46 Ford Truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 06:40 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
A year ago last December I took posession of this very similar truck from a yard in Minot ND. Engine was stuck bad, but after fixing up a good used 8ba, installing a script bed that I already had, new brakes, used tires from craigslist etc it looked like this and ran strong within about 10 months while working full time at work. (Just some encouragement). You weren't around here then, but it was a heck of a lot of fun for me. That one you have looks really nice. Can't wait to see some pics as you dig into this next stage! Welcome to the madness from a fellow sufferer. You will find no end of support and knowledge from the guys here.

Attached Images   
Old 03-29-2015, 07:50 PM
1ford1prowler
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks I look forward to getting all the help possible. I know I will need tires as the ones on the truck are dry rotted. When I was young I worked with the old split rims a lot so I might try to keep the original look all though most people are afraid of these widow maker rims. I am curious what some of you guys think about this before I reach this stage of the build. I also will need trim for the hood if anyone has some they don't need I would purchase them. Has anyone replaced the rear window frame? My thought is to find one just a little bigger for a better view out the back, any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks Steve

Old 03-29-2015, 09:10 PM
Joe777
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like a good, solid project truck Steve! Is that a 2-speed axle I see hiding under there? Nice find!! I can't tell from the pics but I don't think those are the true widow maker rims. I think your rims are the lock ring style which most big truck tire shops will still work on provided the rims are in descent shape. For tires, I went with 7.50x20's front and 8.25x20's on the rear. US mfg's don't make these any more so I went with Power King (china). Hood trim shows up on Ebay quite often so that shouldn't be a problem. Your grille bars appear to be in great shape. Thats good because they are getting really hard to find and the after market ones are sketchy at best. As far as enlarging the back window, that is new territory for me. I think you would run into more problems than it would be worth. Dive into it and keep us posted!

Old 03-29-2015, 09:36 PM
1ford1prowler
Freshman User
Thanks Joe, the window frame is rusted and will not hold a window but I think I can straiten it out. The jail bars in the grill are amazingly perfect because of that large from bumper guard. I plan to remove the bumper grill and clean up the bumper and paint it like my other truck. I want this truck to look just like the 1/2 ton with a flat bed that would haul the smaller truck. Maybe crazy but that's what I am thinking. The truck has a flathead six cylinder engine and your eagle eye did see the two speed rear end. Not to sure yet until I get to look at the engine what direction I will take. Thanks for the trim idea I will watch eBay. Thanks Steve

Old 04-07-2015, 04:46 PM
Joe777
Laughing Gas
Ok, anyone up for another round of name that part? I'm pretty sure this goes on my truck somewhere but can't seem to recall exactly where. As usual, any and all help is appreciated.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:31 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Never seen that one! It looks like a patch panel I would make from a rusty piece of tin to graft onto or over a rusty piece of tin I already have.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:42 PM
1ford1prowler
Freshman User
I looked my old pickup over and could not find this panel. Sorry I couldn't help.
I will look again tomorrow. Good luck with your search.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:05 PM
46fordgal
Junior User
I love this game! But I have no idea what it is, sorry.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:42 PM
Joe777
Laughing Gas
Well if you guys (and gal) don't recognize it I can probably get by without it. Looks like the prize money gets rolled over till next round.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:43 AM
Joe777
Laughing Gas
Just an update on my truck. I sent the speedo off to Bob's Speedometer to get checked out and the dizzy went to Bubba's to get reconditioned. Now we are trying to get all the bits and pieces under the hood back in place. If anyone would like to post some pics of their firewall layout I would greatly appreciate it. Also need the routing of the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump. I think it comes from the tank, runs along the passenger side frame rail, crosses over to the drivers side frame rail, thru a clip on the firewall to the pump???? Have a good weekend everyone!

The fenders, inner fenders, and radiator have been removed for easier access to engine and firewall.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:24 AM
christurney77
Elder User
Man... I love your truck. Soon you'll be enjoying just driving it around!!!

Old 04-10-2015, 01:35 PM
46fordgal
Junior User
[QUOTE=Joe777;15256846] If anyone would like to post some pics of their firewall layout I would greatly appreciate it.
Joe - Here's a picture of a firewall layout (not mine). I really like the way this one looks. I don't remember where I got the pic from.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:31 PM
bernette
Cargo Master
Received 139 Likes on 100 Posts
wow! do i like looking at your truck! sorry no fire wall pictures.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:44 PM
Joe777
Laughing Gas
Thanks for the compliments and thanks for the photo fordgal! If I ever do another resto you can bet there will be plenty of photos taken to help with re-assembly. Did a little more wiring today and put new water pumps on. Can't wait to hear the motor come to life.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:54 AM
redbison00
Freshman User
Color or lock rings and wood bed color

Two questions...that could be of help on this thread.

1) I painted the lock rings on my rims grey/silver..since my Dad told me they came that way from the factory (mine is a 47). Is that true? I've seen some old literature showing it both ways (year specific maybe?)?

2) I'm getting ready to paint my wood grain box back to the Green color it was originally painted when the lumberyard built the box back in 47. Has anyone found a good Green color they painted theirs with, to show us?

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: 46 Ford Truck