Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gas milage

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 06:36 PM
captWarren
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gas milage

i have a 93 f150 super cab short bed 302 with aod transmisson. transmission has been rebuilt but I never liked the way is shifts. truck only gets 12-14 mpg. my question would changing to a standard transmission improve the gas milage

Old 02-18-2013, 06:41 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This truck will never get mpg that will make you smile.
A manual trans may get better mpg, but its not worth the trouble unless you already have a parts truck.
Adjust the kickdown cable (tv cable) It will help a lot. Or if you are mechanically inclined, put a shift kit in it.

Are you sure its an aod

Old 02-18-2013, 06:58 PM
captWarren
Freshman User
yes i had it rebuilt thanks for your input

Old 02-18-2013, 07:40 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Ou had he trans rebuilt how...
A lot of times it isn't adjusted right, even though its at the original ford setting, or the trans builder put it to stock spec.
Stock isn't where it should be to shift nicely and quick and firm. Add a little more pressure and you will be pleased. I've had these transmissions in a lot of vehicles of all performance levels and weights. I've had stock transmissions take 400whp turbo and a 150shot of nitrous in a 3600lb car for over a year, and a shift kit enhanced, stall converter, and 40" tires with a mostly stock carbd 351. These transmissions are quite tough for the bad reputation, but they need to be adjusted correctly.
Anyway
Few things about this trans
You can add as much pressure as you want, you will shift real hard and lose overdrive if you go too far (because it thinks you're in the gas too much and won't shift into OD) and will shift out of OD earlier.
Overdrive is weak. It runs off the smallest input shaft. If you mash the gas too hard and it downshifts to 2nd gear too fast and hard, you'll snap the input shaft. (I've snapped the shaft and welded the converter to the 2nd shaft)
If you manually downshift to drive, it turns into a nearly indestructible trans. I've run slicks and nitrous and plenty of boost through bone stock 100k+ mile grand marquis transmissions, and they only blew up due to my brain quirk and didn't downshift out of OD manually.

Back to mpg. Sorry. Manual swap maybe. If you daily drive it I'd sacrafice a mpg or two for the auto. I'm just too damn lazy to wanna shift in the stop and go, and on my way home from work when I wanna relax and enjoy the drive.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
The way the trans shifts has little to do with gas milage. What size tires and what axle ratio does the truck have?

Old 02-18-2013, 09:01 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
He also said he hated how it shifts.
If I couldn't fix the mpg I figured I'd explain and tell my experience with this trans to at least make him a little happier with what he has now.

Tire size is a big deal for sure. Fat tires or oversize tires don't help any.
I really like my 255-70-15s on my 351 1/2ton, but I only get 14on a good easy 55-60mph hyway cruise downhill. 4x4 and E4OD sucks up the power compared to an aod though.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:01 AM
ChristopherN
Elder User
I don't like you guys. I've had 10-11MPG out of my 93 f150 5.0 AOD no matter what as of late. I'm thinking it might be a clogged cat since it seems to run fine, much better since the vacuum lines have been replaced as well as EGR valve and map sensor... Last tune up was a couple months ago.

O2 Sensor has not been changed as I can't loosen the old one, my plan is to get the y pipe changed since the cat is where both pipes come together so I can't take just the cat out...

Old 02-19-2013, 11:13 AM
stewart89
Senior User
Originally Posted by ChristopherN
I don't like you guys. I've had 10-11MPG out of my 93 f150 5.0 AOD no matter what as of late. I'm thinking it might be a clogged cat since it seems to run fine, much better since the vacuum lines have been replaced as well as EGR valve and map sensor... Last tune up was a couple months ago.

O2 Sensor has not been changed as I can't loosen the old one, my plan is to get the y pipe changed since the cat is where both pipes come together so I can't take just the cat out...
I had the same problem with the O2 sensor, it's amazing how easy it comes off once you introduce the base to a torch though haha. As far as mileage goes though, I'm getting a consistent 19 ish in my 1995 super cab 5.0 5speed. It has 3.55 rear end and is 1wd, on top of that I'm running the stock 255's on it. Considering I'm still running the MAP set-up I'm quite pleased.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
I don't like you guys. I've had 10-11MPG out of my 93 f150 5.0 AOD no matter what as of late.
If the O2 is original then it's probably time it was changed, but pull the codes anyway and fix anything that come up. Heating the O2 bung with a propane torch will go a long way to breaking it lose, you're changing the sensor anyway so use whatever wrench grips and doesn't slip like a pipe wrench or vise grips. If your truck has dual tanks does it get the same milage on both. If one tank is not functioning it's very possible gas is being pumped into it as you drive, this cross flow problem is well documented and the fix is to either replace the pump module in that tank(because it contains the check valves) or completely disconnect the tank and plug the lines.

my plan is to get the y pipe changed since the cat is where both pipes come together so I can't take just the cat out...
I got one word for ya.. Longtubes. My truck gets 13 city and over 18 highway.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My '95/auto with 3.31 gears would get 20 mpg on a level road at 65 mph. I was amazed, and it was stock. Usually 16-17 around town if you drove like grandpa and let it lug around easily. Push on it and it would drop 2 mpg easy.

My '89/AOD with 3.55's gets 14 or so around town. Haven't had it on a nice long trip to find out highway mileage. With shorties and true duals I think it should do well.

Speed is what kils MPG on trucks. Wind resistance goes up exponentially with road speed and takes too much power to sustain mph.

is the 93 still cable controlled? I had to adjust my cable on my '89 as it shifted wayy too quick around town. I pulled the clip and slid the cable back a few notches and reclipped it. I moved the shift points up some. It doesn't go for OD til 45 mph now. I still hate it, but it's "better".

Old 02-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Freightrain
is the 93 still cable controlled?
I don't know if we can assume he has an actual AOD transmission, many people aren't aware there were 3 different automatic overdrive transmissions available in these trucks and use a blanket "AOD" term to refer to all of them. In another thread here recently we were a couple pages in before I discovered the OPs truck actually had an E4OD in it and not an AOD.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I know that it is right in those years things changed, so I'm curious.

Does it have the button on the shifter?? 4r or E40d (shift pattern PRND21). Or the shift pattern PRNDL ?(aod)

That is the one thing I had about the AOD, no 2nd gear. In the winter time it sucks that it just shifts around and you can't hold 2nd properly. I don't like putting it back into L, as if it does go below 15mph, it's going to dump into 1st!

Old 02-19-2013, 11:45 AM
ChristopherN
Elder User
Originally Posted by Conanski
If the O2 is original then it's probably time it was changed, but pull the codes anyway and fix anything that come up.

If your truck has dual tanks does it get the same mileage on both. If one tank is not functioning it's very possible gas is being pumped into it as you drive, this cross flow problem is well documented and the fix is to either replace the pump module in that tank(because it contains the check valves) or completely disconnect the tank and plug the lines.

I got one word for ya.. Longtubes. My truck gets 13 city and over 18 highway.
I stopped using the rear tank since it would back feed into the front tank, I've been using the front only since that happened two years ago. I've periodically checked the rear tank to make sure the level hasn't changed, so far so good. The fuel filter has been changed.

I would LOVE to change the rear fuel pump or whole tank since it's been sitting unused. However, I have not done so yet because I can't figure out what the famed "Fuel Delivery Module" is. Google brings up all the posts from this forum and no part numbers or places I can get it. Just loads of posts with people asking the same question over and over and zero results. Just more people saying they were able to fix it with the fuel delivery module.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Oh. .just do a search for "fuel pump" for your truck and in most cases what they are gonna sell you is the complete fuel delivery module which looks like this..

Old 02-19-2013, 01:15 PM
stewart89
Senior User
Dunne-Rite sells them for 80 I think. I just ordered my MAF conversion kit and injectors from there and remember seeing that on their site.

Quick Reply: gas milage