Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stinky's Second Stage Sticks Stretch Studs?

Old 02-22-2013, 06:55 PM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Stinky's Second Stage Sticks Stretch Studs?

I got on it real good today and I had a present waiting for me in the degas bottle. Now I need to get educated if this was just a "lift", or if I did something to my head gasket. I know step one is to adjust the wastegate down. I guess it's a good thing I still have the pressure test thingy BWST loaned me.

It's OK, though... I'm cool so far, because Stinky still sounds right.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:35 PM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
2000ca250 has a good reputation on FTE.2000ca250 has a good reputation on FTE.
Honestly Rich,

after all this work, why not put studs in it? Yes they are expensive, but once you factor in the cost of machine work, new gaskets, down time, and any other unforseen issues, its not that much.

Let me know what you decide, I'm more than willing to do the install for you.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:41 PM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 2000ca250 View Post
Honestly Rich,

after all this work, why not put studs in it? Yes they are expensive, but once you factor in the cost of machine work, new gaskets, down time, and any other unforseen issues, its not that much.

Let me know what you decide, I'm more than willing to do the install for you.

The (still smoking) Buck$Zooka is reloaded because of all the diesel I'm not burning, but I was assured multiple times that the AC 160/100s wouldn't get me to this level. So... if I pass the degas pressure test again, I just need to replace the head studs one at a time and keep the gaskets in there?

Old 02-22-2013, 07:44 PM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.
what was the boost?? I can't imagine 40+ or - a couple blowing a head gasket or lifting the head..when i blew my gaskets a couple of months ago,it blew antifreeze everywhere out of the degas bottle..If you did lift a head or blew a gasket, the gaskets will have to be replaced (ask me how I know)..

Is it possible there was a little cross contamination from the cup install??

Old 02-22-2013, 07:46 PM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
The injectors dont really have THAT much of an impact. If you're pushing 40 PSI, youre in the danger zone so to speak.

As far as install, basically yes. Same way I did mine. One and a time. Rock the engine, one at a time on the other side. Only thing you're not going to want to hear...you have to pull injectors as well as the top bolts. Good news is that you've gotten pretty good at that.

As I said, let me know if you want to do it. I'll gladly offer the warm and well equipped shop, which is much cleaner than last time. Plus I'll help with the install. It can get quite tiring if you do it by yourself.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by joeyd61 View Post
what was the boost?? I can't imagine 40+ or - a couple blowing a head gasket or lifting the head..when i blew my gaskets a couple of months ago,it blew antifreeze everywhere out of the degas bottle..If you did lift a head or blew a gasket, the gaskets will have to be replaced (ask me how I know)..
You were the first one I thought of. It wasn't bad, it just dumped about a pint and put some nice black crud on my freshly-cleaned bottle. It's possible the head seals were weakend by an earlier incident, and now I just need 35 PSI to burp the heads.

Originally Posted by 2000ca250 View Post
Only thing you're not going to want to hear...you have to pull injectors as well as the top bolts.
So... you're under the impression I don't want to hear that. I'm pretty sure you'd want to be spared my current tirade aimed at the messenger.

ARP studs: $640. I should have gone with the stock nozzles.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:16 PM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
Haha 640? I could have sworn they were 600. Id give it some time and see what happens. But its not that bad of an install and its not like its expensive compared to a rebuild

Old 02-22-2013, 08:17 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Texas Chain Ring is a splendid one to beholdTexas Chain Ring is a splendid one to beholdTexas Chain Ring is a splendid one to beholdTexas Chain Ring is a splendid one to beholdTexas Chain Ring is a splendid one to beholdTexas Chain Ring is a splendid one to beholdTexas Chain Ring is a splendid one to behold
ARP studs at DI Performance are $425.

ARP Head Stud Kit

Old 02-22-2013, 08:22 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Texas Chain Ring is a splendid one to beholdTexas Chain Ring is a splendid one to beholdTexas Chain Ring is a splendid one to beholdTexas Chain Ring is a splendid one to beholdTexas Chain Ring is a splendid one to beholdTexas Chain Ring is a splendid one to beholdTexas Chain Ring is a splendid one to behold
Oops, that's for the 6.0. My fault, add $189.00 to that.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:23 PM
VegasFordSD
Elder User
VegasFordSD has a great reputation on FTE.VegasFordSD has a great reputation on FTE.VegasFordSD has a great reputation on FTE.VegasFordSD has a great reputation on FTE.VegasFordSD has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
ARP studs: $640. I should have gone with the stock nozzles.
$530... just sayin Riffraff Diesel: ARP 7.3L Headstud Kit

Your set up is good, don't second guess what you have done. 160/100's aren't crazy off the wall injectors, you will soon be happy with your set-up here.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Texas Chain Ring View Post
ARP studs at DI Performance are $425.

ARP Head Stud Kit
...until you select the 7.3L head studs. They're special.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by VegasFordSD View Post
you will soon be happy with your set-up here.
That's what I keep hearin'. I'm starting to wonder if "soon" is code for the end of the Christian calendar... I've already burned through the Mayan calendar since I started this.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
i knew that...

Old 02-22-2013, 09:44 PM
BWST
Elder User
BWST has a good reputation on FTE.BWST has a good reputation on FTE.BWST has a good reputation on FTE.
Rich, a pic of your tank? I think its normal to have some fuel show up in the degas for up to a month after the cup job. I keep sucking a bit out with a turkey baster, and finally a paper towel for the last few floating drops.

Do you have fuel, or is the black crud more of the stuff you had originally? You said it lost a pint? I topped off the bottle for about a week as the air worked out of the system. Is it not just that?

Old 02-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Tugly
Post Fiend
I will not rule anything out at this juncture. I've been popping the hood pretty regular to see if anything with the bottle changes, that's how I caught this. This was the first time I lost coolant since my first start and idle. I had been taking it somewhat easy since Wednesday morning (first drive to work), but I had to pass two pokeys on a short stretch today (on my way to work) and I climbed all up in that throttle. I checked the bottle at work and it looked pretty cruddy compared to what it looked like before. It's entirely possible I flushed something because nothing stirs things up like a good stick kickin'. I'll keep driving and keep watching... and of course I'll report my observations/questions here.

If anybody thinks I'm threatening Stinky with 35 PSI on the hot side, please feel free to chime in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stinky's Second Stage Sticks Stretch Studs?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.