Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I ignorant or are they?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 10:56 AM
stewart89
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Gervais
You paid $4 for a repair. You got $4 worth of service.

I wouldn't say anyone is ignorant, but the instructor should be checking every vehicle before it leaves the shop.
Completely agree with this statement. Not too mention this is a easy enough job that with a little walk through with some of the folks on here you could of done it yourself with ease. There's a lot of helpful people on this site and I'm sure there are plenty that would answer your questions if you wanted to tackle it yourself.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's been a long time ago, but my buddy in HS went to auto shop(I was in elec shop) and you should have heard the horror stories I got everyday. He was already a good mechanic growing up at his dads service station. Scary, very scary.

I'm **** enough that I don't trust much of anyone to work on my stuff. I had to make the mistake of dropping my then new 2000 PSD off for warranty work(turbo failure), I got it back and it looked like the 5th Infantry marched on the front bumper(scratched to heII and back). I was PISSED. Did no good to complain to dealership. Lucky I've never had to deal with that situation again.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
When it comes to my truck, I either do all the work myself, or fork out to the local Ford dealer. They are surprisingly very nice and professional. No problems with anything they have done for me. My wallet HATES them though...

Old 02-22-2013, 03:08 PM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evan_P
When it comes to my truck, I either do all the work myself, or fork out to the local Ford dealer. They are surprisingly very nice and professional. No problems with anything they have done for me. My wallet HATES them though...
That's pretty much were I stand. There is one shop in town I trust to do some work as well, but they're always so busy and the wait is so long, I can do the work myself on weekends only and still get it done around the same time. Besides, doing your own work gives you the excuse to buy more tools; Hows that a bad thing?

Old 02-22-2013, 03:33 PM
CJM8515
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I cant do the work myself I will only let people I trust near my vehicles. Way to many hack shops that dont belong even being open let alone working on stuff.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:39 PM
IowanStraight6
Elder User
Ok but let's be real here not every little tire shop or mechanics shop has those "idiot high schoolers" its usually it consists of a mix and usually a person has the inconvinence of getting stuck with them working on there vehicles. A school is ment to learn and that is what the students are doin and by taking it back represents a real life situation. Also the instructor will get a better idea of the individuals and when that dealership calls with a job offer he won't give them the students names that did that flawless tranny job instead he will give those names to the local jiffy lube.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:40 PM
IowanStraight6
Elder User
Also remember guys we all have those Mondays no matter the professional.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:27 AM
younggunner
New User
yesterday i went to the instructor in the morning to tell him what all was wrong with my truck. i wasnt rude, i just told him. he said he knew about all the problems i told him i found with my truck, except for the loose shifter and broken boot. he said if i brought it back in they would tighten my shifter and put some washers and screws in my boot to hold it down. i told him i already fixed the shifter and refused his offer to rig my boot. then i went to the local scrap yard and for $30 i got a new boot, 2 center caps for my wheels, a new chrome headlight bezel, and a hood bug guard. made my day

Old 02-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Hope that is a lesson learned. Dont let high schoolers work on ANYTHING without PROPER supervision

Old 02-23-2013, 11:10 AM
rikard
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was an instructor at a vocational high school in Massachusetts nine years ago. I taught HVAC (related and shop) and I checked all of my students work. Shoddy or improper workmanship was not acceptable.
Along with residential and commercial HVAC, I also would teach my students automotive AC, which we did at the Auto shop. Many of the auto students were attentive and the instructors were good. I know that many of the students, teachers, and alumni had work done there. The schools vans and trucks also were serviced at the shop. Once in a while there would be a problem but it always got taken care of promptly. The biggest problem was the long waiting list to get in.
Our school would also compete with other schools locally and nationally and the auto guys usually did good reaching the state finals a couple of times.
Youngunner you should talk with the department head and the dean and let them know about your experiance and the instructors responce. There is no way that the students workmanship or the instructors attitude is acceptable.
Unfortunately the reality of the situation is that instructors are hard to find and good mechanics and tradesmen are in demand out in the field.
I know in my case I couldn't afford to be a teacher and went back into the field.
Go Knights !!!
Regards
rikard

Old 02-23-2013, 02:58 PM
kegomatix
Senior User
Originally Posted by younggunner
he said he knew about all the problems i told him i found with my truck
That's messed up...

Old 02-23-2013, 09:09 PM
bcboy4ca
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kegomatix
That's messed up...
I completely agree with you on this, he knew about all the problems and let the truck leave the shop, sounds like the students biggest problem is the lack of a decent teacher

Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 PM
buzzy613
Elder User
boy am i glad my uncle is a ase certified mechanic, i dont trust any of the kids at my skill center either and i am also in the welding class, the teacher seems alright there but still, This is my truck, there are many like it but this one is mine! no one eles touches it

Old 02-24-2013, 01:53 AM
IowanStraight6
Elder User
Keep in mind those kids are all going for ase certification

Old 02-24-2013, 02:55 AM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
Originally Posted by younggunner
yesterday i went to the instructor in the morning to tell him what all was wrong with my truck. i wasnt rude, i just told him. he said he knew about all the problems i told him i found with my truck, except for the loose shifter and broken boot. he said if i brought it back in they would tighten my shifter and put some washers and screws in my boot to hold it down. i told him i already fixed the shifter and refused his offer to rig my boot. then i went to the local scrap yard and for $30 i got a new boot, 2 center caps for my wheels, a new chrome headlight bezel, and a hood bug guard. made my day
He knew about it and let it go out the door?! You need to talk to the school board or whomever signs his paycheck, because that is unacceptable in any sort of profession. If they let that go out the door, I'd hate to be the guy that doesn't get his lug nuts put back on. Because I'm sure they'd let that go.

Quick Reply: Am I ignorant or are they?