Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Superlift for IDI?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 03:57 PM
SnuffthePunkz
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Superlift for IDI?

Has anybody here run the lift on their trucks? I've been eye balling it simply because it's the only lift for the trucks I've found out there for the Dana 50 that bothers with the steering system to correct the camber and alignment angles.

Lift info: Overview · 1987 - 1997 Ford 3/4-ton F-250 Pickup 4WD · Superlift · www.superlift.com

Steering arms: Superunner™ Steering System · Superlift · www.superlift.com

The steering systems tie rods are kinda a weak point, but you can modify them to fit bigger rods and eliminate said weakness down the road. As was discussed in the following thread.

People that have the Super-runner steering??? - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®

I've heard mixed things about the lift kit. I already use this truck a lot for offroading, and plan to do more in the future. Some say it's amazing, others crap. I'm building this truck to go fast off road, and it's getting better, just reached the point where it needs more travel.

If the Superunner doesn't work out, I'll be going this way and using the superunner steering system till I build my own.

Best front setup I've seen, though likely costs a small fortune.

Coil over

Guy about 3/4 of the way down the page has a killer setup as well.

Strongest possible d50 or any TTB set-up - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Old 04-12-2013, 09:08 PM
94IDIsuperduty
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only TTB lift i have used is Rancho 4inch. But that was on a bronco. I had no issues with any of it. Would i do it again for the price? No

Old 04-12-2013, 09:29 PM
SnuffthePunkz
Laughing Gas
From everything I've heard Rancho's on OBS trucks are perfectly fine for a daily driver, but can suffer when offroading. I can see the appeal of tossing a Dana 60 under a truck, but with the roads and trails we have out here IFS is king, even with the Dana 50's ****ty travel due too the leafs it still out performs any solid axle I've run into out there.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:43 AM
goose_ss4
Senior User
Originally Posted by SnuffthePunkz
From everything I've heard Rancho's on OBS trucks are perfectly fine for a daily driver, but can suffer when offroading. I can see the appeal of tossing a Dana 60 under a truck, but with the roads and trails we have out here IFS is king, even with the Dana 50's ****ty travel due too the leafs it still out performs any solid axle I've run into out there.

I might have an old lift for a dana50 ttb 4" I just took off if interested in trying. Then you can modify it later.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:59 AM
Gettysburg150
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SnuffthePunkz
Not to start a pissing match but I'd like to see this solid axle trucks that can't compete with a TTB

A 60 swap done properly will give you all sorts of everything that you want off road and on road, IF designed and fabricated properly. They are extremely easy to set up and there is tons of info online. For the cost of that kit you could probably do a 60 swap on par or cheaper and have a much more capable rig

Old 04-13-2013, 09:15 AM
SnuffthePunkz
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by goose_ss4
I might have an old lift for a dana50 ttb 4" I just took off if interested in trying. Then you can modify it later.
Who is it by, I'm always up for a deal.

Originally Posted by Gettysburg150
Not to start a pissing match but I'd like to see this solid axle trucks that can't compete with a TTB

A 60 swap done properly will give you all sorts of everything that you want off road and on road, IF designed and fabricated properly. They are extremely easy to set up and there is tons of info online. For the cost of that kit you could probably do a 60 swap on par or cheaper and have a much more capable rig
Hey don't worry, you won't **** me off, I've been going over the pro's and con's of the axles for years. When I go and build my go anywhere IDI bronco, it will be running a Dana 60, but for this application the Dana 50 is simply better.

Solid axles are great I won't deny that for a second, just the forest service roads out here are so heavily deactivated (holes excavated into the ground with the intent of making it hard/impossible for commercial trucks to enter and work/steal in the area) that without some serious money into them they just hinder you. My uncle has a 97 OBS F350 with a D60 front axle, both our trucks are stock height (F250HD on my part), and he has more clearance than I and his axle gets him in all kinds of trouble all the time. More than once I've had to pull him off rocks/logs he got his diff wedged onto (Biggest issue up here, happens to Fords/Dodges/Chevy's, Dana 60 is commonly known for this), other times he gets caught in ruts to deep and the axle has no flex and he just ends up pushing the diff into the ground and having the wheels spin. He has a 12,000lb Ramsey winch he keeps on hand because it's such a common problem. Granted he could lift the truck, but he has a hard enough time climbing into it as it is with his health issues (End stage kidney failure, been on dialysis for years).

My buddy went from a solid axle Jeep to a IFS 2005 Jeep WK and he would never go back, just the amount of pot holes, rock slides, snow, washouts and other obstacles you have to deal with a IFS axle absorbs the bumps better and keeps you on track going at higher rates of speed than a solid axle can without looking into something along the lines of Carli suspension systems, and even with them you still run into the issues I mentioned in the previous paragraph.

Dodge Ram Suspension, Dodge Suspension and Ford Super Duty Suspension Systems - Carli Suspension, Inc

Dana 60's are phenomenal axles I've spent more time rebuilding them over the last two years than most will in a decade, but on truck that I want to build the way I do, and get some (small) air with. The 50 is just better.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:42 AM
ozdatman
Senior User
If I was ever to do a 4' lift on mine this is what I would do
Axle Tech Bolt-On Portal Axle Conversion Kits - Starting at $3,249.95

Old 04-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Gettysburg150
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I see your point, in those conditions the extra flex will probably help if your plowing with the differential.

Do you know how much clearance the 50 has out of curiousity?

I dont know if you've considered the increase in clearance with a swap. But I don't know what your budget is either. If you get a used kit for what you got now you will probably be happy and worlds ahead then sourcing an axle, springs, kit, welding stuff up, etc etc. But the 60 would handle more abuse and have less wear items in equally equiped (stock) forms. I've seen a couple custom TTB set ups that have made me drool though

Mine has a 60 but its not going down any forest roads any time soon, too big, long, wide, heavy, etc, etc

Thats what 2 wheels are for

Old 04-13-2013, 10:06 AM
goose_ss4
Senior User
There was a Bronco in sd when I was stationed there that had on of these ttb under it, and since the full size Dana 50 are bigger, with the extra meat, he sectioned and reinforce the axle arms. His first set up was custom leafs really nice super strong and best time, but bronco frame was to weak where it mounted and started to bend. Next he went to a four link with race coil overs. Everything super stretched out.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:09 AM
goose_ss4
Senior User
I want to get rid of my axle and lift. So I will cut deals. Idk prices. Last guy was offering 300 for lift another 200 for axle. I was goingto give him everything. Email me.

goose_ss4@yahoo

Old 04-13-2013, 10:15 AM
SnuffthePunkz
Laughing Gas
Coil over is kinda the way to go, but full on fabs of that can be pricey if you can't weld yourself. Coil over in the front and 4-link in the back is the dream, but that might take some time.