1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Right Side Wiper on a 1949 F Series?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 10:20 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Right Side Wiper on a 1949 F Series?

I've made the search, read the stories, success and horror, about the addition of 12V electric up grade WWs to replace the vacuum motor. Could be JMHO, but the aftermarket upgrade kit that includes both side wipers is a bit pricy. I am at the point in my refurbish that I need to act.

So I believe I have a few options to get dual wipers on the '49..... The dear wife is not going to want to ride in the rain with no wiper on her side even with RainX.......

1. I can buy an overpriced aftermarket kit of questionable quality and functionality that required cutting dash braces to install.

2. Obtain the link and pivot assembly for the driver side and hook it to my vacuum motor. It appears to me the passenger side link and pivot is designed to run through the existing dash bracing and would not involve any destructive work to the truck. I do want to retain full functionality of the air vent.
I fully understand the frailties of the vacuum wipers. A vacuum reservoir check valve system would be incorporated if I stay vacuum.

3. Modify an electric wiper assembly with a link to the passenger side, obtain the link assembly from the vacuum motor to the passenger side.

I have the ability to fabricate what may be required but would like very much to keep it simple with functional reliability. I am leaning toward trying to obtain an original right side pivot and link and go from there with an electric motor.

So Who has modified their system, what did you do. Again, I would like to keep it simple.

Anyone have the right side link, pivot and pivot retaining parts taking up valuable space in their shop? I realize some of this right hand stuff is available aftermarket.

and as always, thanks for listening.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:48 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been both routes. On my 48 F-3 I used vacuum wipers with the linkage to the right side. It worked good enough for me because I rarely drive my truck in the rain anyway. On my 49 I purchased an aftermarket kit (used) that uses the stock linkage to operate the right side wiper and that seems like it will work okay but the motor is very noisy and I haven't finished my truck yet. If you have a good operating vacuum wiper unit I would use it. You can sometimes find the right side linkage on Ebay or perhaps someone here might have one. Check with 51panelman. He has a lot of parts...

Old 03-06-2013, 12:51 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
I've been both routes. On my 48 F-3 I used vacuum wipers with the linkage to the right side. It worked good enough for me because I rarely drive my truck in the rain anyway. On my 49 I purchased an aftermarket kit (used) that uses the stock linkage to operate the right side wiper and that seems like it will work okay but the motor is very noisy and I haven't finished my truck yet. If you have a good operating vacuum wiper unit I would use it. You can sometimes find the right side linkage on Ebay or perhaps someone here might have one. Check with 51panelman. He has a lot of parts...
Thanks, If I have my choice, I'll never drive mine in the rain. Just want to be prepared. So much easier to work up under the dash when there is no wiring, instruments, windshield, etc. Yeah, I am thinking perhaps someone will have what I need. May I ask what motor you installed that is noisy?

Old 03-06-2013, 03:04 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
Thanks, If I have my choice, I'll never drive mine in the rain. Just want to be prepared. So much easier to work up under the dash when there is no wiring, instruments, windshield, etc. Yeah, I am thinking perhaps someone will have what I need. May I ask what motor you installed that is noisy?
I knew you were going to ask that but I can't remember at this time...CRS acting up!

Old 03-06-2013, 04:37 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,831 Likes on 1,833 Posts
I'm in the same boat, my truck only had the drivers side wiper and it wasn't working. I searched on Ebay and finally found the passenger side wiper pivot and linkage (I acutally bought a complete set up with vacuum motor, both pivots and the linkage)
I did spend a lot of time on ebay asking questions of any seller who seemed like they were parting out a truck if they would sell me the dual linkage....even if they didn't have it listed as an auction.

You're right, the linkage goes through the holes in the dash braces on either side of the radio.

My thoughts are to add an electric motor to the linkage. I haven't gotten that far yet. Rain out here in the desert is so rare that this isn't a high priority at the moment...LOL

Here's a shot under dash taken from the glovebox area;

Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2013, 05:22 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
For future reference, these guys have just about everything you need to make a really nice electric system: Windshield Wiper Blades and Systems | DC Electric Motors | Wiper Motor Assembly | AM Equipment

They make systems for buses, boats, etc that are sort of "one-off" or low volume. I have one of their motor/crank setups I got at a swap meet, but making the linkage work right is a bear. On 51-52 we don't have the radio supports like 48-50, so there is nothing to hang the motor off of.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:29 PM
hank50car
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used cable driven wipers out of a Mgb (Midget or Triumph will work also). The wiper transmissions clear defroster vents. It works well.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:35 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

I obtained a complete dual original wiper set up so I'll go with a stock dual configuration. I disassembled cleaned and lubricate my original motor and it now works great. Very strong throughout all speed and range. I will set it up with a reservoir.
Thanks for all replies and suggestions.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:41 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Not to hijack the thread but I need to get in touch with hank50car. I am using the cable drive wipers from a Jag and would like to ask a few questions. Send me an e mail please to holehawgg@gmail.com . And for anyone else interested, I found this dual wiper system with an electric motor on ebay -1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 Ford Truck Wiper Motor, Switch etc F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 F6 | eBay
Remi

Old 03-11-2013, 08:48 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,831 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
I obtained a complete dual original wiper set up so I'll go with a stock dual configuration. I disassembled cleaned and lubricate my original motor and it now works great. Very strong throughout all speed and range. I will set it up with a reservoir.
Thanks for all replies and suggestions.
Glad to hear it. When I bought my dual wiper set up it came with a vacuum motor. My plan was to convert it to electric but I guess I should test the vacuum motor and see if it works. If it does it would be easier to just bolt it in (its not like it rains out here anyway)

Bobby

Old 03-11-2013, 09:09 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
I am lucky. My Grandpa bought a standard cab F100 in 1954. It was a plain Jane... driver side sunvisor only, no interior dome light, etc. But the trucks from 53 on up came with 2 wipers standard, and my plain Jane truck came with the optional electric wipers.... don't know why, just lucky I guess. I didn't have to worry bout the wipers slowing down as I was climbing a hill or accelerating....

Old 03-15-2013, 07:49 PM
#1spudman
Freshman User
wipers for 1951 ford f3

im new to this site and need help with wiring of the wiper motor, and the wiper switch for a dubl side wiper that i picked up at the pick apart holehawgg was showing one in one of his thread i need what wire go's were
thanks to all new here #1spudman

Old 03-15-2013, 10:31 PM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ponied up for the expensive aftermarket and let me tell you NO GO. You have to do some modification to the kit (at least the one dennis carpenter makes and sells, MACS carries) - they put it together non-interference with itself, which causes interference with both vents.

I ended up turning one vent around and shortening the standoff tube to 1/2" (so my heater hose is almost bent 90 immediately and going over the top of the glove box now).

Turning their kit linkage upside down made it even worse interference with itself, but got it to clear the other heater hose. so upside down it went, and then I had to modify the linkage in the kit to not hit itself or the other vent. It was way tooo much modification considering what I had to pony up.

It's cheaply made parts and pieces with a good motor and a cheap switch - overall I give the aftermarket kit a glaring 2 thumbs down. I hacked out my radio brackets first then discovered the other issues and wished I could have put the radio brackets back.

I'll add this, the windshield is so close to straight up and down that rain just pours off it, you don't really need wipers much.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:33 PM
Oz52F1
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Brittish Cable Driven (Mini??) wipers:

(Don't be confused by the fact that I am RHD!!!!!)

Old 06-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As I continue to work on my brothers 50 f1 it appears that although it has a great working wiper motor with both sides of wiper arms, the link to connect to the passenger side arm is missing. I mean the above mentioned link that would clear bracket, not the link to the pivot. Is none of this available from parts suppliers? Ebay the best source?

Quick Reply: Right Side Wiper on a 1949 F Series?