Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9 Seater Ex and Sound Proofing Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:38 AM
Atc210
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ya, I had a about the same, just a few tiles in the front and second rows, nothing on the long runs in the 3rd row seat area. Doors same deal as yours. I think the Ex has a sound barrier on the firewall that the trucks dont have though.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:49 AM
clintusaf
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, ive actually read about super duty owners replacing thiers with excursion firewall inserts. Im wondering if the xl, and xlt's have the same amount as the lariat.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:42 AM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Just an FYI, when i bought (new) our Ex's and the SD, i took them to Zebart and had them rust proofed and under coated and it made a huge difference in the cab sound, it is amazing when you drive a vehicle to have it done and three hours later drive home and notice a difference!

Also subscribing.

PS. I also did the drivers seat cushion in the 2000 Ex (225'xxx miles) two weeks ago, what a difference. For anyone thinking of this it is well worth it!

Old 05-18-2013, 08:15 AM
clintusaf
Elder User
When you guys do the seat cushions, where are getting the foam from?

Old 05-18-2013, 08:41 AM
Atc210
Senior User
I got mine from ford, rumor has it that they are not making the cushions any more. So they are getting hard to find. I think the seatshop.com sold them also but even they are having a hard time getting them. I think I paid $80 for mine.

I agree, made a big difference in the comfort of the front seat. Seems to hold you in a lot better.

Edit: I also recommend getting some hog nose pliers if you do it. Well worth the money and makes the job much easier.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:31 AM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by clintusaf
When you guys do the seat cushions, where are getting the foam from?
I ordered mine from touslyford.com which is now Nations Ford, just the name sounds bad to me! JMO

Old 06-25-2013, 11:44 PM
clintusaf
Elder User
Originally Posted by Atc210
Guess I didn't really think about the roof being a big contributor to sound in the Ex. But I can see that after taking a look under the headliner. There is not much up there but metal flapping around in the wind. lol

ClintUSAF... sounds like you got a few long weekends planned out! lol Cant wait to see your results with a completed job. Mine is only about 1/2 done and I still noticed a difference. If you have a smarty phone download the decibel meter and take some before and after tests.
And it begins!!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...build-log.html

Old 06-25-2013, 11:51 PM
clintusaf
Elder User
Originally Posted by Atc210
I added it for the same reason, so my wife is not so fare away. lol Ebay is the best place I have found for them. Any were from $200 - $500. The link is Vehicle Sound Deadening Materials for Noise Reduction, and Thermal Insulation. Call 800 679-8511. | Second Skin Audio, Made in the USA. for the sound deader. Doing the floor did make a little bit of a difference, adding the doors and hood should make a pretty noticeable difference. I feels like the inside of a studio a little bit inside now and you can hear voices a lot easier. But I didn't notice a difference with my phones db meter, still sitting at 80 db. But I can really tell were the diesel is now that all that sound deader is there. lol The rest of my order should be here Thursday, so hoping to get the doors and hood done this weekend.
Hey, I'm looking at getting a jump seat to replace my console as well. My question is, if I find someone willing to trade me their center seat for my console, can I easily remove the armrest brackets from my seats so the person I'm trading can install them onto their seats?

Old 06-26-2013, 07:25 AM
Atc210
Senior User
You can remove the arm reset very easily. There is just one bolt on each one holding them on. The only thing is that the person trying to use them will have to remove the seat cover and shade tree mechanic a stud of some type to hold the arm rest in the correct position. The pictures I posted of the seat will show the location of the stud. The location of the bolt you need to remove is under the fabric by the hing in the back. Just peel it up and you see it.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:35 AM
clintusaf
Elder User
Ok. Can you remove the entire bracket from the seat?

Old 06-26-2013, 07:49 AM
Atc210
Senior User
By bracket do you mean the section with the stud attached to it? If so the answer is NO, you will have to cut the stud off your seat in-order to make the center seat lift open. The person adding the arm rest will have to fab up the stud section and add to there seat. If the interior colors are the same you could always just swap out the front seat sections in the trucks.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:35 AM
clintusaf
Elder User
Ok. That answers my question. I have an ad on craigslist and have had many people contact me interested in trading, but when they notice that they can't add the armrests, they lose interest. This is good info to know in case someone else is interested. I'm not willing to give up my front seats as they were recovered a few years back with the newer stitch pattern and are still in excellent condition.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:15 PM
clintusaf
Elder User
I got me a nice leather center jumpseat today on craigslist in great condition for $100. Score!!!

Old 06-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Atc210
Senior User
Thats 300 dollars cheaper then the one I got. Congrats.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:19 PM
Atc210
Senior User
Resurrecting my old thread...finishing the rest of my sound dreading project and adding some sound upgrades. What should I be inspecting upgrading while the interior is gutted. Found it’s a lot easier to fix that leaking rear washer hose with the headliner out. If anyone wants some close up pictures of a certain area let me know.

This is what the inside looks like as of now.

Quick Reply: 9 Seater Ex and Sound Proofing Project