6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Tough decision/ advice welcome

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 02:51 AM
ATX F250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tough decision/ advice welcome

Hey all, I have been reading and reading and reading about tuning, deleting, etc. I have a tough decision to make. I have a 2008 Job 3 with 32k miles and the warranty will expire come May 2013. I don't drive the truck hard or pull anything. I follow the strict maintenance intervals. The way I see it, I have 3 options. 1. Purchase the Ford ESP for $2,000. 2. Go with a Spartan tuner/dpf delete or 3. Go with the gearbox z dpf-r plus package. I have read and researched, etc, but I just don't know what the best choice is. I am going to do something, just have to figure out what. Cost isnt the issue. I don't need high power gains and even fuel mileage doesnt matter to me that much. I dont want to deal with regens destroying this engine. I want longevity.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:59 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ATX F250
Hey all, I have been reading and reading and reading about tuning, deleting, etc. I have a tough decision to make. I have a 2008 Job 3 with 32k miles and the warranty will expire come May 2013. I don't drive the truck hard or pull anything. I follow the strict maintenance intervals. The way I see it, I have 3 options. 1. Purchase the Ford ESP for $2,000. 2. Go with a Spartan tuner/dpf delete or 3. Go with the gearbox z dpf-r plus package. I have read and researched, etc, but I just don't know what the best choice is. I am going to do something, just have to figure out what. Cost isnt the issue. I don't need high power gains and even fuel mileage doesnt matter to me that much. I dont want to deal with regens destroying this engine. I want longevity.
You and I are in the same boat! My '10 only has 18k miles on her and i am scared of losing the remaining warranty. However, I tow very heavy in the mountains of N GA, and NC a lot. I've been in my F450(work) truck twice when an EGT sensor went out and it shut the truck down very quickly. I DO NOT want to be coming down a mountain road with 25k pounds and one of those sensors shut the truck down. Especially with my family in there with me. I am looking into the Gear Box Z package as well. I do not need nor do I want an extra 200hp. I just want the dang regen turned off and a delete. My only problem with the GBZ package is I've read that the block off plates for the EGRs leave a lot to be desired. Not sure of what I want to do. Glad to see someone else is having the same thoughts. I had forgotten about the GBZ package until I saw Senix's post the other day. I talked to Tony at GBZ, and he suggested the AFEII kit with the stainless pipe and +70hp increase. Still not sure if their EGR plate block is enough though. Maybe someone that uses it will chime in. Brown Dog KTM runs a Gear Box dpf-r on his. I am going to PM him and see what he suggests.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:06 AM
ATX F250
Senior User
Originally Posted by golfmedik
You and I are in the same boat! My '10 only has 18k miles on her and i am scared of losing the remaining warranty. However, I tow very heavy in the mountains of N GA, and NC a lot. I've been in my F450(work) truck twice when an EGT sensor went out and it shut the truck down very quickly. I DO NOT want to be coming down a mountain road with 25k pounds and one of those sensors shut the truck down. Especially with my family in there with me. I am looking into the Gear Box Z package as well. I do not need nor do I want an extra 200hp. I just want the dang regen turned off and a delete. My only problem with the GBZ package is I've read that the block off plates for the EGRs leave a lot to be desired. Not sure of what I want to do. Glad to see someone else is having the same thoughts. I had forgotten about the GBZ package until I saw Senix's post the other day. I talked to Tony at GBZ, and he suggested the AFEII kit with the stainless pipe and +70hp increase. Still not sure if their EGR plate block is enough though. Maybe someone that uses it will chime in. Brown Dog KTM runs a Gear Box dpf-r on his. I am going to PM him and see what he suggests.
I dont think the EGR block off plates are mandatory though. I was also under the impression that running them could build more pressure thus causing cooler failures.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:00 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I am still runing the dpf myself. I run the banks 6 gun with the IQ to monitor/read/clear codes.

It has been a great setup for me. I just rolled over to 77K. The one thing I like about it is if I have an issue I can easily remove the unit if I am on the road somewhere else. To me that is very important when traveling cross country. One of the reason I still am running it.

Still have the regens but they are not problematic for me and usually around 350 miles apart unloaded and around 130 miles with the heavy 5er.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:30 AM
ATX F250
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
I am still runing the dpf myself. I run the banks 6 gun with the IQ to monitor/read/clear codes.

It has been a great setup for me. I just rolled over to 77K. The one thing I like about it is if I have an issue I can easily remove the unit if I am on the road somewhere else. To me that is very important when traveling cross country. One of the reason I still am running it.

Still have the regens but they are not problematic for me and usually around 350 miles apart unloaded and around 130 miles with the heavy 5er.
LOL, THANKS SENIX! as if this process wasn't hard enough for me.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Rudiak
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I am in the same boat. I decided not to get the esp. I am at 62k and warranty and engine warranty runs out this year. I am 100% stock and will leave it that way. I will also follow the same strict mantenance I have been. There are many trucks with a lot of mileage running around. Good Luck.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:50 PM
rustyculley
Senior User
I just bought the GBZ Tachyon64 and will prolly get their monitor as soon as it becomes available. Don't have anything against the Minis or Spartans but I just couldn't see spending the coin on something that I don't need. I just want to get rid of the DPF/Regen and increase mileage while increasing engine life. I have almost 150000 miles on the ticker right now bone stock. We will see how she behaves with a little free breathing going on.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:41 AM
ATX F250
Senior User
Originally Posted by rustyculley
I just bought the GBZ Tachyon64 and will prolly get their monitor as soon as it becomes available. Don't have anything against the Minis or Spartans but I just couldn't see spending the coin on something that I don't need. I just want to get rid of the DPF/Regen and increase mileage while increasing engine life. I have almost 150000 miles on the ticker right now bone stock. We will see how she behaves with a little free breathing going on.

Awesome. Did you get the EGR block off plates too? I am very curious to see how this goes for you. Please report back. Thanks.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:18 AM
Delta2142
Senior User
I'm also thinking about a DPF/CAT delete so this month I will buy a Gear box z just to have around if I decide to follow thru.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:30 PM
JcF204
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 74k on mine, buying a Spartan in about a month.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:23 PM
rustyculley
Senior User
I didn't get the EGR block off plates, but I want to do that in the future. I just got my delete pipes delivered today. Haven't received the GBZ tuner yet. I'm really looking forward to no more regen cycles and longer oil change intervals.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:26 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by rustyculley
I didn't get the EGR block off plates, but I want to do that in the future. I just got my delete pipes delivered today. Haven't received the GBZ tuner yet. I'm really looking forward to no more regen cycles and longer oil change intervals.
Might want to reconsider the longer oil change intervals. Valve train wear will increase.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:44 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Might want to reconsider the longer oil change intervals. Valve train wear will increase.
Why would removing the fuel in your oil(deleting the DPF) increase valve train wear???

Old 02-19-2013, 08:13 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
Why would removing the fuel in your oil(deleting the DPF) increase valve train wear???
I think Senix meant that if he goes longer on oil changes, the valve train wear will increase. Not removing the fuel will cause it.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:21 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by golfmedik
I think Senix meant that if he goes longer on oil changes, the valve train wear will increase. Not removing the fuel will cause it.
Exactly. There are some components that wear easy in this motor.

For the record you may still have a certain amount of fuel dillution due to the design of this motor. It is a heavy boost motor. The rings don't get a good seal until they have expanded in the cylinders. In other words expect .5 >1% dillution.

What I get now with the dpf on.

Quick Reply: Tough decision/ advice welcome