6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

2013 super duty 6.2L 4x4 with the 3.73's or 4.30's

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 01:53 PM
05v10
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waiting for the warranty period to expire for the tuner. I read about how the throttle responds to the pedal position in relation to rpm's. Silverbullet glad to hear it'll spin the tires because mine has to be on wet ground to do that. Coming from a V10 to this is a big change because the 10 did everything on low end. The 6.2 lacks alot on the low end until I get it rolling and suddenly it comes to life and then it's fun. I also got 14.8 on the last trip something the V10 could never get close to. Still wouldn't trade for a diesel.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:46 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I was going to wait until the warranty was up as well, then remembered that I had purchased an extended warranty. I'd be waiting forever.. ha ha. The drive by wire is another limiting factor with the stock tune. With the 5 star on it, mash the throttle and the truck GOES...

Here's the video of what I described in my last post at the Ohio meet (Monster-4 (Mike) hosting the event, narrating, and filming). I had to let up a bit to stop the spinning which killed my start, but ended up doing pretty decently nonetheless. Gonna use the locker or 4wd next time around.

FTE Meet June 2012 - 2000silverbullet - YouTube

Old 03-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Tim Hills
New User
Thankyou very much for all your imput, with the resposes I've read I decided on the 4.30's

Old 03-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Tim Hills
New User
any of you guys happen to know if the rearview camera display in the lariats comes up in the rear view mirrow aswell as the dash and if so can the dash display be turned off?

thanks, tim

Old 10-23-2013, 07:53 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by 8iron
The seemingly lack of low end power has more to do with Ford's tuning than actual power band. The engine won't go to WOT until higher in the RPM range regardless of pedal position (others will know the actual RPM). Tuners such as Five Star make a considerable difference for the lower end power.
Bringing up an older thread, but I find this claim hard to believe. Floor the pedal, and the throttle opens all the way (granted, moved electrically). I think 8iron suspects the throttle only fully opens at a higher RPM because that is where he feels a surge of power. In fact, this surge of power does not come from the throttle plate suddenly opening, but rather from the De-VCT system actuating and providing more high end pull by varying the valve timing.

I'm not saying a tuner wouldn't increase the output of this engine, because it probably will. Keep in mind this motor is detuned in SuperDuty form anyway...but I find it to have plenty of power. While 3.73's may stunt pulling power just a bit, the Torqshift 6 has a lower than usual first gear which gets things moving quickly enough.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Jettix2
Senior User
Originally Posted by troverman
Bringing up an older thread, but I find this claim hard to believe. Floor the pedal, and the throttle opens all the way (granted, moved electrically). I think 8iron suspects the throttle only fully opens at a higher RPM because that is where he feels a surge of power. In fact, this surge of power does not come from the throttle plate suddenly opening, but rather from the De-VCT system actuating and providing more high end pull by varying the valve timing.

I'm not saying a tuner wouldn't increase the output of this engine, because it probably will. Keep in mind this motor is detuned in SuperDuty form anyway...but I find it to have plenty of power. While 3.73's may stunt pulling power just a bit, the Torqshift 6 has a lower than usual first gear which gets things moving quickly enough.
Actually, Mike @ 5 Star Tuning had a computer hooked to his truck and was able to see that throttle plate was indeed limited by RPM in the factory Ford tune, as sort of a torque limiter. To quote him: "In fact the factory programming has limits on the max throttle blade opening that PCM allows and is based on RPM range engine is operating in. Full throttle blade opening in factory programming is only allowed at 4500 RPMs. "

Old 10-23-2013, 08:29 AM
troverman
Hotshot
That would definitely be surprising. I understand when the traction control is activated, engine power is reduced by cutting the throttle. In fact, at least initially, the whole point of electronic throttle was to enable more sophisticated traction control systems.

Still, I have an OBDII scan tool which can display PID parameters. If I floor the throttle with the key on engine off, you're telling me it won't open to 100%? I know their are automatic RPM limits to how much you can rev your engine with the trans in park or neutral.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:39 AM
Jettix2
Senior User
I haven't verified it, but yes, that's what the consensus is, and I do believe it. It's not surprising at all, Nissan does the same thing with the Titan/Armada to save driveline components........(IIRC, the Titan 5.6L doesn't get "full" throttle until 3rd gear).

I've driven both with and without the tune (both 87 and 93 octane versions), and it makes a HUGE different in low RPM throttle response.....With the tune, off the line, I had wheelspin, which was never possible before the tune. I was also able to hold speed on hills towing in 3rd at, say, 3000 rpm with the tune when it used to have to downshift to 2nd and run ~5,000 rpm. So, do I believe what Mike claims on his site about the throttle plate limiting.

Check it with your OBDII tool and get back to us, I'd be interested to hear what you find. I actually have an OBD code reader but have not tried to see if it has the functions yours has.

That would definitely be surprising. I understand when the traction control is activated, engine power is reduced by cutting the throttle. In fact, at least initially, the whole point of electronic throttle was to enable more sophisticated traction control systems.

Still, I have an OBDII scan tool which can display PID parameters. If I floor the throttle with the key on engine off, you're telling me it won't open to 100%? I know their are automatic RPM limits to how much you can rev your engine with the trans in park or neutral.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:52 AM
troverman
Hotshot
I will do some testing and report back. How much is the tune? The other question is, why did Ford do this? I can't imagine it was to protect driveline components, considering the same tranny is used on the diesel, same rear end, etc.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:02 AM
Jettix2
Senior User
I will do some testing and report back. How much is the tune? The other question is, why did Ford do this? I can't imagine it was to protect driveline components, considering the same tranny is used on the diesel, same rear end, etc.
Tune is ~~$450 IIRC. Dunno why Ford did it, seems kind of stupid, ie the diesel has 2x the amount of torque off the line, I agree.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:54 AM
troverman
Hotshot
OK, so I just snuck out from work and conducted the test (since my scan tool happened to be in the truck). Here is the results:

With Key On Engine Off and accelerator pedal fully released:

ABSLT TPS(%) 18
REL TPS(%) 5.9
THROT CMD(%) 9.0
THR POS B(%) 23.5
ACC POS D(%) 15.3
ACC POS E(%) 7.8

With Key On Engine Off and accelerator pedal fully depressed:

ABSLT TPS(%) 75.3
REL TPS(%) 63.1
THROT CMD(%) 100
THR POS B(%) 88.2
ACC POS D(%) 78.8
ACC POS E(%) 39.6

I realize some of these values are learned, or relative values. It would be interesting to see what REL TPS(%) changes to above 4500 RPM.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Jettix2
Senior User
Hurry up and take your lunch break so you can check what it reads on the road

OK, so I just snuck out from work and conducted the test (since my scan tool happened to be in the truck). Here is the results:

With Key On Engine Off and accelerator pedal fully released:

ABSLT TPS(%) 18
REL TPS(%) 5.9
THROT CMD(%) 9.0
THR POS B(%) 23.5
ACC POS D(%) 15.3
ACC POS E(%) 7.8

With Key On Engine Off and accelerator pedal fully depressed:

ABSLT TPS(%) 75.3
REL TPS(%) 63.1
THROT CMD(%) 100
THR POS B(%) 88.2
ACC POS D(%) 78.8
ACC POS E(%) 39.6

I realize some of these values are learned, or relative values. It would be interesting to see what REL TPS(%) changes to above 4500 RPM.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:25 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
This is why stock sucks. The tuner wakes this truck up, and the trans programming is so much better.

And yes, the throttle plate does not fully open when you floor it. Doesn't happen until you get to the upper end of the RPM's...

Old 10-23-2013, 10:28 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Silverbullet, I'm assuming you have the tune installed? Have you had any engine / trans issues since? How many miles running the tune?

Lastly, do you happen to have access to an OBDII scanner which can display the PID values? I'd be curious to see if they are changed with the tune installed.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:36 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Silverbullet, I'm assuming you have the tune installed? Have you had any engine / trans issues since? How many miles running the tune?

Lastly, do you happen to have access to an OBDII scanner which can display the PID values? I'd be curious to see if they are changed with the tune installed.
Yep, I've been running a 93 tune for almost a year now. Probably have about 12k on it. My truck's use has been extremely limited now that I work from home. Zero issues thus far and runs great. I'm heading to the dealer in the next couple of weeks to get an inspection/oil change and will be reverting to stock, which I dread. Going to try and get them to drop the TPMS threshold while I'm there. I ran at the Ohio meet with the 93 tune as well (trailer was 15k lbs).

I only have the Android Torque app and a BT OBD connector. It has limited visibility of PID's, and most require some extensive mathematics to make them work, which I don't have time to mess with.

Quick Reply: 2013 super duty 6.2L 4x4 with the 3.73's or 4.30's