Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Radio Frequency Interference (RFI)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:32 AM
bly8397
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio Frequency Interference (RFI)

Been having a wierd issue lately with the CB Radio in my truck. Now, when I key the mic to talk, it kills my engine. If I key it real quick the engine will just sputter for a second or two. The Radio is wired to the Cigar Lighter Fuse. I've had the CB Radio turned off for a few weeks now. A couple of weeks ago I saw a fire engine coming up from behind so I pulled over on the side of the road to let it pass. As it passed my truck, the engine sputtered for a few seconds. I kept an eye on it but it didn't do it again so I figured all was well. Then yesterday I was stopped at a traffic light, and a cop was turning into the lane next to me. As the cop drove by me the engine died, just as if I had keyed the mic on the CB. A friend of mine said that I'm having an issue with RFI. The RFI is messing with the computer. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? How can I fix it? I've been searching but haven't found any solutions. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:42 AM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
Are you running a chip of any kind?

I had similar issues from my HID headlights. The RF spike was shutting off my truck - or making it stumble. I added two Ferrite split bead filters to the chip wire. So far so good.

Also, I think we had a similar thread a few weeks back with someone having issues with a local radio tower IIRC....

Old 03-05-2013, 07:46 AM
bly8397
Senior User
Originally Posted by grec-o-face
Are you running a chip of any kind?

I had similar issues from my HID headlights. The RF spike was shutting off my truck - or making it stumble. I added two Ferrite split bead filters to the chip wire. So far so good.

Also, I think we had a similar thread a few weeks back with someone having issues with a local radio tower IIRC....
No chip. And this started just all of the sudden. One day I heard someone needing a mic check, went to key mic and it just died. It been driving me crazy.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:48 AM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
With the issue coming out of nowhere, I'd be suspect of a failed ground connection. I'd start checking the wiring for the CPS, and IPR solenoid. Either of those could cause the truck to shut off.
Also, I'd look at the batteries and PCM, just an overall study of the ground wires/connections.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:54 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The cigarette lighter and the OBD port are on the same fuse...maybe disconnect the wire to the cb and connect it to the power port and see if it fixes the problem. It sure is weird that it worked for a long time then out-of-the-blue, it kills the truck .

Old 03-05-2013, 03:37 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
what type radio, and is it stock or is it turned up? are you running a linear and bumped the power up?
the only time i ever had any problems with a CB interfering with the truck was when i was running high power.
anything over 250 watts on my mack would shut down the engine because if interference with the computer.
i do not run anything over 100 watts now on anything.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:05 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With the issue coming out of nowhere, I'd be suspect of a failed ground connection. I'd start checking the wiring for the CPS, and IPR solenoid. Either of those could cause the truck to shut off.
Also, I'd look at the batteries and PCM, just an overall study of the ground wires/connections.
Hmm. I was thinking cps also, if one of the aftermarket ones.
See if it dies with the wipers on?

Old 05-14-2013, 05:26 PM
mtmc
New User
I am have the same exact issue with my 2002. I thought it was mechanical but considering it ONLY happens in the same exact place in front of the same tower everyday, it's definetely some sort of interferrance. I can't even stop within a 100 yard radius of the tower without it killing my 7.3 completely. Hate that your having the same issue but glad I'm not the only one.

Here is my thread over on another diesel forum. See if the symptoms are similar to yours.

Consistent Flutter/Stutter Compressor Surge at 60 MPH? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Also check out the last 2 pages of this thread

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...need-help.html

Old 08-27-2013, 07:25 PM
mtmc
New User
Just a quick update. I saw on facebook where a guy was having problems with a CB radio causing interference. Someone suggested unplugging the ICP sensor and trying it. So I figured I'd try it to see if it fixed my radio tower interference problem. It worked! Plugged in, the truck spit and sputtered and even shut off if I was close enough to the tower. Unplugged I had no problems what so ever. I noticed it had a new ICP installed when I got my truck so I assume the previous owner used a cheapo parts store ICP. I'm going to get an ICP from the Ford Dealership and hopefully it will take care of it for good.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:47 PM
bly8397
Senior User
Great info there. My issue ended up being a cheap coax.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:11 AM
bly8397
Senior User
Replaced the coax with some high quality and also the antenna. Still kills the engine. Unplugged the ICP sensor, everything works fine. Apparently my ICP sensor is one of the cheaper ones that causes this issue. Going to order a new one soon. Should I go with an International part or Ford part?

Old 10-21-2013, 09:18 AM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bly8397
Replaced the coax with some high quality and also the antenna. Still kills the engine. Unplugged the ICP sensor, everything works fine. Apparently my ICP sensor is one of the cheaper ones that causes this issue. Going to order a new one soon. Should I go with an International part or Ford part?
I think either will be ok, but you might want to search around and see what others prefer.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:33 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think either will be ok, but you might want to search around and see what others prefer.
Check with Clay (RR), he has Motorcraft at good prices.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:54 AM
mtmc
New User
A new OEM ICP from Ford/International alleviated the problem. So if anyone is experiencing any kind of radio or frequency interferrance from CB's, towers, HID's, etc... Spend a little extra and get an OEM replacement ICP, its worth it.

Part Numbers:

Ford ICP = F6TZ-9F838-A
International ICP = 1807329C92

Old 03-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Jim's Towing
New User
We have been having the same issue with our Ford F450 Tow truck around power plants, every time we passed them. We decided to start pulling sensors to see if we could solve the issue, then drove past the plant. Our winning result was unplugging the ICP sensor, which was fairly new, but not from Ford. When we unplugged it and drove past, the problem went away. We ordered a new ICP from the Ford Dealership, installed it, drove past again, and have not had a problem with it since! Problem solved! Replace your ICP sensor, and don't cheap out, you must get it from Ford.