1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

C4 swap going good but, "OUCH"

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 08:57 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C4 swap going good but, "OUCH"

Ok I gotta laugh. In order to check the pump gasket and line up the bell housing on my infamous, ebay c4, I had to muscle it up to verticle ,wich went ok until I tried to move it down to the creeper waiting on the floor. Well since Im working alone and the tranny weighs about the same as me. It should have come as no surprise that I could not handel it alone. About half way down I lost my balance, and rather drop the thing on my right front fender, I rode it down to the ground trying to protect the fender with my bare hand. Ouch the fender came out with only some scratches, but my finger didnt fare as well.( I made the right choice,LOL) I cut it close to the bone, severing a nerve I guess cause its still numb. At any rate things like this seem to follow my truck escapades, but its all good. the trannys ok, and on the creeper where it will sit untill I finish, the clean up work I want to complete under the truck, xmember, clean off the old undercoating ect. After my finger stops bleeding, the wife insists I need stitches, but rapping it up tight does the same thing, you just need to keep it clean.

Attached Images     
Old 03-01-2013, 09:27 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope that isn't the hand that you use when color sanding!
I'm also glad that it wasn't any worse.

By the way, real anvils are made in America or Europe by folks like Peter Wright, Fisher-Norris or Acme.
I've been known to blacksmith a wee bit when I need something custom forged.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Howdy Jim...... hate to say it but that's going to be sore for a while sir!

Old 03-01-2013, 09:57 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Get that taken care of, Jimmy, I got an infection in the tendons once from similar stuff. It can give you blood poisoning!! You could lose more than the finger!

I had to do a A/T overhaul on my first car, a '63 TBird with CruiseOMatic. Didn't own a trans jack, had to muscle it up (at the time I weighted about 120). Sure enough it came right back down on me, on my chest. My old man had to come help get me out from under the car.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Originally Posted by The Horvaths
I hope that isn't the hand that you use when color sanding!
I'm also glad that it wasn't any worse.

By the way, real anvils are made in America or Europe by folks like Peter Wright, Fisher-Norris or Acme.
I've been known to blacksmith a wee bit when I need something custom forged.
Heck, thats no anvil, its what Id call a HF nail straightner LOL.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:22 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Jim,
Yikes! Minor emergency will stitch that right up - It'll heal a lot faster.
Janis Joplin on the wall?

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 03-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
The pic is kind of blurry, and I can't see inside. But that wound needs to be explored, irrigated, and cleaned properly. Then POSSIBLY stitched. If it's deep enough that it got the nerve, then it's deep enough to cause a bad infection. When it comes to wounds like that, I've made a lot of money over time because of homeade black tape and Case XX surgery Tetanus vaccine up to date?

Old 03-01-2013, 11:37 PM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
Ouch! Get that thing looked at right away! put some buffing compound on it or something! Oh and dont forget your finger looked at. Just kidding, seriously listen to your friends and your wife.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:32 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
I really apreceiate the out pouring of concern from you guys, but I opened it wide, cleaned with H Peroxide when it happened, covered with Triple anticeptic neosporin, and taped well. Ive done that all day yesterday, and all day today, redoing it every few hours .Its still numb but stopped bleeding this pm. If it starts to get infected Ill break down and go to the doctor, I have had a tetnus shot, but I really cant afford stitches. Thank you all for caring. I actually posted the thread because I thought it was funny, and at the same time reminds us that safty comes first.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:44 AM
imabaka
Senior User
Been there before I once was cutting thru some exhuast on a chevy blazer and when I cut thru the huge 25+ pound mufflers hanger failed droping the sharp edge of the exhuast right thru the back of my hand almost severing a tendon( left a tiny sliver of it intact.) After surgury and 3 months of therapy I have my hand back but from then on I always wear good gloves around sharp metal I don't want that 3 months of suffering again.

Hope it heals quickly and well.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:53 AM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes! We have to take care of ourselves. You should see a doctor on that one too. I had my engine fall off the stand and my frame sheared the pin that holds it in a certain position. Came real close to my head as it rotated down.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:20 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
One of the big differences between men and women (and what causes us a lot of injury) is that when somehting is falling a woman will step out of the way, us men tend to try and catch it (not good when you're dropping knives). Or in your case, protect your truck (which is another thing that wouldn't have crossed a woman's mind).
I'd have done the same thing, and like you, I'd probably be doctoring it myself, well, after the initiall jumping up and down, waving bleeding hand like and idiot, scattering droplets of blood everywhere while screaming curse words and running aorund in little circles was over. Keep it very clean, if it starts showing signs of infection then go have someone look at it.

Bobby

Old 03-02-2013, 10:41 AM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
Yikes !

Another bench-racing story.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
The pic is kind of blurry, and I can't see inside. But that wound needs to be explored, irrigated, and cleaned properly. Then POSSIBLY stitched. If it's deep enough that it got the nerve, then it's deep enough to cause a bad infection. When it comes to wounds like that, I've made a lot of money over time because of homeade black tape and Case XX surgery Tetanus vaccine up to date?
Doc I tried to rep you on this, but I guess I do that to much??? I can't...
but it's really nice to have our own in-house doctor.

Jimmy....my friend...work smarter, not harder!!!

I know how it goes though.

"All I gotta do it get this to the ground....no big deal right?"

OUCH !

Old 03-02-2013, 03:24 PM
bk53
Senior User
do you play or just the jimi avatar? If you play, go to the e room. please. irrigation is good and all. just don't hesitate. You are too nice a guy to folks here. I'd hate like hell to see you lose a finger. I'm not sure where you are but if you within 50 miles of dallas I can come help you with your transmission.

bill

Quick Reply: C4 swap going good but, "OUCH"