Sponsored by: DP Tuner

edge evolution tuners

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 04:29 PM
mustangmatt
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
edge evolution tuners

Hey all, I just picked up an edge evolution tuner from a friend for 50 bucks. it was made in 2007(not sure if this matters) anyway I've been reading on the internet that it fries transmissions up all the time. No one was really asking the question I am so here it is:

I drive conservatively, occasionally getting down on the pedal, I'm mostly out for MPG, will this hurt my transmission? I can still give the tuner back its not too late.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:51 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 472 Likes on 325 Posts
If budget is tight, the edge is fun to mess around with, especially at that price. I got 3 years out of mine before upgrading. I feathered the go-pedal on shifts at higher power levels to minimize the trans abuse. Worked for me. You'll want the EGT sensor wired in, as the Edge tunes run hot.

I doubt the unit will help with MPG much, so keep your expectations low there. I liked how the edge on higher settings brought the power on sooner in the pedal travel, though the trade-off was the torque converter did not lock up as often because I was not at 3/4 pedal as much.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had an Edge Evo in my Excursion for about 100K, now has 180k on it and everything is fine, it has gauges, and a scanner built in which is nice. That being said the Dp tuner in my work truck is WAY more awesomer! It will ROAST tie tires on the lowest setting and can switch tunes on the fly. I usually run it stock even when towing except when it's hilly when towing or there's a ricer beside me.

Also when switching tunes on the Edge, you cross your fingers because sometimes it takes forever and you worry it will lock up. Im still going to keep the Edge on stock for gauges and scanner and get a new DP for the Ex when I'm less broke than now.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:20 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by BWST
If budget is tight, the edge is fun to mess around with, especially at that price. I got 3 years out of mine before upgrading. I feathered the go-pedal on shifts at higher power levels to minimize the trans abuse. Worked for me. You'll want the EGT sensor wired in, as the Edge tunes run hot.
You did not have an Evolution. You had a Juice which in no way is the same as an Evolution so you're comparing the proverbial "apples to oranges". There is no transmission tuning capability with the Juice, but since the original question was in regard to the Evolution (which just happens to "tune" the transmission in exactly the same fashion as any "custom tuner" out there), I say run it.

To the OP:
For the price, you got a heck of a bargain. Run that sucker! If these guys talk you into getting a chip from somebody, I'll give you the $50 you spent on it and use it myself!!

Old 02-14-2013, 07:31 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Same here.
With having 4 powerstrokes now and looking at another one, its hard to afford to tune all of them. And really I just enjoy the increased throttle responce. Even in the lowest setting the takeoff power and increased responce makes driving it easier and you're not stuck in the intersection waiting for the power to come on so you don't get tboned.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Ive been using a Edge Evolution for over 5 years in my 02.
I tow almost every day and put some long hard miles on my truck.
The Edge keeps it running like a new truck, I have no need or want for any other tuner/chip.
I keep it on the middle setting even when towing.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:27 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 472 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
You did not have an Evolution. You had a Juice which in no way is the same as an Evolution so you're comparing the proverbial "apples to oranges". There is no transmission tuning capability with the Juice, but since the original question was in regard to the Evolution (which just happens to "tune" the transmission in exactly the same fashion as any "custom tuner" out there), I say run it.

You've corrected me a few times on this - I'll learn eventually.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:20 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by BWST
You've corrected me a few times on this - I'll learn eventually.
No hard feelings, man.

One day I will have corrected everyone on this issue and then there will be nothing for me to anybody over.