1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Steering column for AOD in 53-54-55 F100?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 03:11 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering column for AOD in 53-54-55 F100?

Need some help guys -

What steering column are you using with an AOD tranny in your 53/4/5 F100 ?

I installed a GM 4 spd auto column in my truck about 4 years ago. Just had the truck in for wiring and linkage hook up last fall and the column will not work with my AOD.

I could not get the transmission linkage (stainless steel rod affair from Lokar) to work with my 1990 AOD. Gave up and bought a cable actuated affair (also from Lokar, as I recall) but never go around to hooking it. Since my truck was going in to a professional Rod Shop to be wired ( I hate wiring), I asked them to sort out the linkage for me.

They were unsuccessful. They tell me the spacing on the detents on the column shifter will not line up with the AOD spacing. They reccommended I use a later model Impala or other GM product.

So:

I need a -
- 2 inch diameter column
- with column shifter
- ignition key on the column
- prefer tilt but not critical
- 30 to 32 inches long
- prefer GM for the wiring as my wiring harness is based on the GM wiring configuration
- with the column installed, the linkage pawl/arm/thing-a-ma-jig needs to face down.
-prefer GM for the coloumn to Chryselr steering box joint already in place.
- Already have an expensive steering wheel that I can't return which fits my current, useless GM column.

I can live without acually manually shifting up through the gears. That is, just putting it in the highest drive gear.

So, what are you guys with 53-54-55 F100s with an AOD using for a steering column?

Thanks,

Old 03-04-2013, 06:02 AM
mt54
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used a column out a 88 F150 with my aod.. but...its alot of fab work.. to cover the column. and had to build a shift linkage for it.. not the easy way.. but its all I got

Old 03-04-2013, 08:26 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
I used one from a 1983 Ford Econoline Van that had OD. I had a friend remove the ignition switch and fill the spot where it was. This column ran I believe from 81ish - 90.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:15 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
bump, bump, bump

Old 03-05-2013, 08:49 AM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Can you remove the detents in the column you currently have? Just keep the park detent and rely on the transmission detents.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:53 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
You would be much better off to adjust your linkage to match rather than throwing out the steering column. The length of the arms on the linkage determine the travel at the connection point. For instance...a 3 inch long arm when rotated 10 degrees may only move a few tenths of an inch whereas a 6 inch long arm would move significantly farther. Find out how much travel you have on your column linkage and then see how you must adjust your trans linkage to match the detents. I bet that you will find that you can make this setup work with a little adjustment to the actuating arms.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:08 PM
rastiss
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pretty much like charlieled said. it's geometry, not rocket science. get another linkage that you can trim off so it's flat, clamp it to your existing tranny linkage with a pair of vicegrips, and then it's just trial and error until you get what you want. once you get it, either weld it or bolt it to your existing linkage. "should" be pretty simple.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:46 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,831 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Fergie,
Oh man, I'd rather fight wiring issues any day of the week than fight linkage issues. Oh sure, they look nice and simple but they always, end up being way more complicated than you had initially thought.
I don't think removing the detents from the GM column would work. The detents in the column are physcially part of the shift bowl of the column. I agree with Charlie, I think it comes down to a matter of geometry.
It would probably be easier to mess around with the cable style shifter. In that case I think you could fine tune the length of the shift lever on the transmission so that it would match the movements of the column (i'm not sure I'm explaining that very well)

The big differences in GM columns is the length of the column and the orientation of the shift linkage at the bottom of the column, and wether its a 3spd or 4spd.

The lenght of the column can be adjusted. Its not too horrible to cut one down to size...i think

Bobby

Old 03-05-2013, 03:50 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Ferguson,
We had the same problem with our AOD. The PRNDL on the column did not line up with what was happening at the trans. The first trans place I had it with gave me the same answer you received - not happening. (I really think they just didn't want to mess with it).

The second shop I was at for a different issue just fixed it in their spare time - no biggie. You might try for a second opinion from another shop.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1 351W/AOD

Old 03-05-2013, 04:15 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Up here in the boonies , good shops that will touch hot rods are few and far between. Cost me $250. to get my truck towed to the one that did the wiring and back and that was a deal from a freind who had a freind with a trailer. A tow truck woulda cost me $510.00 round trip.

at this point, the cheapest alternative would be for someone that has successfully used a GM column (with column shift and column ignition) with an AOD to speak up...

Or, can i fit my expensive GM steering wheel to a Ford column? Shouldn't be too hard to convert the wiring on a Ford column to the GM based harness...I wouldn't think...

Old 03-05-2013, 09:22 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Fergie,
If its an aftermarket steering wheel then you should be able to make it work. Might have to buy the adapter for the Ford column....I don't know

It would be nice if someone running a similar set up would pipe in, maybe provide measurements for the linkage etc

Bobby

Old 03-06-2013, 03:36 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
While I appreciate all the help and suggestions so far, I have to say, I'm surprised at the lack of people running AODs in this series of F100 or the lack of responses as to what column they are using.

Bobby - would it be difficult to modify the GM harness to work with a Ford column?

I'm actually a few weeks and feet of snow from wrestling with this, I want totry to work it out now to give me time to source another column if that's what I end up doing ( and am pre-disposed to).

Thanks,

Old 03-06-2013, 04:26 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
I wouldn't think it would be too tough adapting the Ford column to the GM harness. I have numerous GM turn signal switch schematics, they are fairly straightforward. I wouldn't imagine that the Ford columns would be all that different....just a matter of figuring out what wire color goes to what function.
I know there are guys here running the AOD tranny.

Heck, I'm running a GM column and a GM TH400 trans, both of them out of the same donor car. I had a heck of a time trying to make shift linkage work. I finally gimped out and found a deal on a B&M truck shifter. This wouldn't be a good selection for your situation as its not very sexy. I'd much rather have one of those swanky Lokar shifters but I'm too tight to fork over that kind of money.

Let me know and I'll try and help out with the wiring if I can
Bobby

Old 03-06-2013, 05:37 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
I don't have the first hand experience you need here, but think an AOD user will be along eventually. Just a few thoughts and questions for now.

-Can you lengthen or shorten the linkage arm on either the column or trans to make the geometry work? (First thing I would do if I wanted to keep the GM wiring and fancy steering wheel). Just a little welding and trial fitting with the vice grips unless you got some weird linkage.

-Don't see why it would be too big a deal to convert the wiring from GM to Ford if you have to.

-Don't settle for a non-tilt. Because a tilt is way more comfortable in these trucks, and I see no reason to settle.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:49 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have an early [ 84] AOD and the way i understand the shifting parameters are .
The "1" is manual low ,it does not shift up.

The "D" is 1-2-3 shift pattern, starting in first and shift up though the gears , but no overdrive.

The "OD" [ D with circle around it ] is 1-2-3-4 shift pattern , starting in first and shifting up though all of the gears and in to overdrive.

There would be no easy way to manually select second gear, there is a way but it is hard on the tranys.

So a three position shift column will work like the 79 C/6 one i used in my 73. You have 1-2-D on it.

I changed the shift lever on the AOD to a lokar one ,not cheap , but it made it easy to adjust to the C/6 column.

G M overdrives like the 200 4/R i have in my 35 chevy has all four shift positions in it ,1-2-3-OD .__My $.02 worth.

Quick Reply: Steering column for AOD in 53-54-55 F100?