2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.4L 3V with miss, rough idle and codes P0340, P0344, P0345, and P0349

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 05:00 PM
lindboep
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4L 3V with miss, rough idle and codes P0340, P0344, P0345, and P0349

I recently purchased a Ford pickup. I bought a 2004 F-150 with the 5.4L 3V engine. I have only driven it for about 300 miles so far and am having problems. The engine has 200,000 miles on it. I have read several posts on here about the cam phasers which I believe that I may have some issues with. The engine will run good when cold, on the road, etc. The engine does have a slight ticking after it warms up (cam phasers?). When I come to a stop after the engine is operating temperature, the engine will start to miss and shudder and all 4 above codes come active and are also pending (8 codes in total). All 4 codes are logged at the same time. I have replaced both cam position sensors, both sensor ends and terminals for cam position sensors, checked wiring around rear of engine (does not appear to be rubbed through), all plugs were replaced, and all COP boots are good. Is there anything that can cause these codes that may not be the actual cam position sensors, ie. VTC, COPs, cam phasers? Anyone know what pins the cam position sensors come to on the ECU (so I can ohm the entire wire harness)?

Also, if the engine is missing with the codes active and I rev the engine up it will come back to idle and run great. The engine never dies out, just runs horribly. I have also unplugged each sensor with the engine running which has no effect on the way it runs.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:16 AM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Ford has updated the VCT solenoids for this problem. The part number is 8L3Z-6M280-B. It could also be caused by low oil pressure to the phasers or worn crankshaft thrust bearings. Check the crank endplay and hot oil pressure. If both are good the the new VCT solenoids should fix it.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Nalb1221
Junior User
This happened to my 04 5.4l screw 105,000 on it. I disconnected the battery to install a pie aux adapter then when I started it it kept stalling and idling horribly. So I bought some throttle body cleaner and mass airflow sensor cleaner took it all apart cleaned them and put it all back together and it runs great now. Disconnecting the battery for 10 mins or more resets the computer and it needs to relearn but if the throttle body and mass airflow sensor have never been cleaned that is most likely the culprit. If you this its easy as hell took me 20mins all together remember to disconnect the negative on your battery to reset the computer so it can learn with everything clean.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:50 PM
lindboep
Junior User
Originally Posted by Nalb1221
This happened to my 04 5.4l screw 105,000 on it. I disconnected the battery to install a pie aux adapter then when I started it it kept stalling and idling horribly. So I bought some throttle body cleaner and mass airflow sensor cleaner took it all apart cleaned them and put it all back
together and it runs great now. Disconnecting the battery for 10 mins or more resets the computer and it needs to relearn but if the throttle body and mass airflow sensor have never been cleaned that is most likely the culprit. If you this its easy as hell took me 20mins all together remember to disconnect the negative on your battery to reset the computer so it can learn with everything clean.

When it was warm or cold?

Old 03-06-2013, 06:55 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
I have replaced VCT solenoids to fix this problem . I also just heard from a reman. rep . He claims they are seeing a lot of oil pump issues . Just enough pressure loss to cause running and noise issues . Not low enough oil pressure to turn on lights or show on the gauge . But enough to cause issues . I want to look into that further . It would explain a lot if true .

Old 03-06-2013, 07:12 PM
lindboep
Junior User
Originally Posted by JWC 3
I have replaced VCT solenoids to fix this problem . I also just heard from a reman. rep . He claims they are seeing a lot of oil pump issues . Just enough pressure loss to cause running and noise issues . Not low enough oil pressure to turn on lights or show on the gauge . But enough to cause issues . I want to look into that further . It would explain a lot if true .
Ok si what should I do first. Also where are the vct solenoids located? And how many of them? How do I check the oil pressure.....

Thanks

Old 03-06-2013, 07:22 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
The VCT sol's are at the front of the valve covers . They stick straight through the top . Try unplugging them , then drive it with them unplugged . If it runs better , solenoids will prob. fix it . Also . make sure not to use too thick of an oil . It will interfere with the VCT operation . And change it properly .To ck oil press , you need a gauge , take out sending unit , test from there . I'm not leaning towards low oil press . I just heard that from a national rep .

Old 03-06-2013, 07:26 PM
lindboep
Junior User
The VCT sol's are at the front of the valve covers . They stick straight through the top . Try unplugging them , then drive it with them unplugged . If it runs better , solenoids will have prob. fix it . Also . make sure not to use too thick of an oil . It will interfere with the VCT operation . And change it properly .To ck oil press , you need a gauge , take out sending unit , test from there . I'm not leaning towards low oil press . I just heard that from a national rep .
Ok so front of valve covers. What do they look like? And all I know is my engine sounds like it's about yo throw a rod or something when it idles sounds terrible!

Old 03-06-2013, 07:42 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by lindboep
Ok so front of valve covers. What do they look like? And all I know is my engine sounds like it's about yo throw a rod or something when it idles sounds terrible!
If it sounds THAT bad , we may be beating a dead horse . But , the solenoids stick out of the valve cover , towards the front . Almost full front . They are recessed into the vc and have a standard looking FOMOCO electrical plug . They are sealed at the valve cover with a standard looking seal . They bolt down to the head inside the valve cover . Sorry I can not post a picture .

Old 03-06-2013, 08:23 PM
lindboep
Junior User
If it sounds THAT bad , we may be beating a dead horse . But , the solenoids stick out of the valve cover , towards the front . Almost full front . They are recessed into the vc and have a standard looking FOMOCO electrical plug . They are sealed at the valve cover with a standard looking seal . They bolt down to the head inside the valve cover . Sorry I can not post a picture .
It runs like new once it's over 1900rpm...So the engine is good. Just couldn't figure out why it would do this when it was warm....Will try unplugging the VCT selonoid and see what happens. Will post results..
Thanks

Old 03-06-2013, 08:43 PM
lindboep
Junior User

Ok, so I just unplugged them. Its cold but when I started it, it ran weird and like backfired and stuff. I'll get it warm tomorrow and see what it does...It only does it after youve been driving about 30-45 mins

Old 03-06-2013, 08:44 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Good luck ! One on each bank by the way .

Old 03-06-2013, 09:09 PM
lindboep
Junior User
forgot to metion got these codes earlier today....

PO345
PO174
PO171
PO012
PO320

Old 03-06-2013, 09:29 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
If I looked at them right .171 , 174 = lean bank 1 and 2 . P0012 = cam 1 over retard bank 1 . 320 = engine spd malf . 345 = ckp sens malf. I am leaning towards solenoids or phasers . Try solenoids first . IMHO .

Old 03-06-2013, 09:32 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by lindboep
Ok, so I just unplugged them. Its cold but when I started it, it ran weird and like backfired and stuff. I'll get it warm tomorrow and see what it does...It only does it after youve been driving about 30-45 mins
You do have the proper oil , and amount .I suspect you do , but I had to ask .

Quick Reply: 5.4L 3V with miss, rough idle and codes P0340, P0344, P0345, and P0349