twin turbos on a 79 f150 with a 472? please help!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:10 PM
bbf ford
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
twin turbos on a 79 f150 with a 472? please help!

twin turbos on a 79 f150 with a 472
<hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225); background-color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" SIZE="1"><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
has anyone done twins on a big block in a 79 f150? if so can i get some info and pics? also if there is a kit for sale can i get a manufacturer name and where to find it. any info on a single turbo setup would also be helpful. please help!!!

Old 03-04-2013, 08:01 AM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You probably won't find anybody with experience in your specific setup. A lot of guys come on here and dream of a TT 460 (myself included), but few have the time, know-how, and money to pull it off.

The best advice I have for you is to check out this Ford Fairmont. It's one of the few successful turbo 460 builds documented on the internet.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:46 AM
MikePacey
Elder User
Your pretty vague on the info you've given. What the app going to be for? street? strip?
what kind of power levels are you looking it? Can your bottom end handle it?

Basically the general idea for setting up a turbo is simple. In a single you'll need the pipe of the manifold or header to go into a Y then come back into the turbo flange. You can also do a under the truck mounting set up. Yes it's easier to set up, but with the pressure losses you get from the turbo to the intercooler sucks. Also you need to drill and tap you oil pan for a fitting to run a oil return line to. Pressure line is simple enough to set up.

Make sure to look over the compressor maps, A/R size, turbine size, internal or external waste gate (boost control basicly), BOV you'll need a blow through set up on your carb. Smaller twins would take less time to spool but a single would be more effciant.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:38 PM
bbf ford
Junior User
79 f150 long box, 4x4, 4" lift, 35's, 472 bbf. Looking for 600 to 700 HP.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:47 AM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Where in the RPM band are you looking for the power? If you're looking for higher RPM power for racing, mudding, etc you'll probably want to build the power upwards of 5-6000 RPM. 6-700 HP is getting up there in power. You can make that power naturally aspirated but it will require race fuel. A turbo setup is going to require premium or possibly race fuel, a good intercooler setup, and possibly water/methanol injection to keep things under control.

If you bring your requirements down to 500 HP or so, you can pretty easily make that power naturally aspirated and forgo the headache a turbo install requires.

460 Horsepower Chart (revised 1/24/09) - 460 Ford Forum

If you're set on turboing, you need to do some research. With a few more specifics on your intended use (abuse) and requirements, people here may begin helping you sort out this system.

What is the RPM band you want the power to be produced in; you need to know the engine's air flow requirements at that RPM to calculate the correct turbo compressor and turbine sizes.

Where you don't want boost (cruising RPM) to keep things tame and retain some fuel mileage, so you need to have gearing, tires, and transmission sorted out.

What is your intended use, long pulls (towing or hills), or short bursts (drag racing), etc? You'll need to determine it's intended use to help ensure the engine will stay cool and that you don't have issues with detonation or ping.

Do you want single or twin? Do you have room to package everything?

Are you going to use an intercooler? water/methanol injection? both? Either or both may be required depending on RPM, fuel octane, outside air temps, and compressor efficiency to ensure safe operation.

Carb or EFI? If carb, draw through or blow through?

Old 03-20-2013, 01:17 PM
bbf ford
Junior User
Street use but not a daily driver with the occasional race. Want to keep rpm 4500-5500. Single Turbo (thinking a 76mm). Going to use an intercooler. I was also told with my 472 setup I can run 6-700 HP with a single 76mm Turbo at 5000 rpm is this true?

Old 03-20-2013, 01:18 PM
bbf ford
Junior User
Also I want to use a blow thru carb

Old 03-20-2013, 05:39 PM
MikePacey
Elder User
Originally Posted by bbf ford
Street use but not a daily driver with the occasional race. Want to keep rpm 4500-5500. Single Turbo (thinking a 76mm). Going to use an intercooler. I was also told with my 472 setup I can run 6-700 HP with a single 76mm Turbo at 5000 rpm is this true?

Well I'm running a 9 second GN with a 70mm turbo putting 800horse down.

But with the power levels your talking your going to have a lot of work to do to the driveline to beef it up. And actually 500-600 horse is easy to acieve on the street with a N/A big block if you know what your doing. Dropping the money your looking at dropping into that kind of power levels it would be cheaper and have better power gains going aftermarket on your heads. There is some awesome aftermarket heads out there. Look at the BlueThunder head and the Pro-Filer 205 head. The 205 flows over 520cfm as cast.

Your going to need a roller cam set up. No point in screwing with flat tappet on something like this. Careful planning goes a long way.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:45 PM
bbf ford
Junior User
I just had the motor built. It has d3ve a2a heads, edlbrock rpm performer air gap intake, hydraulic flat tappet cam (its not a real big cam). It does have roller rockers. If possible I want to still run 91. And a cam size would be helpful. Also what compression would I have?

Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 PM
MikePacey
Elder User
Originally Posted by bbf ford
I just had the motor built. It has d3ve a2a heads, edlbrock rpm performer air gap intake, hydraulic flat tappet cam (its not a real big cam). It does have roller rockers. If possible I want to still run 91. And a cam size would be helpful. Also what compression would I have?

The question on you compression is like asking how high is high. There's alot that comes into effect to figuring out compression ratio. Do you know if you have dish, dome, or flat tops? What is the dome cc on your pistons? I would also need your stroke, bore size, head gasket compressed thickness, piston to deck clearance, head cc (if they have been decked if not then they are 95-97cc). For example say you have 9 to 1 engine running 27 psi your looking at about 18 to 1 compression ratio under boost.

You engine isn't really the optimal setup for what your wanting to do. But it still could be done. In your case a well matched single would be more benifical. The fuel you end up having to run is going to depend on your boost level. The higher it is the higher your final compression would end up being. You want a lower compression ratio with any kind of boosted application. Also your wanting to peak around 5 grand so you'll want something to spool fast.

You cam is going to be a big restriction in a turbo'd set up. You would need to get a turbo/blower grind to really open her up. If it was me and you were just trying to do something cheap and effiecent without going crazy and building your motor I would get a turbo of a 7.3 powerstroke and drop it on. Not saying it's ideal but it would work.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:08 PM
bbf ford
Junior User
You mentioned the heads and cam. I have 472 with flat tops. The block was decked but not much. Roller rockers and edlebrock rpm performer air gap intake and a Holley 750. The heads and cam package sound like a good way to go. What would you suggest for the heads and what cam? Also what kind for HP could I get

Old 03-20-2013, 10:18 PM
MikePacey
Elder User
On head reccomendation it would come down to what your budget would be. Keep in mind that your looking at around 1,400-2,100 for a set of good aftermarket heads.