S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

7.3 Rebuild...the beginning!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:22 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wpnaes
Gary, were you a surgeon in the past life? Mighty clean work!
Thanks Sean. It's a combination of age and pride. In my younger days I used to run from the top of the hill into the herd all excited and unfocused, trying to be everywhere......now, I survey the situation, set my sights on the goal, and walk slowly and with purpose towards my goal. Happy endings, lol. . Energy is sooooo wasted on the young.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:28 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Really looking great. Going to be one nice EX.

Chet

Old 05-14-2013, 12:37 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Excursion Gary
In my younger days I used to run from the top of the hill into the herd all excited and unfocused, trying to be everywhere......now, I survey the situation, set my sights on the goal, and walk slowly and with purpose towards my goal.
Never heard it put quite that way before

Old 05-14-2013, 01:34 AM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
Never heard it put quite that way before
lol, I was trying not to be to graphic, could get me banned.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:32 AM
reccymech
New User
Well, you've got my attention. Will be following this thread.

Great read.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Here is todays progress.............

Got the support bracket for the pickup tube so tomorrow the pan goes on. Also, should mention that one of the main purposes behind this build at 400k miles was to get rid of the PMR's. Installed Crower connecting rods in their place.

Non-EBPV Turbo Pedastel and 38R installed.

Not happy with the casting marks so I polished the tunnel as best I could using a combination of 80 and 120 flap wheels, then used my Dremel to reach in further and for finishing.

38R with Wicked Wheel 2 installed. Polished the intake side as well.

Installed the Banks 4" Power Elbow and IH Bellowed up pipes. The manifolds all the way through the turbo, through the down pipe is all ceramic coated. I wanted to keep the heat up to the turbo for effeciency, then out of the turbo down the exhaust down pipe to help keep as much heat as possible out of the engine compartment.

That's if for today....progress. Tomorrow...going to see with this sliding mechanism on the hoist if we can get the engine installed with the Turbo mounted. If not, the fact that we did the pre-fit and have everything aligned should allow quick removal and easier install if we have to remove it.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:05 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What's the spring loaded wastegate rod and new arm for.
Never seen that. I've seen the wg pulled shut with a rod but not how you have it.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:17 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think your load leveler is going to contact the cowl...

If you want to keep from bending the ears... try some 3/4" solid bar stock between them. Give you more clearance by dropping the nose of the crane closer into the valley.

Looking gorgeous Brother!

Old 05-14-2013, 09:57 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
What's the spring loaded wastegate rod and new arm for.
Never seen that. I've seen the wg pulled shut with a rod but not how you have it.
That's a Turbo Master Wastegate Controller. Got mine from Dieselsite. I had one on my stock turbo and later transfered it to the 38R. I sold it when changed out the turbine housing to a 1.15 A/R nonwastegated one. I liked the ease of adjustment and and how it kept the WG closed until its set point.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Originally Posted by Christof13T
I think your load leveler is going to contact the cowl...

If you want to keep from bending the ears... try some 3/4" solid bar stock between them. Give you more clearance by dropping the nose of the crane closer into the valley.

Looking gorgeous Brother!
I agree, and remember all to well how low we had to be when we removed the engine. Good observation.

Originally Posted by mueckster
That's a Turbo Master Wastegate Controller. Got mine from Dieselsite. I had one on my stock turbo and later transfered it to the 38R. I sold it when changed out the turbine housing to a 1.15 A/R nonwastegated one. I liked the ease of adjustment and and how it kept the WG closed until its set point.
Zackly! Could not have said it better. Thanks.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:58 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Off topic...
I have no idea how I got here reading your build. Maybe it was one of my searches...
But to the OP, why did you post in your chapter forum page and not in the main powerstroke forum. I'm sure lots of guys would love to see your build.
If I had not stumbled onto this build, I would never known of your project.

Back on topic, that wg controller is $180. Holy crap. Seems more than what I'd like to pay, but if it works the way you want then great. My tightened stock actuator does what I want with an acceptable amount of creep. It pegs 30psi and by the top of 3rd gear its up to 35psi. Fine by me.
My twin turbo truck has external wastegates, And is getting an electronic boost controller.
I gotta get saving for injectors... That thought just ruined my night. Oh well.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
Off topic...
I have no idea how I got here reading your build. Maybe it was one of my searches...
But to the OP, why did you post in your chapter forum page and not in the main powerstroke forum. I'm sure lots of guys would love to see your build.
If I had not stumbled onto this build, I would never known of your project.
Glad you found it no matter how it happened. I did put a thread and link in the 7.3L Forum, and try to hit it every few days with an update and another link over to this thread.

Back on topic, that wg controller is $180. Holy crap. Seems more than what I'd like to pay, but if it works the way you want then great. My tightened stock actuator does what I want with an acceptable amount of creep. It pegs 30psi and by the top of 3rd gear its up to 35psi. Fine by me.
My twin turbo truck has external wastegates, And is getting an electronic boost controller.
I gotta get saving for injectors... That thought just ruined my night. Oh well.
The price you quote is for the new billet unit, not what I paid for the aluminum unit. Any kind of performance wastegate though is going to be in that price range. I had a Banks Big Head that you'll pay at least $180 for, and am selling it with my old yet refurbished 38R. I paid less for this one and have the added benefit of being able to adjust the spring tension as I get the program dialed in. Expecting in the range of 40-50psi of boost. More to learn.......

Old 05-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Gary what are you asking for that 38r?

Old 05-15-2013, 08:38 AM
DieselHardware
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just out of curiosity, if you are spending the money on the Crowers, why not add a girdle while you're there. The weakest point is the block. The Crowers will take a lot more stress than the PMR's or Forged rods, but the block twisting can still do some damage. Just wondering if it was something you had thought about?

Old 05-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Originally Posted by Christof13T
Gary what are you asking for that 38r?
I'll PM you.

Quick Reply: 7.3 Rebuild...the beginning!