1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Changing Door Glass

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 06:54 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changing Door Glass

I got all the parts I think I need to to chnage the door glass and felt for both doors this weekend. Anybody got any tips or tricks they want to share? Video? Pictures?

Old 02-27-2013, 10:21 PM
mtdorf
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the same boat...never did like this job always talked someone else into doing it lol. Goo.d luck

Old 02-28-2013, 12:40 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Like both of you, I'm right there. Every time I do this I swear it will be the last. It's areally, really horrible job.....

Old 02-28-2013, 08:08 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 610 Likes on 547 Posts
To me, it's the hardest job there is to restoring a truck! Glad it only has two doors! My tip would be to be patient and do not force anything where it dosen't want to go. When you finally get everthing aligned it will all be great and you will be glad to have it behind you!

Old 03-01-2013, 06:05 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
The Dennis Carpenter Catalog has step by step instructions on how to do it. I found them helpful. If you don't have a copy, you can go to his website and download the current one. Instructions start on page 128 of the new catalog.

Don't let these guys scare you, it is not that hard, just don't get in a hurry.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:55 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Thanks Walston. I will take a good look before I dive in. I'm betting the pros have a few tricks. They usually do. I never understood why no car/truck manfacturer ever made a fully removeable inner door skin. Or at least a couple of large, well placed access panels.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:32 AM
FJones8668
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't think this was too bad of a job... Maybe I'm confused. Did you end up with the full kit? Like Walston said, I snagged one of the LMC complete kits and all of the parts went in without issue except that I got the window lift channel on backwards the first time. Seems like the design is backwards to me! Then again I am left-handed! Bending the door glass run can be a pain. Once again like Walston said, don't get in a hurry. At the bottom end of the door glass run there is a metal tang that holds the bottom to the door. Make sure that gets over the top of the felt channel and smashed down. With the plastic roller, white assembly grease is your friend.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Originally Posted by Walston
The Dennis Carpenter Catalog has step by step instructions on how to do it. I found them helpful. If you don't have a copy, you can go to his website and download the current one. Instructions start on page 128 of the new catalog.

Don't let these guys scare you, it is not that hard, just don't get in a hurry.

I'm gonna try it tomorrow thanks for the info.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:43 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
At 60 years old in May, I have a bit of a hard time working my hands in tight places and My vision isn't what it used to be. I can still change a tire on a split rim or change out a set of leaf springs, It's just the arthritic fingers don't contort like they used to. Oh, and if I could have kept my fingers out of the table saw over the years, I might still have some feeling in my fingertips. Sorry if you just ate

Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2013, 09:03 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 610 Likes on 547 Posts
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
At 60 years old in May, I have a bit of a hard time working my hands in tight places and My vision isn't what it used to be. I can still change a tire on a split rim or change out a set of leaf springs, It's just the arthritic fingers don't contort like they used to. Oh, and if I could have kept my fingers out of the table saw over the years, I might still have some feeling in my fingertips. Sorry if you just ate
They closed them up pretty good there. I remember once while still a kid at home I caught mine on the saw and my dad felt sorry for me so he was finishing the job for me and cut his fingers worse! What true fatherly love!

Old 03-03-2013, 12:21 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
'Daddys don't just love their children every now and then, it's a love without end, amen'. Randy Travis, 1992. Now back to our regulary scheduled feature, the door glass. I'm guessing they are the same piece, right or left side, correct?

Old 03-03-2013, 06:37 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
'Daddys don't just love their children every now and then, it's a love without end, amen'. Randy Travis, 1992. Now back to our regulary scheduled feature, the door glass. I'm guessing they are the same piece, right or left side, correct?
Yes. Flat glass, no difference side to side. The hardware is side specific.

Hope you have a quick recovery. Flesh doesn't stop blades too well.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:03 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Pic was from about 4 years ago. Just showing why I have no feeling in some of my fingertips. You should have seen some of the other ones!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:28 AM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Gary I like your taste in music
Daddys don't just love their children every now and then, it's a love without end, amen'
But George is the man!
It is pictures like the one you shared above that pop in my head while in the shop. So far so good!

Old 03-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Well Glass and new felt is in. Not that bad to do it. Just gotta have patients.

Quick Reply: Changing Door Glass