O.T. Taint, No Good news...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 11:13 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
O.T. Taint, No Good news...

LOL. I knew it would get you in here.

I need Quick remedy's you have used to treat Poison Ivy Quickly..

I have lot's of experience with treating it but i need advice from our brother paramedics and ask what you others have used to help get over it Quick.

I know it takes time, and for me it takes about three weeks to run through me every time. From Head to taint to toe.

I don't have to touch it to get it. But when i do, I get it bad.
Most of the time just like this, I have to get shots and drown myself with cortisone and steroids.

My Dilema is, I have a sport bike race on sunday that i paid for, 4 months ago. I have had the P.I. for a week now and i am not looking forward to spending the whole day in my hot leather suit in 75 degree heat..

Old 02-27-2013, 11:17 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We must be brothers cuz i'm the same way.. Do not buy the cheap calamine lotion.. Ie the walmart stuff.. doesn't work as well.. cover yourself in calamine lotion and go get your shot on and eat some steroids..

When I get it I get buck naked and cover my body in the stuff. The level of oil on your skin determines how long it takes to break out so cover your whole frickin' body.. Go pink panther like a man!!!

And I will be expecting payment in money or cupcakes, cookies, ect for the free mental image of me naked..

Good luck at your race! What kind of bike?

Old 02-27-2013, 11:18 PM
acewolf
New User
ivy probem

if you have access to manzinita leaves and epson salt take a long hot bath this sounds weird but a friend of mine did this and it worked for him,good luck

Old 02-27-2013, 11:26 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 R1

Last edited by sand_fiend; 02-27-2013 at 11:27 PM. Reason: 06 R1
Old 02-27-2013, 11:35 PM
FI460
Cargo Master
We have poison oak over here, but it's still urushoil. I can look at it wrong and get it. The only medication (other than the shot/steroids) that I've found that seems to do anything for me is cortisone cream, but that still takes time.

Lately I've been experimenting with a new technique when I have small patches of it though. I've been scratching the hell out of it and it seems to make it pass more quickly. ( I do not suggest doing this when you are covered in it). My theory is that the scratching serves to shed the skin cells that have uroshoil bonded to them...

Good luck man. In my opinion there's not much worse than poison oak/ivy. I'd rather get kicked in the pills every morning than have poison oak all day...

Old 02-27-2013, 11:38 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
Good call on the leathers.. Valentino Rossi would be very proud

Old 02-28-2013, 06:22 AM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Well I figured I would grow out of it..but im 45 now and just as allergic to poison oak/ivy now as I've ever been..I can look it up on the internet and get it(I'll probably have it from posting in this thread )The ONLY thing I have found that helps is a cream called Clobetasol .05..you have to have a prescription but it works. The shots and other crap has never worked for me, but Clobetasol.05 WORKS..it usually cuts it down to about four days..

Old 02-28-2013, 06:31 AM
hammer65
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(Well I figured I would grow out of it..)

I am 75 and have not outgrown it.
We have Ivy and Oak around here.

I know of no fast cure.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:04 AM
roostercrows
Elder User
I think we are all in the same boat, I get it pretty easily as well, and quite often.
My own personal way of treating it is very simple, keep it clean by having a warmish shower twice a day, strong soap (the strong soap dries it out) and under no circumstances are you to scratch it.
Let the air at it. The "ooze" that comes out of it is what causes it to spread, so scratching it releases the ooze and spreads it around. DO NOT SCRATCH IT.
Simple as that, doing that I can have it gone in a week to a week and a half.

BUT if your desperate.... a buddy of mine did what I call the "Coehill" treatment. (Coehill is a little redneck town where he is from)
He got a half gallon of bleach added it to a bath and......the poison ivy was gone
pretty much the next day. Again the bleach acts to dry out the poison ivy, really fast.
He swears by it but it is pretty crazy.

I hope you get it cleared up in time.
And nice bike by the way.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:18 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Prednisone...the foresters friend!

Old 02-28-2013, 10:23 AM
FI460
Cargo Master
I am by no means an expert, but I've done a lot of research on poison oak so to address a few things I've learned:

The ooze that comes out of the rash does not spread it. That's just a bodily fluid, not the uroshoil. Once the uroshoil (oil that causes the rash) bonds to the specific skin cells it doesnt spread.

I've read online and been told by 2 different doctors that it is not contagious. If you have it on your arm and rub your arm on your side while sleeping it will not spread. They mentioned in those cases you've usually encountered the oil again from something like your sheets or your couch where you left it after you first came in the house.

I've heard of the bleach method, but 1/2 a gallon seems like an awful lot to me. Sounds almost painful.

Again, not at all an expert, just a long time plagued person. Last year I spent almost 7 months straight with poison oak in one place or another

Old 02-28-2013, 10:39 AM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
There is also a soap that cuts the oil..but you have to wash with it within 30 minutes of contact..which to me seems useless.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:46 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
There is also a soap that cuts the oil..but you have to wash with it within 30 minutes of contact..which to me seems useless.
My parents always said lye soap would help.
I apparently don't react to poison ivy, never had it.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:29 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by roostercrows
BUT if your desperate.... a buddy of mine did what I call the "Coehill" treatment. (Coehill is a little redneck town where he is from)
He got a half gallon of bleach added it to a bath and......the poison ivy was gone pretty much the next day. Again the bleach acts to dry out the poison ivy, really fast.
He swears by it but it is pretty crazy.

Adding a little bleach to a bath is a good thing every now and then. A little- 1 or 2 spoon fulls, and is good when dealing with p.i. along with calamine and cortisone.

1/2 gallon of bleach is crazy!!........ chemical pneumonia!!

Old 02-28-2013, 12:19 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
I think you are referring to Tecnu...I used gallons of the stuff when I was doing forestry research in California. Very effective when used early in the exposure. I use to carry a 5-gallon cooler on my truck with ice water in it...thoroughly rub Technu all over the exposed areas and rinse with ice water. Interesting, not significantly better than using Goop or liquid Dial soap. I got Tecnu for free, so I used it. In the old days, I use to bring Prednisone back from Mexico...customs wouldn't look twice at it. Best treatment I have found if you have a serious case or need to get rid of it quickly.

Quick Reply: O.T. Taint, No Good news...