reports. The hardest part is reading the dipstick to find out when you're a quart low. Best to do the drain early morning after truck has sat over night. Hope this helps.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:39 PM
nuckinfutz
New User
StanleyZ,
Ok, so I'm just entering the diesel ownership field. To be completely honest, I read the owners manual and it says during light duty driving, 10,000 mile oil change is acceptable. I thought that if I had 15 quarts and 6 months for an oil change that that would offset the cost from a gas engine change.
So now I'm learning a lot about this power plant. Subtle nuances that aren't common with the more complex gasoline internal combustion engine.
To answer your question of miles on the previous oil change, I would imagine that it would be in the area of 7,000 miles. I generally fuel up at the local Mobile station, I don't know if its fossil fuel or bio-diesel, and furthermore, if it's B5 or higher. Do they have to post it on the dispenser?

Quick Reply: 2008 F450 w/6.4, White Smoke from exhaust?