Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Optima Red Tops - Observation & Curiosity

Old 03-05-2013, 10:02 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Optima Red Tops - Observation & Curiosity

OBSERVATION

Well, to the day, my two Optima Red Tops made it exactly 5 years before being retired and replaced with a new pair of Reds. All-in-all, I'm pretty satisfied with the 5-year lifespan, especially since the warranty was only for 3 years. Before replacing the batteries Sunday evening, the truck had been acting tired when cold starting for about 18 months or so, but had gotten progressively worse over the past several weeks. Given the age of the batteries, I chose to simply purchase and replace without hassling with testing because the truck would start a little draggy above 40°F, but acceptably well when above 50°F or 60°F. Now she starts like I remember from before the batteries began getting tired, and I've fallen in love with my truck all over again.

You gotta be careful before you buy these Red Tops, though, because I saw prices as high as $229 each. The old batteries were purchased for $140 at Sam's Club five years ago, and I recently saw them for the same price on eBay, but I decided to go with an online deal at StreetSideAuto.com that listed the price at $151.28 each with free shipping just because of feeling more comfortable in dealing with what I verified as an actual company. As I was making the purchase, though, I ran across a $20 coupon and actually ended up getting them for $141 each, still with free shipping. Right after I checked out, I saw that there is now a $30 coupon available, so you guys could even beat the price I just paid and get a really good deal.

Anyway...

CURIOSITY

... I'm just wondering if any of you other Red Top owners have gotten more than 5 years out of your batteries (or perhaps even less than 5 years). Let's hear your stories...

Old 03-05-2013, 11:24 AM
MTalley
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Not entirely related, but I put a yellow top in an Xterra back in 2004. When I replaced that truck in 2005 with another Xterra, I took the battery with me to that truck. I traded that truck in on my F350 in 2011. The yellow top was still starting that truck well, but not as good as new. I was impressed that I got 7 years out of it.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:19 PM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We used to have a Jeep diesel that came from the factory with a redtop. It was MY 05 and battery died late summer 09, so if it went into service mid-04 that would be 5 year life.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:20 PM
AMG-SM
Senior User
I've had a red top in my street car for about 6 years now. Still working well. Longest lasting battery I've ever owned in 20 years of car ownership.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:27 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Sounds like I'm at least in the pack, then. Good to know, especially since I'm now committed to (and enjoying) my second set of reds.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
While the CCA is very important, I look hard at the "Ah". Optima is Bacos, I want bacon. That's just me.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:37 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought a set of red top's in 04 that made it to 09. Then I replaced them with Yellow tops, still going strong.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:54 PM
pin8246
Elder User
This vehicles is the only vehicle I have not had the red top in, but thats simply because I havent had to replace the batteries yet. All my other vehicles in the past have had them. One in particular was my 02 WRX Wagon, which was pretty much built for show and go. For example, 5 screens, playstation 2, all Bazooka door speakers (which was 6), 5 Bazooka liquid cooled amps (there was a motor running the liquid through them), 3 12's, and that doesnt include all the gauges, and motor work. The single red top went in pretty much when I bought it in 02, and when I sold it in 06 I had yet to replace it. The guys I sold it to was a friend, or at least was for about a year after, and as far as I know he didnt replace it while we were still friends. So at least 5 years on that setup.

I find them very reliable, and when these go in this truck, thats what will go in.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:29 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Tugly
While the CCA is very important, I look hard at the "Ah". Optima is Bacos, I want bacon. That's just me.

So, how much difference do you see between the Optima's and the batteries you run? I have a hard time even finding Ah data on a lot of batteries. The Group 34 Red Top is rated with a capacity of 50 Ah... can't find the info on the DLG's, Interstates, but the DieHard Platinum Group 65 is rated at 65 Ah... what batteries are you running and what is their rating?

Also, what do you consider to be too low of an Ah rating for our truck batteries?

Old 03-05-2013, 07:04 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Our trucks should have at least 850 cca red tops are only 800 cca yellow tops are even lower.... I'm on my second set of red tops in 2 1/2 years.... I won't buy another set for my truck. Autozone said nope after this set said see ya... And optima pretty much told me to get bent!

I will say this. I have a yellow top in my jetta and I love the thing

Old 03-05-2013, 07:37 PM
VegasFordSD
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JOHN2001
Our trucks should have at least 850 cca red tops are only 800 cca yellow tops are even lower.... I'm on my second set of red tops in 2 1/2 years.... I won't buy another set for my truck. Autozone said nope after this set said see ya... And optima pretty much told me to get bent!

I will say this. I have a yellow top in my jetta and I love the thing
I went through a similar ordeal... lost the first set of red tops after a year, second set went in less time (although that set got killed and recharged a bunch of times) then switched to yellows... lasted me about 2 years. Switched to Interstates this last time around... held on strong for about a year and a half, one tested bad just recently... no hassle, both swapped out for FREE!. 2 brand new Interstates in it now and this thing cranks like a champ... I always felt like the Optimas just couldn't keep up.

I had a real good friend and offroad shop owner (who carries and runs Optimas btw) tell me " unless you plan on flipping your truck upside down or rolling it down a hill...don't waste your time or money on Optimas".

edit: BTW I start and stop my truck a lot! I also run subs and amps. My truck is our DJ equipment when we hit Pismo

Old 03-05-2013, 07:47 PM
truck7575
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i sold my 93 accord to my brother and i got it in 2003, at that time i installed a optima red top. he replaced it in 2010. They are very good batteries, but like everything else they arent designed for what diesel can put them through, I wonder if a deep cycle optima would fair better than the red or yellow top

Old 03-05-2013, 08:44 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got two years & one month on a optima red top in 08 Altima,no more for me.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:33 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Eckerle
i sold my 93 accord to my brother and i got it in 2003, at that time i installed a optima red top. he replaced it in 2010. They are very good batteries, but like everything else they arent designed for what diesel can put them through, I wonder if a deep cycle optima would fair better than the red or yellow top
If I recall correctly yellow top is a deep cycle. Which has lower cca than the red top. That's how it is on my jetta anyways yellow top deep cycle

Old 03-05-2013, 09:41 PM
VegasFordSD
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JOHN2001
If I recall correctly yellow top is a deep cycle. Which has lower cca than the red top. That's how it is on my jetta anyways yellow top deep cycle
Correct...the Yellow tops are deep cycle an the red are more CCA's for "hotter" starts. I'm thinking he was referring to e blue top Marine optimas, which are even deeper cycle and "longer lasting" than the yellow. I still don't think Optima has what is demanded by our trucks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Optima Red Tops - Observation & Curiosity