Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a few questions

Old 02-18-2013, 07:01 PM
jesusfreak2111
New User
jesusfreak2111 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a few questions

First off, let me say hello. This is my first post on this site. I am looking at getting a used 2000 Ford F250 powerstroke. I have alot of specs on this truck, and am going to test drive it tomorrow. I just have a few questions for you F250 gurus out there. The truck is a 2000 f250 with the 7.3 diesel and 6 speed trans with 141k miles. I am just wanting to know what to look out for in these trucks. It has a few mods, and I am good with mods, I just dont know this truck well enough to go look at it with nothing in my mind as to what to ask. Here are some of the mods, 15" lift he said, (in the pics it does not look that big). He told me the lift kit was on it when he bought it and he does not know the manafacture of it. He has added a new set of 40" nitto mud grappler tires, (again, in the pics these do not look like 40s), ill find out if they are really that big in person. Also, he added a banks turbo, 6 gun chip, dual 8" stacks in the bed, and a cold air intake, and a lambo door kit. What should I be looking out for in this truck? I am planning on taking it to my mechanic if I cant find anything alarming to me. Please just help me so I dont look like an idiot when I go see it tomorrow. I am going to take it on a long test drive, he said just put diesel in it, and drive as much as I like (good sign). Thanks in advance for all input. He said the only things that are wrong with it, are the power door locks dont work(he has not looked into why) and the front driveshaft is to short because of the lift. (I have found a local shop to fix the driveshaft problem for less than $200). Again, THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY ADVICE!!!!!
Also, what kind of fuel econony can I expect to get from this beast? He said around 20 highway on the economy tune.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:10 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Hello and welcome to FTE.

I've moved your thread to the 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel forum where you'll likely get a better response.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:26 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
jkidd_39 has a great reputation on FTE.jkidd_39 has a great reputation on FTE.jkidd_39 has a great reputation on FTE.jkidd_39 has a great reputation on FTE.jkidd_39 has a great reputation on FTE.jkidd_39 has a great reputation on FTE.
No 12" lift w/ 40" tires will get anything close to 20mpg highway.. i'd guess 14-15 is a great day on 40's..

Banks turbo is a larger exhaust housing and wastegate.

The Lambo doors would make me run away from it but I can't look at it in person

Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
roostercrows has a good reputation on FTE.roostercrows has a good reputation on FTE.
Welcome brother!
People more qualified than me will give you tips on what to look for.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
jeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to beholdjeffreyt is a splendid one to behold
Here is a good thread. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...ech-links.html

It contains lots of links and info including a link for what to look for when buying new trucks.

Btw, the door locks are easy to fix. Just come back and we'll hook you up with a good how-to

Old 02-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Chris123NT
Senior User
Chris123NT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Big lift with 40's. Ok first question is what gear ratio is it running. That will play a huge role in the fuel economy that you're going to get. But at BEST you will see 14-15 highway with that kind of setup regardless.

Bigger turbo and the six gun is nice, although I don't really like Banks tuning, but it's fine for stock injectors obviously. The lambo doors would make me scream why lol. I just don't see the point of them but to each their own, and if you like them then more power to you.

Ask the guy how it's been maintained. How often he changes oil, fuel filter replacement intervals etc... Just get a rough idea if this truck has been well maintained or if it's been somewhat neglected mechanically.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:28 PM
cleatus12r
Post Fiend
cleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputation
15 inches of lift with 40 inch tires? That has to look ridiculous (too much lift for those tires).

I know the guy is feeding you a line with 20 MPG, but I'd be VERY inclined to say that 14-15 is still too generous.

To correct the OP, the Banks Six-Gun is NOT a "chip". It is an inline module that fools the injection control pressure sensor to the engine's computer. It does the same thing as an Edge Juice and the oft-mentioned in the good ol' days "10K Mod". There is no "tuning" contained within its circuitry as was mentioned in the previous post.

I figured I'd jump on the wagon to correct that misinformation right off the bat so that we're all on the same playing field and since you're new, there's no time like the present to get the nomenclature right.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Chris123NT
Senior User
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
15 inches of lift with 40 inch tires? That has to look ridiculous (too much lift for those tires).

I know the guy is feeding you a line with 20 MPG, but I'd be VERY inclined to say that 14-15 is still too generous.

To correct the OP, the Banks Six-Gun is NOT a "chip". It is an inline module that fools the injection control pressure sensor to the engine's computer. It does the same thing as an Edge Juice and the oft-mentioned in the good ol' days "10K Mod". There is no "tuning" contained within its circuitry as was mentioned in the previous post.

I figured I'd jump on the wagon to correct that misinformation right off the bat so that we're all on the same playing field and since you're new, there's no time like the present to get the nomenclature right.
Thanks for the correction, I was not aware that it fooled the ICP sensor reading like that. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:43 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Excursion Gary has a good reputation on FTE.Excursion Gary has a good reputation on FTE.
Send in an oil sample (assuming the oil has a little mileage on it) and you will know more once you get the report back. Some of the 7.3L's of that period came with powdered metal connecting rods which at your mileage should not be a probelm as long as the motor is not pushing alot of mods and big horsepower. From my readings and talking to other PSD owners of this motor its not until around 400k that these begin to fail, and some never do. All depends on how you treat the motor, your loads, and the hp your pushing. The 7.3L is an awsome motor, and is what I have from my 2001 Excursion. I have 400k on mine and I just decided to go through the motor and do some upgrades while at it. I fully expect with the mods and proper maintenance that this will take me to the end of my lifes road, and enable me to NOT buy a new truck ever again. I cant say enough good things about this motor. Good Luck.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:58 PM
cleatus12r
Post Fiend
cleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputation
I try to hold my tongue on the grammar bit on forums; it's usually absolutely atrocious. But don't confuse a flash programmer with a chip, a chip with a fueling module, or a fueling module with a flash programmer while I'm around or you'll hear about it!!!

I'm not trying to bust your ***** in particular, Chris. No offense meant in my posts. This pertains to everybody. I guess in my line of work, it's no different than somebody using the wrong name for a tool in a specific trade to describe something that it isn't.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Chris123NT
Senior User
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
I try to hold my tongue on the grammar bit on forums; it's usually absolutely atrocious. But don't confuse a flash programmer with a chip, a chip with a fueling module, or a fueling module with a flash programmer while I'm around or you'll hear about it!!!

I'm not trying to bust your ***** in particular, Chris. No offense meant in my posts. This pertains to everybody. I guess in my line of work, it's no different than somebody using the wrong name for a tool in a specific trade to describe something that it isn't.
No offense taken man. And I know exactly what you mean since i work in the diesel field, I'm just not familiar with all of the facets of various chips and fueling modules etc, I usually leave that to the tuners and people who specialize in those products... Nevertheless, I appreciate being corrected, now I won't confuse them again in the future

Old 02-19-2013, 07:12 AM
jesusfreak2111
New User
jesusfreak2111 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for all the help, I dont like the lambo doors, I am already considering taking them off. He said they will be simple to remove, ill see more when I see it in person. THanks again for all the help.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:54 AM
Brother Les
Posting Guru
Brother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to behold
These trucks are made to look good, but to also work..... This does not sound like a 'work' truck, but a truck for 'show'..... If the truck is as you describe, you will be doing mostly city driving and your MPG will be in the very low teens.

What is the asking price?