Sponsored by: Moser

X pipe into dual muffs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 12:24 AM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X pipe into dual muffs?

So as some of you know i had new exhaust done a few months ago. They did header back exhaust and its twin pipes into an X pipe then out into dual borla mufflers. It isnt as loud or lets say deep as i was hopeing for. Would it be bad to have them remove the X pipe? Will this screw up like backpressure equaling or something weird....

Basically if its ok to remove it, will it be lounder then having it?

Thanks

Old 02-22-2013, 01:28 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
That x pipe is balancing the pressure in your exhaust system making your motor fart better. If you take it out you may notice a difference in your performance. I'd keep it in simply because it improves you exhaust flow. As for noise, I'm the quiet guy.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:15 AM
psquare7575
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another quiet guy here. I had an X with Borlas on my 78 Cougar. I found it too loud. H with big super turbos AND resonators on my F100. Sound levels at idle are like a Lincoln, and you hear transmission gear whine more than the engine when accelerating..

I bet if you wind that thing up to 5K it sounds like an Indy Car, X's do that.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:28 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I believe the sound reduction is more from your muffler choice, not the x-pipe.

I was going to go with a couple real long Thrush glasspacks, but ended up going with a couple MagnaFlow mufflers. I think they sound pretty good.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:40 AM
crazy96863
Cargo Master
Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
If you want loud take off the entire exhaust except the headers. That will be loud.

Btw... I vote flowmaster. Some love 'em, others don't, but they have always sounded damn good to me.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:58 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
I'm not a huge FlowMaster fan, but that is most likely due to the vehicles I have heard them on. Mostely all of them have been 90's and newer vehicles. I think if I heard them in person (not youtube) on some older vehicles, they would sound better.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:02 AM
crazy96863
Cargo Master
Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
Yeah its stupid to put them on v6's and shít; might flow better but sounds like crap. It seems to me their strong suit is classic American iron with big áss engines.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:10 AM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
Well i have dual 12" Borla Sportsman mufflers. Short little guys and they have a deep rumble but im thinking this magnaflow X pipe is making the deep gurgle sound go away...
BORLA® - XR-1™ Sportsman Stainless Steel Race Muffler

Old 02-22-2013, 11:46 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SuperDuty93
Well i have dual 12" Borla Sportsman mufflers. Short little guys and they have a deep rumble but im thinking this magnaflow X pipe is making the deep gurgle sound go away...
BORLA® - XR-1™ Sportsman Stainless Steel Race Muffler
You'd think with that little guy in there it would sound pretty healthy.

You might be right on the x-pipe canceling out some of the sounds you were looking for.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:36 PM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by AK FORD GUY
You'd think with that little guy in there it would sound pretty healthy.

You might be right on the x-pipe canceling out some of the sounds you were looking for.
Yea exactly. And ythey are straight through as well so it goes straight in and out with no diverging of air flow Should be loud as hell but really isnt at all

Old 02-22-2013, 12:49 PM
AZCFH
Senior User
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
im going to say it's the muffler's and or the length of pipe after the mufflers. reason why is my 91 5.0 mustang has a x-pipe with 40 series flowmasters ,has a nice non obnoxious rumble..i had a h pipe on before the x pipe and the x pipe is louder..on my f250 there has to be at least 3 feet of tail pipe after my flowmasters and it takes some of the sound away due to the longer trip out theend of the tail pipe..i didnt see any pics of your exhaust so i could be wrong as far as that goes,but i dont think it's the x-pipe..i have magnaflows on my 78 bronco(previous owner) super quiet.. may change them later but they are brand spankin new..

Old 02-22-2013, 01:27 PM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by AZCFH
im going to say it's the muffler's and or the length of pipe after the mufflers. reason why is my 91 5.0 mustang has a x-pipe with 40 series flowmasters ,has a nice non obnoxious rumble..i had a h pipe on before the x pipe and the x pipe is louder..on my f250 there has to be at least 3 feet of tail pipe after my flowmasters and it takes some of the sound away due to the longer trip out theend of the tail pipe..i didnt see any pics of your exhaust so i could be wrong as far as that goes,but i dont think it's the x-pipe..i have magnaflows on my 78 bronco(previous owner) super quiet.. may change them later but they are brand spankin new..

My exaust goes straight back off the headers, 45 degree bend then the mufflers and about a foot and a holf striaght out. Not much of a bend at all so im thinking it has to be the X pipe. Maybe i can shoot a vid later. Its loud when you accelerate kinda but at idle its no where near as loud as it use to be. Had a like dual into 1 24" long flowmaster. Some huge thing that just made noise. No tuned sound at all.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:37 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
H/X pipes outperform true duals on nearly every front, albeit marginal, there are slight horsepower and torque gains, reduced backpressure, improved scavenging, and a more even and mellow exhaust note when using a crossover pipe.

IMO true duals sound better than a H/X pipe, i prefer the more classic "muscle car" rumble over the more mellow tones of a "tuned" exhaust.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:42 PM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by montana_highboy
H/X pipes outperform true duals on nearly every front, albeit marginal, there are slight horsepower and torque gains, reduced backpressure, improved scavenging, and a more even and mellow exhaust note when using a crossover pipe.

IMO true duals sound better than a H/X pipe, i prefer the more classic "muscle car" rumble over the more mellow tones of a "tuned" exhaust.

Ok see what i want is the classic muscle car sound which im not really getting. Top end is OK "" in some respects when i gun it but the old exhaust was just noize and didnt sound good at all.... I think ill have the X pipe cut out and give it a try for a bit.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:02 PM
410 Highboy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to change ,you need to start fresh , maybe another exhaust system crafter . Loosing the X pipe looses performance . The Borla's are probably going to be closer to a glass pack than anything else. .
In my situation , because I have 4 wheel drive I have manifold to resonators a Flowmaster two in two out (which acts as my X-pipe .
Flowmaster sound is an aquired taste .

You might call Borla . They have people working for them that can point you in the direction that you want to go .

Quick Reply: X pipe into dual muffs?